Perry has yet to receive waiver to play in NFL/Update: Approved! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Perry has yet to receive waiver to play in NFL/Update: Approved!

And having an alum featured as a UN manager isn't? I get sports have more glamour than employment at a world renowned organization, but both can aid recruitment.

But enough of that. I expect Perry to get the waiver. Any hx on how long that takes?
Not really.

No one in the target recruitment demographic of the military will know who a UN manager is. They will likely know who athletes are though.

I mean, I'm not saying sports are more important than a job at the UN or CDC, but in terms of marketing, they absolutely are.

In my opinion, approving this would be good for the military.
1. Stronger players will consider the military football programs.
2. Each military player becomes, to a degree, a recruiting tool.
3. It just seem the correct thing to do.

This isnt why people go to the academies.

"It just seem the correct thing to do". Many of us remember David Robinson fulfilling his duties before he was able to play for San Antonio. Again, kids who goto these military academies do so for future officer service, not professional sports.

Not really.

No one in the target recruitment demographic of the military will know who a UN manager is. They will likely know who athletes are though.

I mean, I'm not saying sports are more important than a job at the UN or CDC, but in terms of marketing, they absolutely are.

I'm not certain that's true. A lot of recruitment targets care little about sports and many want 'to serve,' thus, considering a military academy

I'm not certain that's true. A lot of recruitment targets care little about sports and many want 'to serve,' thus, considering a military academy
WADR, I'm not sure where this is coming from.

The military does this with athletes. They do it for a reason. That reason is the reason I'm saying. If athelets didn't impact their recruiting, they wouldn't be doing it.

The military does this with athletes. They do it for a reason. That reason is the reason I'm saying. If athelets didn't impact their recruiting, they wouldn't be doing it.

we agree. Waiving a professional athlete has value in recruiting. That's proven true. All I'm saying is not all potential recruits are excited about professional sports and, for those, seeing a possible waiver for high profile jobs, sans sports, could also be a recruiting tool.

doesn't matter. Perry is the focus. The sooner he gets to Miami, the happier I am. I'm hoping someone has an educated guess when that will happen.

It isnt done in mass numbers. The military is more likely to have advertisements at COD or Madden tourneys than using athletes for recruitment. Especially since one is for enlistment and the other for officer school (academies).

The navy already changed this rule years ago. He will be fine to play. Not sure what the hold up is.

It’s the same reason famous people can do public service announcements instead of community service for small crimes, they’re an asset. Every professional player that is in the military is a recruitment/PR asset.
I have never seen a so called famous person that did a public service announcement instead of serving time who shouldn’t have been in jail instead. As the saying goes, “ if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime. The problem is too many people just accept that famous people and athletes should be treated differently than the rest of us.
After what we have been going through the last few months, I think essential workers are much more of an asset in our society than any athlete or famous person.

Last edited:

"It just seem the correct thing to do". Many of us remember David Robinson fulfilling his duties before he was able to play for San Antonio. Again, kids who goto these military academies do so for future officer service, not professional sports.

But Robinson only had to serve two years active duty instead of the normal five.

I have never seen a so called famous person that did a public service announcement instead of serving time who shouldn’t have been in jail instead. As the saying goes, “ if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime. The problem is too many people just accept that famous people and athletes should be treated differently than the rest of us.
After what we have been going through the last few months, I think essential workers are much more of an asset in our society than any athlete or famous person.

I never said they did the bold.

Laughable, untrue statement.

You have no idea why an individual chooses an academy, let alone everybody.

Not only that, circumstances change. Perhaps the athlete developed and excelled more than they expected while there? Perhaps they liked the idea of what the academy had to offer as a fall back option should they not achieve their pipe dream of a pro career?

You may have your own idea of why you would or wouldn’t attend an academy, but speaking emphatically for how others view the option is ridiculous.

Serious question, do you think Pat Tillman is seen as an asset or a negative?
Pat Tilman, what I have read do not know him, is an american hero.
They are a one in a million. They can be a recruitment asset for military schools as sports, soldiers, humans.

But Robinson only had to serve two years active duty instead of the normal five.

He still served active duty. Many here for some unknown reasons think even that is too much.

You do not get into those academies for professional sports.

Back
Top Bottom