Perfecting the onside kick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Perfecting the onside kick

Blake the great

Active Roster
Reaction score
It blows my mind that teams and kickers are not practicing or using just kicking the ball straight up in the air with enough hang time for the kicking team to get down field to have a chance at like a jump ball. just chip it straight up with hang time so your boys have a chance at the ball. The ball doesn't have to touch the ground first so just chip shot it up high and give your team a real shot at a jump ball. Anyways, it just annoys me that we dont see teams trying this. Hopefully the Dolphins will be ahead of the curve on this one and has our kicker practicing the chip onside kick.

If the ball doesn't hit the ground then the receiving team can just signal for fair catch.

Blake- I used to think the same thing- til i learned the rule. A lot of kickers were teying to perfect the ground touch jump ball. Need to do it even more now w the. new kickoff rule.

Talk about lack of knoelwdge by altanta players...
Not one attempted to jump on ball before 10 yards

I was talking to acoach about this yesterday and he said some coaches preach that the receiving team not try to touch the ball before the 10 yards because it's not live till then unless you try to recover it and botch it. I would prefer to be aggressive and try to recover it before the 10 yards, but the logic on the otherside is if the ball fails to go the 10 yards than there's no risk of touching it an creating a scramble for the loose ball.

Talk about lack of knoelwdge by altanta players...
Not one attempted to jump on ball before 10 yards
I've been on Kickoff and coached on STs. The way those Falcons players (3 of them) basically went into clueless territory was unreal. I understood why they did because that kick was alien to them. Better coaching would have avoided them a loss. Simple.

I've been on Kickoff and coached on STs. The way those Falcons players (3 of them) basically went into clueless territory was unreal. I understood why they did because that kick was alien to them. Better coaching would have avoided them a loss. Simple.
Can coaches really coach everything thou. That's as basic as it comes to me. These guys are professionals!

Back
Top Bottom