Per Tony Pauline: Dolphins Targetting Qb Justin Herbert In Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Per Tony Pauline: Dolphins Targetting Qb Justin Herbert In Draft

If true MIA would have to sell the farm to get that pick. Tannehill, draft picks, hell need more than that.

Listen we may bitch quite a bit about the 2019 quarterbacks class, but that doesn't mean there can't be any guy in it worth a damn.

I know I personally bitch about the 2019 class on the assumption that Herbert is not going to come out.

This isn't Drew Lock. I think Herbert is a legit prospect. Is he a home run? Are any of them, ever? You could find people that hated Baker Mayfield. You could find people that hated Sam Darnold. You could find people that hated Josh Rosen and of course you couldn't throw a rock without hitting four people who hated Josh Allen. Carson Wentz had detractors. Legitimate ones. As did Jared Goff.

There was NO SHORTAGE of detractors for Patrick Mahomes, although oddly (funny how this happens) virtually everyone I hear from nowadays evidently adored Mahomes and wanted to give up everything to draft him.

The only fairly recent guy I can think of that absolutely nobody said anything critical of has had a pretty ho-hum, injury burdened career. And the guy who went just behind him in that draft, who had very, very few detractors (I know, because I felt awful lonesome), has had a pretty disastrous career too.

If he comes out in 2019, he’ll be a Giant. Book it.

They already have a #1 receiver and a sensational rookie RB.
If they draft this kid and he's productive then it will be Troy, Irvin and Emmitt all over again.

Listen we may bitch quite a bit about the 2019 quarterbacks class, but that doesn't mean there can't be any guy in it worth a damn.

I know I personally bitch about the 2019 class on the assumption that Herbert is not going to come out.

This isn't Drew Lock. I think Herbert is a legit prospect. Is he a home run? Are any of them, ever? You could find people that hated Baker Mayfield. You could find people that hated Sam Darnold. You could find people that hated Josh Rosen and of course you couldn't throw a rock without hitting four people who hated Josh Allen. Carson Wentz had detractors. Legitimate ones. As did Jared Goff.

There was NO SHORTAGE of detractors for Patrick Mahomes, although oddly (funny how this happens) virtually everyone I hear from nowadays evidently adored Mahomes and wanted to give up everything to draft him.

The only fairly recent guy I can think of that absolutely nobody said anything critical of has had a pretty ho-hum, injury burdened career. And the guy who went just behind him in that draft, who had very, very few detractors (I know, because I felt awful lonesome), has had a pretty disastrous career too.

@ckparrothead

Why in the world wouldn't a guy that's very likely to be taken #1 come out?
Why risk injury or dropping in the draft next year like the USC kid from a few years ago?

I haven't seen him play. Does he have the "it" factor? Can he scramble? What are the knocks?

So I haven’t seen him play either, but did watch a highlight video. I know highlights tell very little, but what I did notice is he seems to be capable of good accuracy, can use his legs, and throw on the run. From the highlights, there was never really a lot of pressure on him and there were clearly windows of time that he will never see in the NFL. Lots of wide open receivers and TE’s. His arm seems about average strength and he has a long release when he needs to put a lot of zip on the ball.

I have no idea if the accuracy is typical of him or not, but he clearly has the benefit of a great scheme and good talent around him. Maybe someone else can chime in with better information on his performance from real full length games.

I like him, still think it's more likely than not though that he stays in school. If he does declare, we've got little to no chance to get into a position to draft him. I hope they have a plan B. As I said in the draft forum, I've been on the Will Grier train most of the season, he's been hugely impressive but CK has done some fantastic analysis into his arm strength and coupled with his character concerns, I'm inclined to get off the train for now. He may have value later in the draft but he's likely to go in the first couple of rounds based on his production.

The person, I'm fully on the train with now is Gardner Minshew, been watching a lot of him and I'm sold, there are arm strength concerns too with him but he's got something that I feel is much more difficult to compensate for if you don't have it, football smarts. He's extremely clean and just look at what's going on at Wash State to see that he's certainly got the IT factor.

Drew Lock is another I wouldn't be overly upset if we took, he's what you look for in a QB from a physicality perspective, has had an astonishing career at Missouri in terms of stats, currently ranked 3rd in career TDs and 4th in career yards (with more games to come) in SEC history, ahead of Peyton Manning. There are plenty of red flags though and Slimm, absolutely hates him :) He'll get over drafted for sure, I'm not sure yet how I would feel if we were the ones over drafting, trusting Slimm's judgement (which is nearly always the right thing to do) then I should feel bad, there will be a lot of value in him though if he starts to slide.

One thing I want to see in the off season, is some excitement , a new QB drafted in the first will bring that whoever it is. In the second and third rounds there will be some tingles but no expectations, below that it's pointless in my view unless they have genuine talent, that's just been overlooked.

How do you think Herbert would have stacked up against the 2018 class? How would you rank him and how would the NFL probably rank him?

@ckparrothead

Why risk injury or dropping in the draft next year like the USC kid from a few years ago?

It's a good question. It's probably one that you're going to want to ask Justin Herbert in January rather than November. He needs to have the Advisory grade in hand and see for himself where he'll likely go, interview the agents, etc. Then he can decide if it's really worth it to play a year with his younger brother.

How do you think Herbert would have stacked up against the 2018 class? How would you rank him and how would the NFL probably rank him?

Too early to say all that. This is a process. We know what they're like on the field but there's more to it than that.

@ckparrothead

Parrothead’s opinion I respect more than any on this board.

But let me attempt to answer your question for you:

“Stupidity”.
That is the only legit reason.

This is not Tiger Woods and golf, it’s football. And any player that can declare and go in the top 5, should do so. Any human that has the chance to secure their future should do so. Especially when there are SO MANY things that could take you completely out of the game forever.

Going back to an unpaid dangerous game for another year, is flat out dumb. Take the money, secure the financial future of you and your family, and the rest is up to chance

Back
Top Bottom