Peter King on Dan patrick show.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Peter King on Dan patrick show....

His issues with Randy had to do with attitude. I don't think anyone is that great at picking talent. Instead people have a good year here and there because of statistical variance. The hit/miss ratio's appear to remain fairly steady for each round when looking at 3-5 year tranches. It would be interesting to look at the hit/miss ratio for each round and then compare that to the Draft value chart to determine whether it is generally a good idea to trade down or up. It would require alot of time to do the research. Maybe someday when I can afford it I'll hire a lacky to put together all that data; I can do the statistics, just need someone to compile the list with the number of hits/misses (using a scale of success, i.e. # starts, pro bowls etc.) from each round of the past 15 years.

feelthepain said:
No Way In He** We Take A Qb.......aint, Gonna, Happen!!!!!

Why wouldn't he draft a Qb. to me it makes sense. Because none of the Qb's on the roster do not impress anyone. And this is a perfect opportunity to draft a qb we have a low pick. With all the backs that are in the draft this makes even more sense. because there is no clear cut back to pick. And every coach wants a Qb that he can call his own.

So a 10-15 million singing bonus is OK for a green QB that won't play for 1-2 years, but it's no OK for a RB who will play immediately because there are cheaper RBs who won't be as good later in the draft?

bigmiamifan said:
So a 10-15 million singing bonus is OK for a green QB that won't play for 1-2 years, but it's no OK for a RB who will play immediately because there are cheaper RBs who won't be as good later in the draft?

:yeahthat: Nicely put....exactly what I think...why pay that much for a QB that will hold a clipboard rather than pay a RB who will play immediatly and impact the team.

Running backs are easy to find. Would you trade for Carson Palmer?

TeeMoney said:
Running backs are easy to find. Would you trade for Carson Palmer?

Of course I would...but if Running Backs are so easy to find, how come we have had so few running backs on our team in the teams history who were franchise backs. You make it seem like we could sign some undrafted rookie, plug him in the starting lineup, and he would be a franchise back.

Because we had a system that was designed around Marino and his incredible abilities.

finz99 said:
Of course I would...but if Running Backs are so easy to find, how come we have had so few running backs on our team in the teams history who were franchise backs. You make it seem like we could sign some undrafted rookie, plug him in the starting lineup, and he would be a franchise back.

No but we CAN get a Pro Bowl RB for a 2nd round pick, maybe a 3rd. So why draft one at #2. Is Ronnie Brown that much better than Shaun Alexander or Edge?

maybe I should say relatively easy to find, compared to "franchise" qb's. I don't like the term "franchise QB" anyway. I think it is used too often for the wrong reasons. Aaron Rogers could be a "franchise" qb for a west coast offense, but he would be a bad pick for a vertical pass, play action team. I think Darren Sproles would be a great pick for Linehan's offense- and he wouldn't cost the #2 pick.

caneaddict said:
No but we CAN get a Pro Bowl RB for a 2nd round pick, maybe a 3rd. So why draft one at #2. Is Ronnie Brown that much better than Shaun Alexander or Edge?

Why do you think that?

TeeMoney said:
maybe I should say relatively easy to find, compared to "franchise" qb's. I don't like the term "franchise QB" anyway. I think it is used too often for the wrong reasons. Aaron Rogers could be a "franchise" qb for a west coast offense, but he would be a bad pick for a vertical pass, play action team. I think Darren Sproles would be a great pick for Linehan's offense- and he wouldn't cost the #2 pick.

I agree with you on the franchise and Darren Sproles (I was pushin for this guy during college.) And I'm all for picking a RB later, but I just feel like some QB's in the later round will be as good or better than Aaron Rodger and Alex Smith. I would like for our draft to look like this:

Round 1: Braylon Edwards
Round 2 (depends on chiefs): Adrian McPherson
Round 3: (if second round is not recieved) Adrian McPherson (if still available)
Round 4: Defensive Player (S/CB)
Round 5: Darren Sproles
Round 7: BPA

I would go more indepth about 6/7 but thats not the point of this topic

Lol all these so called draft "experts" assume fins taking a rb at #2 but has any1 heard from Sabans mouth that we taking a rb?

Aaron Rodgers cud be the next Kurt Warner except younger and more mobile.
This kid is deadly accurate hes a rare breed it be tempting not to take him

Theres like 20 running backs in draft you can still get a good rb in 2rd or 3rd

When you pick as high as Miami is this year, you owe it to the franchise to pick the best player for the franchise. Saban knows this, and has said as much recently. If he happens to feel that a WR or RB is that person- for the franchise- then I will have to trust his decision. However, I don't think that is the right decision with the #2 pick. In another year, if Miami had the #20 pick would I want them to give up a bunch of picks and future picks to move up for a QB like Smith?? No. But this is an opportunity that you can't allow to pass. It has to be a risky pick. It has to be for the future. This is a pick that can determine the path of the franchise for the next 10 years, and I don't think a running back or wide receiver deserves that distinction.

I guess it's because I have been a Dolphin fan all of my life, and I have never seen the dolphins as poor as they were last year, nor in such a position to really make a future impact as they are this year.

boon said:
Lol all these so called draft "experts" assume fins taking a rb at #2 but has any1 heard from Sabans mouth that we taking a rb?

Aaron Rodgers cud be the next Kurt Warner except younger and more mobile.
This kid is deadly accurate hes a rare breed it be tempting not to take him

Theres like 20 running backs in draft you can still get a good rb in 2rd or 3rd

Wow...look heres another draft "expert"...how do you know that Ronnie Brown wont be the greatest RB to ever play. Aaron Rodgers could be a bust. Why do you think he is a rare breed? You say there are a lot of good RB's, but there are also good QB's late in the draft. Charlie Frye, David Greene, Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, Adrian McPherson, Andrew Walter...need I name more? There is the same amount of RB's as there are QB's that will be good picks later in the draft.

Personally, I am really starting to rate McPherson right up there with the other guys. I think he may have crept into the top 4 QB prospects out there.

I like Brown a lot though too. I deally, I would like to trade with Minnesota, pick up oneof the top 3 RB's at 7 and then trade the 18th overall for a first rounder next year and a second rounder this year. With the second rounder, draft McPherson and then go from there. If we had another second from Surtain, draft a safety, if not, then draft a safety in the third. I think we are really hampered by the fact that we draft so high in a year where players may not have sure fire superstar quality stamped on them.

Back
Top Bottom