Per Roto: Drake And Gore | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Per Roto: Drake And Gore

Given that this depth chart is very conservative and favors vets over rookies and incumbents over newcomers, I take these things to be significant:

1. Osweiler has a good chance to beat out Fales.
2. Sterup is ahead of Rico Smith at tackle.
3. Duarte is toast.
4. Petty is toast.
5. They like Ford as a slot guy and he is the 6th WR right now.
6. Drake and Gore will both see a lot of snaps.
7. Baker and Garvin are both ahead of Hull who is toast.
8. Lippett is no better than boundary CB #4 behind Tank and McTyer.
9. Jalen Davis is ahead of Cornell Armstrong.
10. They like Spence.

Hopefully we'll be able to send Drake out by mid-season and sign a steady veteran RB like Arian Foster.

Of course we'll list Gore that way initially. It keeps the veteran fully engaged and it motivates the youngster. Promoting faux battles like this are Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for coaching staffs in the preseason. Then later when someone gets injured, they'll tell them that the staff always expected them to play and are expecting no drop off. It's not true in most cases, but motivationally, it's SOP.

I have no proof of this, but I get the sense that Gase has a cautious approach to Drake compared to fans that think he is going to be one of the rushing leaders in the NFL this season. We keep talking him up as the next big thing, but Gase has brought in a veteran and drafted a big back to complement him, there are several reasons for this but two stand out in my mind (1.) Gase want a duel threat which is more likely, (2.) he doesn't believe that Drake can carry that load as the featured back an entire season. Thoughts.

They got Hull listed as a weakside lb. Good luck with that buddy.

$10 million for a likely 5th de. Whoof. I know it’s a rotation but yikes.

Biggest jumper on that list will be Smythe at te. How the heck does an in line tight end get a # like 46? That numbers changing into the 80’s after he makes the 53.

4.61 40 slots probably the best place for it. Wonder if that Ford kid can run 2 way go routes and has the smarts for it.

Garvin makes it it’s about specials cause they’d play allen or Anthony over him at strong if they had to.

Feels like Anthony’s making this roster but if there was a “surprise” cut I’d probably pick him. Helps that there’s only 3 other lbs who have nfl poa play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no proof of this, but I get the sense that Gase has a cautious approach to Drake compared to fans that think he is going to be one of the rushing leaders in the NFL this season. We keep talking him up as the next big thing, but Gase has brought in a veteran and drafted a big back to complement him, there are several reasons for this but two stand out in my mind (1.) Gase want a duel threat which is more likely, (2.) he doesn't believe that Drake can carry that load as the featured back an entire season. Thoughts.

I agree with you. I haven't been paying much attention to football but I did see a thread here recently with Drake's carries generally estimated at 2-4 times that of Frank Gore. I was shocked. Seemed like a wild adjustment both ways. Drake has never been trusted with high volume carries and Gore has always been trusted with high volume carries. I would be extremely surprised if it suddenly flopped dramatically the opposite, unless Gore is injured.

Frank Gore has that surreal ability to sense the gap before it happens and adjust his body perfectly to take maximum advantage. His new coaches are always amazed by that. Some of Jim Harbaugh's quotes on the matter are humorous. He was in awe of Gore's instincts. If Gase was indeed annoyed at Ajayi for trying to turn everything into a home run, he'll be thrilled to have the back who squeezes every extra foot from all the base inside runs.

Once Gore is simply too slow to get to the line of scrimmage, those instincts obviously don't matter. I didn't sense that was the case in 2017.

Of course we'll list Gore that way initially. It keeps the veteran fully engaged and it motivates the youngster. Promoting faux battles like this are Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for coaching staffs in the preseason. Then later when someone gets injured, they'll tell them that the staff always expected them to play and are expecting no drop off. It's not true in most cases, but motivationally, it's SOP.

While I don't entirely disagree with this SOP concept, I really think that Gase sees a stable of running backs and the 1st, 2nd, 3rd is not a concept that he uses.

Got to have multiple backs, especially with a Drake type back.

I was all for the Gore signing, glad he is here, and I for one am excited to see him play. Hopefully he stays healthy- I think he has enough left in the tank to help this team.

I just don’t think Gore will stay healthy if he’s given too many carries any more.

That’s why I think Ballage will eat into more snaps at running back than expected. Plus I think Ballage fits the versatile mode that Gase wants for his o.

With Jakeem Grant listed as the first team kick returner it doesn’t help Sinorice Perry’s chances of making the 53 again.

I just don’t think Gore will stay healthy if he’s given too many carries any more.

That’s why I think Ballage will eat into more snaps at running back than expected. Plus I think Ballage fits the versatile mode that Gase wants for his o.

With Jakeem Grant listed as the first team kick returner it doesn’t help Sinorice Perry’s chances of making the 53 again.

Gore has had like 260 carries and 1,000 yards in each of the last three years and about 30 receptions - so lets says he gets about half of that? Drake and the others get theirs. Sounds fine to me.

My thought is the rookie back doesn’t get too much this first year.

Last edited:
I do agree that Gore will get every yard the blocking has in it inside the tackles.

Ballage I’m pretty sure as a ball carrier will leave yards on the field.

I'm in a $500 keeper fantasy football league. I have Kareem Hunt as my first keeper in the 8th round. I have Drake and Alex Collins in the 17th. I can only use one. I thought I was 100% keeping Drake but the more I see stuff like this the more I am starting to lean towards Collins

Back
Top Bottom