Perfect Position to trade down and get a 1st in 2007 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Perfect Position to trade down and get a 1st in 2007

Reaction score
I think we are in perfect position to trade our 1st for somebody's 2nd and a 1st(2007)

Also I believe that we can trade Ricky for a conditonal 2007 pick(like a 3rd that can become a 2nd{or 1st}with preformance factors)-like our original ricky deal-

so in '06 we have 2,2,3,4,7,7,7
and '07 we have 1,1,2,2,3,4,5,6,7(maybe enough ammo for Quinn without wrecking our draft)

tastes like chi said:
I think we are in perfect position to trade our 1st for somebody's 2nd and a 1st(2007)

Also I believe that we can trade Ricky for a conditonal 2007 pick(like a 3rd that can become a 2nd{or 1st}with preformance factors)-like our original ricky deal-

so in '06 we have 2,2,3,4,7,7,7
and '07 we have 1,1,2,2,3,4,5,6,7(maybe enough ammo for Quinn without wrecking our draft)

Who do you think would want to make that deal with us?

I would love to make this deal with anyone picking in 2nd round (lower half). We could still get a great player. Imagine making this trade and that team tanking next year. We could have a top 5 pick plus our #32(SB Champion).

Caps said:
Who do you think would want to make that deal with us?

If somebody falls in the draft and a team wants them then they will trade up.
Washington last year, Baltimore(Boller), Buffalo(loseman) all traded future 1sts to move up into the 15-25 range. I don't know who would want to trade up right now, but somebody will on draft day. The question is will they pay the picks

tastes like chi said:
Here is the draft value chart(everybody will be talking about it until draft day so keep it handy)
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/free/tradevaluechart.htm

I believe that a 1st round pick in a future draft is worth a 2nd in the current year.( I couldn't comfirm any where)

If some bonehead GM is still convinced that a 2nd this year is worth a 1st next year I'm all for giving up our 2nd this year for their first next year. Heck and if he thinks our 3rd this year is worth their 2nd next year, I'd do that too.

I see the sweep spot being somewhere around the 27-29 pick. Around there I can see Bing, Landry, and maybe one of the LBs slipping. In the 2nd I'd like Whitworth possibly to play RT for us and switch Carey to LT. We'd probably get a late 2nd round pick to trade down from there maybe from the Donkeys. With that pick we can grab possibly a defensive back that's slipped a little bit. In the third Jonathan Orr teamed with Welker/Gibson will give us a young WR backup core. In the 4th maybe pick up Brodie Croyle if he's still there.

Jaj said:
I see the sweep spot being somewhere around the 27-29 pick. Around there I can see Bing, Landry, and maybe one of the LBs slipping. In the 2nd I'd like Whitworth possibly to play RT for us and switch Carey to LT. We'd probably get a late 2nd round pick to trade down from there maybe from the Donkeys. With that pick we can grab possibly a defensive back that's slipped a little bit. In the third Jonathan Orr teamed with Welker/Gibson will give us a young WR backup core. In the 4th maybe pick up Brodie Croyle if he's still there.

You've probably heard me say it already but when you say you see Whitworth being a possibility, all I say is that keep in mind that he's only a possibility if that's the guy that draws Houck's eye. Saban will not show favoritism toward an offensive lineman, he goes straight up with what Houck tells him to go with. Houck liked Michael Roos and Anthony Alabi, they had no connection to Saban, and those were the guys we would have drafted or did draft. Remember how everyone had Ben Wilkerson going to us in the 3rd last year? Saban didn't even make a play for the dude as an undrafted free agent.

Anyone on defense from LSU would be an immediate candidate for the Phins, but honestly I don't see any LSU lineman being any more likely than, say, a University of Washington lineman to become a Fin.

Otherwise though, I like your tastes...except when it comes to Landry vs. Bing, Landry would be worth so much more to us that he's worth fighting for that little extra draft position to make sure we get him and not Bing...if for no other reason than that Landry would be a day 1 starter for us and one that is not only immediately effective, but is smart enough, knows the D well enough, and is enough of a leader to become the secondary's LEADER and signal caller in his rookie year...think how most teams give a rookie a contract knowing he's probably just collecting a paycheck and making a little bit of an impact his first year, and then think of the possibility of us picking up a young stud like Landry on a rookie contract with basically the knowledge and experience of a veteran free agent.

Ya I remember you saying that before however I feel that Whitworth is one of the better run-blocking RTs in the draft. He just makes sense. Obviously I wouldn't expect him to be picked over McNeil in the first.

ckparrothead said:
If some bonehead GM is still convinced that a 2nd this year is worth a 1st next year I'm all for giving up our 2nd this year for their first next year. Heck and if he thinks our 3rd this year is worth their 2nd next year, I'd do that too.

Bonehead Gm = MAtt Millen:dolphins:

I don't see any trade like that happening...also, why move Carey to LT when he's doing fine at RT?I'd just rather draft a LT and that way you only make one move along the o-line instead of 2.If Hadnot stays at center next year then we'll need a new starter at guard cos Ephrain(sp?)really sucks so that's one move and if you move Carey to LT then you'd need to make 3 moves and that's not good for an o-line.

Ozzy rules!!
:rockon: :guitar:

Yeah I would be all for doing that trade. There will be plenty of good value at the beginning of the 2nd round. There should be some very good O-linemen as one of them will drop; Scott, McNeil, Jean-Gilles (all we need is one to drop) and I'm sure a good LB will be available considering this years depth. Also, as the juniors have been declaring this looks like it could turn into a pretty deep class at CB. I would be ecstatic if we did a trade like this and then Cromartie were to drop to us in the beginning of the 2nd.

I don't think somebody at the very top of the 2nd would trade all that to move up, but a team like Washington or Atlanta(if Bethard is still consulting) might do it. It also depends on who falls and who likes them(and if we don't like them)

I agree actually... The Cowboys did it two years ago with the Bills and pretty much worked out as JP Losman for Julius Jones and Marcus Spears. It's hit and miss... I think a lot depends on the depth on the draft, would have been good last year baring in mind that the second round was loaded with talent.

Back
Top Bottom