Pete Prisco right on something... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pete Prisco right on something...

djfresh47

R.I.P. djfresh47
Reaction score
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8524129

"There have been exceptions, but those teams (see the 2002 Baltimore Ravens) had to play extraordinary defense.

The 2004 playoffs were proof of the value of having a good quarterback. The final eight teams included a who's-who of quarterbacks, New England's Tom Brady, Indianapolis' Peyton Manning, Atlanta's Michael Vick and Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb among them.

If you have issues at quarterback, postseason play is almost always a fantasy."

Alot of fans on this site have disagreed with Prisco in the past, but this one does not really talk about Feeley. I think it is relevant though because if everyone just wants Aj to "not lose" a game, than you're gonna see the team won't go far, or even make the playoffs. This is not a bashing Aj thing at all, I will just say that if the Phins want to be an elite team than Aj is gonna have to become a very good Qb, which will be obvious to most, but to others who believe he can just be there to manage the game they're mistaken.

fiedler was a prime example of a QB that was plugged into the game to manage it and not lose it. im sure most of us expect AJ to be better than Jay and play a much different role

I really don't know what to expect out of the kid to be honest. Wish I could keep smiling with all the other good that is happening this offseason. I just looked at our schedule this upcoming season, let me tell you, we pissed in somebody's wheaties. I'll continue to support A.J. all the way. But I'm not gonna sit here and tell you I'm gonna cry if Gus starts. I don't care. Fiedler's gone. I can't ask for too much more. :ears:

Mentioning Michael Vick in the same sentence as Manning and Brady makes me want to lose my lunch. That aside...

I'm still going to believe that the system can make AJ a good QB. Remember Fiedler's first two years with Chan Gailey? He wasn't Joe Montana, but he was getting the job done. He was making plays. If Fiedler could look good in even just one system, I believe that AJ, a guy who showed a lot of guts last year in a horrible system with no running game and no line, can look good in Linehan's system.

What was so exceptional about the 2002 Ravens? That was the Buccs year. Same point, I guess. Baltimore's Super Bowl triumph was 2000.

prickso is right on this one. imo we'll never see the final four until we get a real qb. w/o a franchise qb, it will be more of the same: they'll tease us with 9-10 wins, then get beat by a team with a real qb in the playoffs. same shiznit, different year.

djfresh47 said:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8524129

"There have been exceptions, but those teams (see the 2002 Baltimore Ravens) had to play extraordinary defense.

The 2004 playoffs were proof of the value of having a good quarterback. The final eight teams included a who's-who of quarterbacks, New England's Tom Brady, Indianapolis' Peyton Manning, Atlanta's Michael Vick and Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb among them.

If you have issues at quarterback, postseason play is almost always a fantasy."

Alot of fans on this site have disagreed with Prisco in the past, but this one does not really talk about Feeley. I think it is relevant though because if everyone just wants Aj to "not lose" a game, than you're gonna see the team won't go far, or even make the playoffs. This is not a bashing Aj thing at all, I will just say that if the Phins want to be an elite team than Aj is gonna have to become a very good Qb, which will be obvious to most, but to others who believe he can just be there to manage the game they're mistaken.

there has been alot other teams that have gone far into the playoffs and went to the superbowl with mediocre qbs. The thing with those teams is that they had a surrounding cast to makeup for the lack of qb talent...

Phishstix said:
prickso is right on this one. imo we'll never see the final four until we get a real qb. w/o a franchise qb, it will be more of the same: they'll tease us with 9-10 wins, then get beat by a team with a real qb in the playoffs. same shiznit, different year.

your right. either AJ steps up this year or we go shopping next year.

AlanSaysYo said:
Mentioning Michael Vick in the same sentence as Manning and Brady makes me want to lose my lunch. That aside...

why? Ron is overrated as a QB but there's no doubt that without him they would never have gotten near the AFC championship, and that's what matters

What is with this AJ criticizism? The fins lost because the o-line stink, I don't rember feeley getting handoffs, or letting a runaway train come from around left end or right.
There were many factors that caused the dolphins demise, even Dan the Man would have had a hard time even standing up behind that o-line, lay the blame on who ever but let's be real clear about why the dolphins lost.

AJ has talent, he just need to be able to stand up behind an o-line to display it.

I don't think that you or prisco at looking at the whole team, don't you'all realize that the fins defense was ranked at #6 with a bad team, and with all of those offensive weapons, plus anything you get out of ricky will be a added dimension to this team.

The Chargers went into last year with a "bust" at QB in Drew Brees, and a rookie. They made the playoffs just fine, if I recall.

The point is that we have an unknown with AJ... not that we have a mediocre QB. It's very possible that he's a mediocre QB... but there is an equal likelyhood that he will excel with a proper offensive scheme.

It should be a great season... one in which we find out quite a bit about how the next few years will play out.

Our qb played 1/2 of a season, behind a horrendous oline, with no runningback as relief.Not much of an offensive gameplan there either. Not much to go on.This year could be much different.

Back
Top Bottom