Pennington wins AP comeback player of the year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pennington wins AP comeback player of the year

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
One rotator cuff injury often is enough to ruin a premier athlete's career. Chad Pennington overcame two in two years to win The Associated Press NFL Comeback Player of the Year award.

The New York Jets had become too accustomed to seeing Pennington leave the field with a damaged right shoulder. After the 2004 season and again midway through 2005, he underwent surgery to repair his right rotator cuff.
There's was so much doubt about Pennington returning to form that the Jets had four quarterbacks in training camp last summer, including a second-round draft pick.

So all the seven-year veteran did was lead the Jets to a surprising 10-6 record and a wild-card berth one season after they went 4-12 -- most of it with him sidelined -- and changed coaches. Pennington's precise execution of a short passing game made Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery into 1,000-yard receivers and offset a mediocre running game.

Not surprisingly, Pennington didn't see winning the award, announced Thursday, as an individual honor.

"The organization has been great in providing me with all kinds of special resources to get back healthy and play at a high level," he said. "My teammates have been behind me since Day 1. For us to be able to put it together out on the field would mean a lot ... it's been such a team effort."
Pennington's efforts earned him 27 votes in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL. He finished far ahead of two other quarterbacks, Drew Brees of New Orleans (81/2) and Carson Palmer of Cincinnati (51/2).

"He never reinvented himself," Coles said of Pennington, who passed for a career-best 3,352 yards and finished second in the AFC with a 95.7 passer rating. "You all [in the media] were the ones who left him for dead. I'm pretty sure he didn't leave himself for dead or he wouldn't be in this situation. And I definitely didn't. He never went anywhere."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/04/bc.fbn.nflcomebackplaye.ap/index.html

this just proves how little this award actually means. you know who else came back from a serious shoulder injury? someone who actually got votes for the NFL mvp, Drew Brees. chad pennington had one more touchdown than interception this season and towards the backstretch he was average on his best day. what a joke.

and that quote is 100% wrong. he finished with an 82.6 qb rating. hardly second in the afc.

drwho13 said:
this just proves how little this award actually means. you know who else came back from a serious shoulder injury? someone who actually got votes for the NFL mvp, Drew Brees. chad pennington had one more touchdown than interception this season and towards the backstretch he was average on his best day. what a joke.

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

You miss the point, sweetie. Brees was a question mark. Chad was written off.

You're just po'd 'cause the Nickanator picked the wrong QB, realized it, and high-tailed it for the metropolis of Tuscaloosa! :lol:

chad pennington is slightly better than jay fiedler in his heyday. and there is a huge difference between the reported 95.7 passer rating and his actual 82.6.

I think this also includes the fact that chad did not play last season alot where as brees played a full season.

that's pretty much the only reason he could have won it. but to me the fact that carson palmer and brees were the other two candidates and neither of them won baffles me.

So much for all those people on this board who though Harrington had to be in the running, or might even win. :rofl3:

and don't get me wrong, i actually like chad pennington. he was on fire at the beginning of the season. i just don't think compared to the other two candidates that he deserves this award.

honestly i really don't care about that reward.

Kinzua has it right. Chad was reported to "never play football again....ever..." along with "will never make the roster" along with "no QB has ever come back from two shoulder surgeries"

That is why he won.

Oh and he took a 4-12 team got them to 10-6, started every game, and is in the playoffs.

Oh... and he did that with very little running game (4 in the backfield) and a rookie oline, brand new HC and OC in a new system.

If comes out of this season healthy, he is going to do damage next year.

BZ

Kinzua has it right. Chad was reported to "never play football again....ever..." along with "will never make the roster" along with "no QB has ever come back from two shoulder surgeries"

That is why he won.

Oh and he took a 4-12 team got them to 10-6, started every game, and is in the playoffs.

Oh... and he did that with very little running game (4 in the backfield) and a rookie oline, brand new HC and OC in a new system.

If comes out of this season healthy, he is going to do damage next year.

BZ

If the Jets get themselves a real RB, they will do some damage next year!

Coming from a Fins fan, I would say that I have no problem with Chad getting that award! He deserves it!!! He is a LOT of the reason that team is back in the playoffs! I was just wondering why McNair wasn't even considered. He was injured on and off again last year...played for a crap team...sucked...signed with a new team right before the season started, and now has a realistic shot to win the Super Bowl! How was he not even in the running?

Back
Top Bottom