Penalty rule you would change | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Penalty rule you would change

Pass interference is my big one. I think its way to ambiguous. Way too many called on DBs who (imo) are just playing the game. Next would be roughing the passer. Again, way to ambiguous. Let them play football. A hit is a hit. Oh and last......the dang tuck rule.
They need to call the entire season like the playoffs. I was in and out and doing other things but I don’t remember seeing a single defensive PI this weekend. I only recall the pick vs Ravens. I didn’t watch the Browns, Seahawks or Bears games at all though. I’m kind of a Dolphins fan and there isn’t one team left I like. I guess as long as it’s not Buffalo, Baltimore or TB I’m fine. Don’t even know who to root for in that Buffalo vs Baltimore game. Probably the Bills because it would make for a more exciting title game I guess.

I wish that all offensive holding calls would be 5 yards and not 10.
I think scoring would increase
I really think current technology if implemented properly could take a lot of the guesswork out of the whole out of bounds conversation. Implement RFID and track the field and it will show whether the chips built into the receiver's shoes crossed the plane or not. hard to imagine it hasn't been done already.

Obviously, grabbing a facemask should be a personal foul, but just "hands to the face" as an automatic 1st down always seemed odd to me

Penalties, more so game changing pass interference plays need to be reviewable. Whether by challenge or via the booth inside 2 minutes.

Not as much a new penalty, but a couple things I’d like to see changed in the officiating process:

1. Make pass interference challengeable, both called on the field and not called on the field

With spot fouls, these penalties can result in 30-40 yard gains. Way too much on the line for these not to be reviewed - See 2020 Raiders vs Dolphins

2. Either call holding, or don’t

The “holding” rule is way too inconsistent in the league. We’ve all heard the phrase “holding can be called on every play”. It’s true, to an extent. It’s true because simply having the defenders Jersey move looks like holding.

OL are taught at a young age to grab on to the breast plate of the shoulder pads and use that as your hand placement point. If an OL gets a perfect punch and engages (grabs inside the pads) and the rusher moves in any direction, it’s going to look like holding. In reality, the OL is still in full control of the defender no matter how much his jersey moves.

I’m tired of seeing an OL latch on a bury a guy but because his Jersey moves (as he’s getting the pancake) it’s holding.

Meanwhile, you have other guys out sticking their arms out on edge rushers and getting a quick pull and letting go and no flag.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk

Do not award an automatic first down on defensive holding or illegal use of hands. Far too punitive on a 3rd and 25 play.

I really think current technology if implemented properly could take a lot of the guesswork out of the whole out of bounds conversation. Implement RFID and track the field and it will show whether the chips built into the receiver's shoes crossed the plane or not. hard to imagine it hasn't been done already.
Could also be used in the football to take away guess work on where the ball is spotted etc.

I would agree with the poster that wrote that the straight arm to the face should be banned. Never understood why a defender could not, but an offensive player can...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom