Penalty rule you would change | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Penalty rule you would change

Bull. Why doesn’t that happen in college football then?
Because nfl open guys open deep in the NFL really have like a step separation whereas in college when a guy is beat the defender couldn't pull then down if they wanted.half the time.

Because nfl open guys open deep in the NFL really have like a step separation whereas in college when a guy is beat the defender couldn't pull then down if they wanted.half the time.
That's total conjecture. I don't buy your theory.

I'll echo so many others, it's gotta be pass interference. Just way too much ambiguity and room for error, and way too many close games have been decided by it.

I'm not sure what the solution is though. The 15 yd penalty sounds good in theory, but could be easily manipulated by DBs who know they've been beat.
Spot penalty doesn't really work for me either though. Unless the ball was both extremely catchable and there was BLATANT interference. Looking back at the Raiders game, that was total BS that almost cost us the season. Those kinda calls simply cannot happen anymore. The refs have far too much power to sway the outcome of a game.

Defensive holding should be a 10 yard penalty and a redo of downs. Defensive pass interference should be a spot foul and an automatic 1st down. The difference between the two should be like a technical vs flagrant foul; some contact is a holding call and dragging a guy down because you’re beat is DPI. Anytime the flag is thrown for either call it should be automatically reviewed.

To me ...the whole football needs to cross the the goal line ...none of that breaking the plane crap...get it in!!
Then we would have replays Ad nauseum to see if the BACK of the football crossed the line lol

Defensive Pass Interference.

inside 15 yards it’s a spot foul. Beyond 15 it’s 15 yards.

Jersey numbers.

wear any jersey number you want at any position ! Just another No Fun League rule. Get rid of it !!

Agree with the various PI rule changes and the pick play. Pretty much anything that reduces the advantages given passing offense, as long as it doesn't raise injuries dramatically. It won't happen though, the league believes more passing O = more $.

I would get rid of the qb out of the pocket gets to just launch the ball out of bounds. Your defense kills itself to cover, and pressure the qb, and they get a free pass.
Agreed. Ridiculous rule. That rule didn't exist when I started following football. To avoid intentional grounding it had to reach the vicinity of an eligible receiver.

In contrast to what someone else posted, I think offensive holding should return to a 15 yard penalty. That's what it was decades ago. It's also the reason many of the old time quarterbacks had huge yards per completion but also high interceptions rates. They had to force matters for the first down. These days with so many other rules catering to offense and very low interception rate, it would be a great partial equalizer to restore to 15 yard penalty and make the offenses earn it. Holding is not called as frequently anyway.

At least one foot should be behind the line of scrimmage to avoid illegal forward pass. Why is that so complicated? It's no different than keeping feet in bounds. Granted the situation doesn't come up often but it's preposterous to allow everything beyond the line as long as an extended back leg is at or behind.

As another poster mentioned, illegal contact should be extended to 10 yards not 5. Or make it a compromise like 7. Would that be too much for a referee to keep track of? Why does everything have to be a multiple of 5? NBA has no trouble with a 24 second clock, which has been around quite a bit longer than I've been alive.

The biggest change of all needs to be simply spotting the ball correctly. Every year NFL and college teams are granted thousands of yards combined that they didn't earn. It is disgusting to stop the tape and watch the ball consistently spotted a foot or more beyond the actual end point. That's why almost every replay review of that type involved moving the ball backward, not forward.

This may go against player safety but I think it's time to drop the 40 second clock down to 35. That would add considerably more plays, and these days huddles aren't used anyway so there's no issue in being ready on time. When I began following football there was no such thing as a 40 second clock. The play clock was 30 seconds after the ball was spotted. But that became problematic because some referees were slow to spot the ball while others were fast. Obviously sometimes the ball got kicked away or otherwise delayed, which added to the inconsistent nature. That's why they went to a blanket 40. Changing to a 35 second clock would make the end of games more interesting because -- for example -- you could not simply kneel 3 times at the 2 minute warning if the opponent is out of time outs.

Back
Top Bottom