Peter King on Dan patrick show.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Peter King on Dan patrick show....

thanks for the info. If he drafts as well as JImmy in rounds 2-7 I"m psyched. He just needs to draft better in round 1 than Jimmy.

bigmiamifan said:
So a 10-15 million singing bonus is OK for a green QB that won't play for 1-2 years, but it's no OK for a RB who will play immediately because there are cheaper RBs who won't be as good later in the draft?

Yes. Because, unfortunately, that's what the current market in the NFL dictates. Potential star QB's, in general, are harder to find than RB's. For the same reason LT's get bigger money than RT's and guards.

Nobody knows who is going to turn out in the draft. The reality is that this year happens to be an extremely strong year for running backs in the draft and I have no reason to believe that it won't be a strong year next year in FA for running backs. Smith and Rodgers could both turn out to be terrible but they could also turn out to be great. Odds are that one of them will pan out. Look at past drafts, Bledsoe/Mirer and Manning/Leaf) One QB sucked another was really good. I don't care if we draft a qb or rb, the fins need to draft the best player available. If that is a rb, wr, or qb when you pick this high you need to get good value. Drafting Brown would be great, but nobody can even agree that he is the best back in the draft. At least with a qb, it will be unquestionable that he is the best rated player available at his position. Oh and FYI, alot of people seem to think that the 2 qbs ARE the top players available regardless of position.

Most of the draft sights I've been to (that stay updated regularly and have been reliable in years past) have Smith rated at the top with Brown. The mocks seem to like Rogers going to San Fran, but I think it is mostly because of the system being run there, not the team picking BPA. I won't be upset with either, or any other, pick that Saban makes, because I don't have reason to second guess his ability to pick talent at the top level. He may be more familiar with Brown, so he may pick brown (or Caddy). If he picks Caddy over Brown it has to be because he knows the players by coaching against them. He's scouted them for years. He has Linehan's input, Spielman's input. So would I think it's a bad pick? No. I've suggested that he may take Spears (in a trade down, or possibly even at #2), because he knows the guy much better than any scout would- and most are pretty high on Spears (I know I am). But, if he passes on the RB's and QB's and WR's and picks a DT, wouldn't everyone freak out? So, this is why I think he is cursed with the #2 pick. At #5 or #7 he can be riskier, at #2 he has to be certain.

caneaddict said:
JJ wasn't lucky. He specifically traded down over and over to acquire plenty of picks.

Exactly. Im glad someone said so. To say JJ "threw a bunch of mud at the wall hoping some would stick" is :roflmao: :roflmao: . JJ was a brilliant drafter, if thats a word. He did it with dallas, he was great at finding diamonds.

feelthepain said:
No Way In He** We Take A Qb.......aint, Gonna, Happen!!!!!

True, but Saban does not want the other war rooms to know it.

I like the ideai of drafting a young qb. Miami will not be this bad of a team again so the chances of getting a top qb are remote. That position more than any other determinds the sucess of the team. To me it makes sense to spend the money there.

tucker said:
ya b/c u know exactly who he is gonna pick:rolleyes:

No....Because we will see what Feeley has, and Saban will be trading down so we won't be drafting with the #2 and besides no QB in this draft is the best player. If we stay at 2, we will be taking the best player avalible. How many more un-bias reason do you need?

marinotoclayton said:
Why wouldn't he draft a Qb. to me it makes sense. Because none of the Qb's on the roster do not impress anyone. And this is a perfect opportunity to draft a qb we have a low pick. With all the backs that are in the draft this makes even more sense. because there is no clear cut back to pick. And every coach wants a Qb that he can call his own.

So you think not having one of the top three RB's in the league in the backfield or having the worst coach in the league or not being given a fair chance in camp or having a rookie O-coordinator or replacing the whole O-line had something to do with AJ performance last year? I do. Name one QB that could have played in our system last year?

JJ had pretty bad drafts when he was with the dolphins, he had good 2nd round picks but everything else was in a lot of ways not good. He might have been great in Dallas, but not Miami

Noodleman said:
Just heard Peter King on the Dan Patrick show. I will summarize what he said. First, Saban wants to trade down get more picks(we all know this). Second, he said Saban will be very tempted to take the loser of the Rodgers/Smith pick. The reason he gave was that he believes Saban will be reluctant to pay a 10-15 million dollar signing bonus at a position that he sees as loaded in the draft and in free agency. Lastly, he said Saban reminded him of JJ, not Spurrier. He said Saban works harder than Spurrier ever did(like JJ with the Cowboys. Thats it. Sorry if this has been posted.

Great job. Thanks for the posting.

Quelonio said:
JJ had pretty bad drafts when he was with the dolphins, he had good 2nd round picks but everything else was in a lot of ways not good. He might have been great in Dallas, but not Miami

I agree. J.J. missed on a whole ****load of picks. His best rounds were the 2 and 3rd. He got our two corners and Konrad(who was good when J.J. was here) in the 2nd. He got J.T. and Derrick Rodgers in the 3rd. Z.T. was a 5th rounder. I can't really think of anybody else who stayed on made a difference other than that. We signed both our safeties in Marion and Walker. He only made one good 1st round pick and that was Daryl Gardener. To say that J.J. drafted well in Miami is simply not true. He missed on QUITE A FEW opportunities. The worst thing that happened to us was not getting Faulk in 99. We were so close.

I have a question here . if we can get a 4th rd this year and a 2nd rd next year why not draft Edwards, Morency, Wilkenson and a qb with one of the 4th rd picks ? or is there a qb worth a 4th rd pick ?

feelthepain said:
So you think not having one of the top three RB's in the league in the backfield or having the worst coach in the league or not being given a fair chance in camp or having a rookie O-coordinator or replacing the whole O-line had something to do with AJ performance last year? I do. Name one QB that could have played in our system last year?

No because for value a Qb is the way to go especially when you draft this low. This is a draft that has a lot of backs and i just don't think any of these guys has clearly made himself stand out above and beyond the others.

bigmiamifan said:
So a 10-15 million singing bonus is OK for a green QB that won't play for 1-2 years, but it's no OK for a RB who will play immediately because there are cheaper RBs who won't be as good later in the draft?
Which is the harder position to find? I see some teams that have 2-3 guys that could get a 100 yards like carolina, KC, GB, Minny etc. Qb is a premium position because of demand and shelf life. RB isnt because they grow on trees and their shelf life is tiny.

Back
Top Bottom