Penalty rule you would change | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Penalty rule you would change

The answer to the question is obvious.

Fumbling out of bounds in the end zone gives the ball to the other team at the 20. This is the dumbest rule in all of sports.

Pass interference spot foul, and automatic first down penalties...
If it’s 4th and 23 and the linger gets roughed it’s now 4th and 8.
Same with defensive holding. If it’s 3rd and 19 and you hold it’s ten yards not automatic first down..

Move back the kick off to the 25 and move touchbacks to the 15, if the kicker puts it through the end zone it goes to the 25. That would make kickoffs kickass.

Pass interference 15 yard penalty instead of the spot of the foul.
That's a tough one. A defense could use that rule to their advantage and absolutely manhandle a receiver who has them beat deep.

Maybe it's a judgment call between spot of the foul or 15 yards?

Pass interference is my big one. I think its way to ambiguous. Way too many called on DBs who (imo) are just playing the game. Next would be roughing the passer. Again, way to ambiguous. Let them play football. A hit is a hit. Oh and last......the dang tuck rule.
The roughing the passer call has gone a little too far IMO. It's almost to the point where quarterbacks should wear flags.

Pass interference maxed at 25/30 yards.
I can't stand when a team with no shot heaves it downfield and refs hand them 40-50 free yards. I was livid late in the raiders game
That's a play that should be reviewable.

If I want safety, I watch ballet.
Right! I'm not sure what the percentage of kickoffs returned are, but I'd guess maybe 20 percent. That took a lot of excitement out of the game.

The onside kick rule that was amended a few years ago is bad too. I know the NFL discussed different options, like essentially a 4th and 15 to get possession. Something like that. That would be much better.

I'll echo so many others, it's gotta be pass interference. Just way too much ambiguity and room for error, and way too many close games have been decided by it.

I'm not sure what the solution is though. The 15 yd penalty sounds good in theory, but could be easily manipulated by DBs who know they've been beat.
Spot penalty doesn't really work for me either though. Unless the ball was both extremely catchable and there was BLATANT interference. Looking back at the Raiders game, that was total BS that almost cost us the season. Those kinda calls simply cannot happen anymore. The refs have far too much power to sway the outcome of a game.
That is a tough one. We've all seen games where the offense can't move the ball and then they get the PI call deep down the field. When a penalty is such a momentum changer, or the biggest "play" in the game something isn't right. I'm not sure the answer on that one either. I think the officials should only call PI if it is really obvious. I'm kind of a "let the players play" kind of guy.

Agreed. Ridiculous rule. That rule didn't exist when I started following football. To avoid intentional grounding it had to reach the vicinity of an eligible receiver.

In contrast to what someone else posted, I think offensive holding should return to a 15 yard penalty. That's what it was decades ago. It's also the reason many of the old time quarterbacks had huge yards per completion but also high interceptions rates. They had to force matters for the first down. These days with so many other rules catering to offense and very low interception rate, it would be a great partial equalizer to restore to 15 yard penalty and make the offenses earn it. Holding is not called as frequently anyway.

At least one foot should be behind the line of scrimmage to avoid illegal forward pass. Why is that so complicated? It's no different than keeping feet in bounds. Granted the situation doesn't come up often but it's preposterous to allow everything beyond the line as long as an extended back leg is at or behind.

As another poster mentioned, illegal contact should be extended to 10 yards not 5. Or make it a compromise like 7. Would that be too much for a referee to keep track of? Why does everything have to be a multiple of 5? NBA has no trouble with a 24 second clock, which has been around quite a bit longer than I've been alive.

The biggest change of all needs to be simply spotting the ball correctly. Every year NFL and college teams are granted thousands of yards combined that they didn't earn. It is disgusting to stop the tape and watch the ball consistently spotted a foot or more beyond the actual end point. That's why almost every replay review of that type involved moving the ball backward, not forward.

This may go against player safety but I think it's time to drop the 40 second clock down to 35. That would add considerably more plays, and these days huddles aren't used anyway so there's no issue in being ready on time. When I began following football there was no such thing as a 40 second clock. The play clock was 30 seconds after the ball was spotted. But that became problematic because some referees were slow to spot the ball while others were fast. Obviously sometimes the ball got kicked away or otherwise delayed, which added to the inconsistent nature. That's why they went to a blanket 40. Changing to a 35 second clock would make the end of games more interesting because -- for example -- you could not simply kneel 3 times at the 2 minute warning if the opponent is out of time outs.
Good idea on the 35-second clock.

After thinking it over, here's what I think could work for defensive holding. As the rule stands now, defensive holding is a 5-yard penalty and an automatic first down.

I get the intent of the rule, but we've all seen those 3rd and 25 plays where a defense has dominated and a hold gets the offense out of the huge hole. How about this.....

* If the hold occurs before the first down marker, it is a 5-yard penalty and repeat of down.
*If the hold is beyond the first down marker, it is a 5-yard penalty and automatic first down.

I don't have the answer for PI, although I would make that play reviewable. I favor letting the players play, meaning only calling the obvious fouls. Perhaps, there could be a 5-yard version of PI for minor contact and repeat of down. But, in general, I don't think officials should have too many judgement calls.

Roughing the passer needs to be revisited again. Maybe something between the old rule and the new rule, which I think has gone too far.

I would get rid of the qb out of the pocket gets to just launch the ball out of bounds. Your defense kills itself to cover, and pressure the qb, and they get a free pass.
Couldn't have agree more. With the current PI rule, its already so stack against the defense already, now you give qb a free pass because he's out of the pocket?

I like to add, need to enforce grounding when qb throw out of the end zone. Same reason as out of pocket.

Back
Top Bottom