Per Tony Pauline: Dolphins Targetting Qb Justin Herbert In Draft | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Per Tony Pauline: Dolphins Targetting Qb Justin Herbert In Draft

He will be gone time we pick.. I am watching Duke, West Virgini and Missouri QB as well

Why does the writer think he was there to scout Herbert and not offensive lineman Brockthornton or defensive end Jelks? And on Utah RB Moss, OT Barton and DE Anae

Last edited:
2 questions
How many top 5 picks are projected as 'franchise' QB?
How many are?
Trading up is FAR too expensive

1) WAY too early to tell. But it’s not my job on the line. My point is if the ORGANIZATION loves a QB they have to get him. As of now, I’m not smitten by any QB BUT Matt Miller reports on his Podcast today that Haskins QB coach texted him and told him Haskins will enter the draft. I don’t , as anyone else, have anyway of knowing any of these QB’s football smarts. If Haskins and Herbert both interview well in that regard I’m in.
2) I think we’ll lose out unless Fales starts at Indy and that would probably have us picking around 7 or 8.

Baker's arm talent is crazy he threw a skinny post that made me smh,that ball exploded after his 5 step. Deep comebacks and Deep outs are in play in 12 and 13 personnel, none of that new wave spread u out to throw to rb's stuff.

I became a Mayfield fan after the Ohio State game and I’m a Ohio State fan. I record every Browns game that conflicts with the Dolphins games. The Browns are my second favorite team. Baker, like Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes play QB like a point gaurd and I love watching all three.

1) WAY too early to tell. But it’s not my job on the line. My point is if the ORGANIZATION loves a QB they have to get him. As of now, I’m not smitten by any QB BUT Matt Miller reports on his Podcast today that Haskins QB coach texted him and told him Haskins will enter the draft. I don’t , as anyone else, have anyway of knowing any of these QB’s football smarts. If Haskins and Herbert both interview well in that regard I’m in.

I said in another thread that of Haskins and Herbert I thought Herbert was ready and should enter the draft but Haskins needed another year to learn his craft more however I expected the opposite to happen and that Haskins would enter and Herbert stay. You can't really argue though with Haskins decision, he's hot atm and should declare to cash in, I just think with his limited body of work he needs another year. I would be intrigued though if we picked him, there is a lot of talent there, but he would absolutely need to sit year 1, like Mahomes, the success of Mahomes though will encourage other teams to revert back to that model instead of always going down the must always start straight away route. He could well also be out of our range though, especially if Herbert stays in school.

Why does the writer think he was there to scout Herbert and not offensive lineman Brockthornton or defensive end Jelks? And on Utah RB Moss, OT Barton and DE Anae
Great to see you Adam !!!!!

oh and I'd be happy with Greer.. he's got some of that intangible Baker Mayfield vibe!

I said in another thread that of Haskins and Herbert I thought Herbert was ready and should enter the draft but Haskins needed another year to learn his craft more however I expected the opposite to happen and that Haskins would enter and Herbert stay. You can't really argue though with Haskins decision, he's hot atm and should declare to cash in, I just think with his limited body of work he needs another year. I would be intrigued though if we picked him, there is a lot of talent there, but he would absolutely need to sit year 1, like Mahomes, the success of Mahomes though will encourage other teams to revert back to that model instead of always going down the must always start straight away route. He could well also be out of our range though, especially if Herbert stays in school.

My theory is Haskins was told he will split time with Martel next season and that along with the weak class swayed his decision. The coaches at OSU absolutely love Martel and they will do whatever possible to keep him from transferring.

My theory is Haskins was told he will split time with Martel next season and that along with the weak class swayed his decision. The coaches at OSU absolutely love Martel and they will do whatever possible to keep him from transferring.

I have serious problems with Urban Meyer QBs and the way he treats them/coaches them up.

I dont think I will ever have faith in a guy coming out of his system.

You weren't totally alone on Robert Griffin. I wrote a couple of long very negative appraisals of him prior to the draft, mostly focused on his personality. I doubt any prospect would be as poorly evaluated entering the draft in terms of personality, if I lived to 300. Robert Griffin was always a me-first whiner, from the Connecticut game his freshman year to bowl game against Illinois his third season to Oklahoma State his final year. I will never understand how the NFL or the draft process ignored it. WVDolphan used to call him Bob Griffin and cite my posts as the only one who nailed the personality problem ahead of time. Jason Whitlock waited until NFL season 2 or 3 to start calling him RG-Me.

Personality was a BIG part of my thesis against Robert Griffin. I did many long posts about this back then. I agree with you he was absolutely a me-first guy. Being in love with your own cult of personality isn't necessarily a bad thing but he was in love with it to such a degree that he clearly put some things ahead of football and ahead of his team, that the NFL wasn't going to love.

I believe my exact prediction for him was that you're going to really see that stuff manifest the first time he goes through a serious injury, which he is virtually guaranteed to suffer because he is piss poor at managing a collapsing pocket and even poorer at protecting his body from bad hits and awkward positions. Of course the example I used back then was concussion, and I thought he might just up and leave the NFL after making his money. Instead it ended up being the knee and the way he didn't cooperate with the medical professionals, the coaches, etc...in the aftermath.

Patrick Mahomes was another matter. Those pinball Big 12 offenses are so sickening and insulting to watch I seldom do it. I don't even remember what I thought or wrote about Mahomes but I had lots of conerns and it certainly couldn't be anything close to what he has turned out to be. I did see high praise from djphinfan, who I always respect.

Patrick Mahomes had been my guy for years. Just too damned talented. Too damned accurate. Too damned good at dealing with bodies all around him. And then I researched the character and found he was too damned good of an athletic profile. I never really bought that you're not going to ever see anyone come out of an Air Raid and succeed in the NFL. I get that it's a negative, but people often try to act like it's a deal breaker. The only thing that's a deal breaker is not being very talented.

I will say, Herbert has talent.

Haskins has talent.

If both declare, which one would you want?

I'm leaning toward Justin Herbert.

I like Dwayne Haskins. He reads the defense and throws to a spot with great anticipation. His throwing is very CONSISTENT, which is a key pro trait. I think he's often over-criticized for his handling of pressure, and there's a lot of meat left on the bone there because he does have some natural play-making ability/talent that could be cultivated with more time. But his arm talent is only on the cusp of what is acceptable in the NFL and that has me concerned. Also concerning is whatever process/mindset by which he ultimately decides he's got to leave Ohio State early, when he so clearly needs to stick around another year.

So, how are we getting a top 3 pick? If not higher?

Dude would be the clear cut #1 QB if he does declare. Maybe if San Fran falls to #1, they would take Bosa over him or get a kings ransom to trade back
Yeah, that's the problem. Gruden has received so much criticism for trading Mack. I don't think the Raiders could pass on Bosa with virtually no pass rush. SF or the NYG are next in line. I could see the 49ers trading the pick, but the Giants would jump on Herbert.

I’d rather take DE,CB, or OL in rounds 1-3. Then if he is there maybe take the kid out of Washington State.

Back
Top Bottom