Perry has yet to receive waiver to play in NFL/Update: Approved! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Perry has yet to receive waiver to play in NFL/Update: Approved!

Laughable, untrue statement.

You have no idea why an individual chooses an academy, let alone everybody.

Not only that, circumstances change. Perhaps the athlete developed and excelled more than they expected while there? Perhaps they liked the idea of what the academy had to offer as a fall back option should they not achieve their pipe dream of a pro career?

You may have your own idea of why you would or wouldn’t attend an academy, but speaking emphatically for how others view the option is ridiculous.

Military academies are notoriously difficult to get into. They are NOT your local recruitment office.

Fall back option?

I understand that you really have a slanted view of what those academies are and what you think they should be.

And without a nomination, your chances are ZERO of being accepted. Meaning, people have to work years to just get a chance, understanding the back end of the contract and service required after graduation. Those who grow out of it, leave. But West Point and Annapolis are notoriously difficult institutions to join.

And I have zero issues with those who commit and follow through at a young age to meet the criteria needed to be accepted. Kudos to those young people.

Given that the Naval academy is considered the third hardest school to get into, it is a given you aren't going there simply to play football.

Of course Harvard is considered the hardest to get into and Fitz does play football.

Laughable, untrue statement.

You have no idea why an individual chooses an academy, let alone everybody.

Not only that, circumstances change. Perhaps the athlete developed and excelled more than they expected while there? Perhaps they liked the idea of what the academy had to offer as a fall back option should they not achieve their pipe dream of a pro career?

You may have your own idea of why you would or wouldn’t attend an academy, but speaking emphatically for how others view the option is ridiculous.

Why are some people combative in every single thread they go in to.

PSA: if someone doesn't agree with you it doesn't require immediate defensive attacks.....unless you're 14.
Can't dispute that people change, but maybe research what it takes to get into these academies. It might give you an understanding into their intent.

Why are some people combative in every single thread they go in to.

PSA: if someone doesn't agree with you it doesn't require immediate defensive attacks.....unless you're 14.
Can't dispute that people change, but maybe research what it takes to get into these academies. It might give you an understanding into their intent.

So now your being combative. Hypocrite.

Not only that, it was I that didn’t agree with him. Not the other way around. And I clearly explained why.

PSA to you: when someone emphatically states opinion as fact and/or provides incorrect info, they open themselves up to correction and criticism.

If they can be bold, so can those responding to them. No need for hurt feelings ... like your 14. If you can’t handle the heat .... you know the rest.

Not only that, it was I that didn’t agree with him. Not the other way around. And I clearly explained why.

PSA to you: when someone emphatically states opinion as fact and/or provides incorrect info, they open themselves up to correction and criticism.

If they can be bold, so can those responding to them. No need for hurt feelings ... like your 14. If you can’t handle the heat .... you know the rest.

OK thanks.

Military academies are notoriously difficult to get into. They are NOT your local recruitment office.

Fall back option?

I understand that you really have a slanted view of what those academies are and what you think they should be.

And without a nomination, your chances are ZERO of being accepted. Meaning, people have to work years to just get a chance, understanding the back end of the contract and service required after graduation. Those who grow out of it, leave. But West Point and Annapolis are notoriously difficult institutions to join.

And I have zero issues with those who commit and follow through at a young age to meet the criteria needed to be accepted. Kudos to those young people.

Yes , this. Military academies aren't Universities. My father was a West Point grad and he had to be nominated by multiple people, including the Governor, to attend. You go to these academies because you want to serve your country, not play sports. Its actually laughable to think otherwise...

I don't think you have a good understanding of military academies like AT ALL. I guess since what we say "opens us up to criticism", that statement is fair game.

I don't think you have a good understanding of military academies like AT ALL. I guess since what we say "opens us up to criticism", that statement is fair game.

And you'd be wrong. Not only that, I have a very clear understanding regarding the motivations of many young student-athletes that are seeking any path possible in order to further their playing career.

I have several family members that attended academies. One attended The Citadel and two others attended the Air Force Academy. And one did so for the exact reason I outlined.
Also coached a kid that opted for the Air Force Academy (he was under-recruited), but after a year was able to leave then attend and play ball at an FCS level program.
My son played with a teammate that ended up at the Naval Academy. He graduated and played ball all 4 years there. But it was option B because he wasn't recruited to a big time college football program. And $$$ was an issue.

While I didn't coach him, I know that Dano Graves who was the 2010 MaxPreps National HS Player of the Year opted to play for the Air Force Academy because he wasn't receiving much D1 FBS interest. He also left the academy after a year or so once he realized it wasn't for him to then attend Cal Poly.

So don't tell me what I know. It's clear you and the other dude lack understanding that every case is different. Believing everyone fits into one category is, well, ridiculously ignorant.
There are plenty of aspiring athletes that end up at military academies because they weren't able to land an athletic scholarship at a power 5 or possibly any FBS programs outside of an academy. It actually happens quite a bit.
Most of them aren't good enough to forge a pro career afterward, which is why they were under-recruited in the first place.

Furthermore, considering that Malcolm Perry apparently wants to play pro football prior to completing his service should tell you where his priority lies.
Not only that, the fact that demand existed for the guidelines to be changed, and now have been changed, further demonstrates how wrong both of you are.

Game, set, match.

Thank you for playing!

Last edited:
And you'd be wrong. Not only that, I have a very clear understanding regarding the motivations of many young student-athletes that are seeking any path possible in order to further their playing career.

I have several family members that attended academies. One attended The Citadel and two others attended the Air Force Academy. And one did so for the exact reason I outlined.
Also coached a kid that opted for the Air Force Academy (he was under-recruited), but after a year was able to leave then attend and play ball at an FCS level program.
My son played with a teammate that ended up at the Naval Academy. He graduated and played ball all 4 years there. But it was option B because he wasn't recruited to a big time college football program. And $$$ was an issue.

While I didn't coach him, I know that Dano Graves who was the 2010 MaxPreps National HS Player of the Year opted to play for the Air Force Academy because he wasn't receiving much D1 FBS interest. He also left the academy after a year or so once he realized it wasn't for him to then attend Cal Poly.

So don't tell me what I know. It's clear you and the other dude lack understanding that every case is different. Believing everyone fits into one category is, well, ridiculously ignorant.
There are plenty of aspiring athletes that end up at military academies because they weren't able to land an athletic scholarship at a power 5 or possibly any FBS programs outside of an academy. It actually happens quite a bit.
Most of them aren't good enough to forge a pro career afterward, which is why they were under-recruited in the first place.

Furthermore, considering that Malcolm Perry apparently wants to play pro football prior to completing his service should tell you where his priority lies.
Not only that, the fact that demand existed for the guidelines to be changed, and now have been changed, further demonstrates how wrong both of you are.

Game, set, match.

Thank you for playing!

Yeah man, you're full of it. It's never an "option B". I dont think you have any idea how much hard work and dedication it takes to get a government official to reccomend you to an academy. You're talking like someone can just apply and get accepted or get an athletic scholarship, which is wildly false. I'm actually certain from your response that you're completely full of it.

"Game, set, match"? Ok then....

Yeah man, you're full of it. It's never an "option B". I dont think you have any idea how much hard work and dedication it takes to get a government official to reccomend you to an academy. You're talking like someone can just apply and get accepted or get an athletic scholarship, which is wildly false. I'm actually certain from your response that you're completely full of it.

"Game, set, match"? Ok then....

I'm full of it? Sorry, I know the kid. You don't. I'm aware of what his intentions were. The Naval academy was not his top preference. For you to suggest you know differently is the most ridiculous thing I've read on this board. Ever. That's saying a lot.

I hate to break this to you, but the "liar, liar pants on fire" argument isn't going to dig you out of the hole you've dug.

I've coached football for decades. Have you? I've seen players that I've coached and coached against move on to college and beyond. I have insight to what many of these players and their families were thinking. I've spoken to recruiters. I know what their options were. Yet you have the audacity to come back at me with the nonsense above? Unbelievable.

If that isn't enough, I cited several examples, including one name, of players that opted for a military/service academy because it was what they considered at the time to be the best of the limited options available to them in order to further their playing career at the D1 FBS level. Several of them didn't like the fit and moved on to FCS schools.

But that's not good enough for you. Instead, you want to pontificate about how hard you believe it is to gain admission -- which was never the topic of this conversation. You're deflecting.

To be clear, I never stated that service academies offer football/athletic scholarships. I'm fully aware that they do not. But they do have football programs. And since Army, Navy, AF all compete at the D1 FBS level (Citadel is a senior military college and is FCS), they often become options for athletes that aren't receiving interest from many FBS programs and are resistant to playing at the FCS or D2 (or lower) level.

BTW, I got news for you. It's not that hard to get in as an accomplished athlete that can find a coherent sentence with 2 hands and a flashlight. It's been widely publicized in recent years how the academies (specifically Army) have relaxed their admission standards in an effort to become more competitive in sports. Athletes get considerations in the nomination and admission process. The New York Times even authored an article about it. But I digress.

I've not only been involved in the process as a coach, I religiously follow college recruiting. I'm very aware and certain about the things I've witnessed over the decades, and what is still going on today.

To your point, it's painfully clear you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. Nor did the other guy, which is what prompted this entire spin off.

So I'm done with you. I already destroyed your less than paper thin belief on this topic.

Last edited:
he was in town the other day playing football with alot of the talent around here. looked good. looks a little more stocky than i remember. He will def be a rb this year, with the ability to line up at slot. kid just needs an oppurtunity

Back
Top Bottom