Peter King on Dan patrick show.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Peter King on Dan patrick show....

Noodleman

Starter
Reaction score
Just heard Peter King on the Dan Patrick show. I will summarize what he said. First, Saban wants to trade down get more picks(we all know this). Second, he said Saban will be very tempted to take the loser of the Rodgers/Smith pick. The reason he gave was that he believes Saban will be reluctant to pay a 10-15 million dollar signing bonus at a position that he sees as loaded in the draft and in free agency. Lastly, he said Saban reminded him of JJ, not Spurrier. He said Saban works harder than Spurrier ever did(like JJ with the Cowboys. Thats it. Sorry if this has been posted.

feelthepain said:
No Way In He** We Take A Qb.......aint, Gonna, Happen!!!!!
ya b/c u know exactly who he is gonna pick:rolleyes:

QB or not QB!

King's logic is sound. Alexander, James and Henry are available at a bargain basement price. Then look at the draft.....RB is the deepest position in the draft. Why pay a guy 10-15 million dollars when you could pay that and get a proven vet or pay way less and get a guy like Morency or Arrington(among others). I am not saying that the Fins should draft a qb but I don't think it is out of the question that Saban would draft one if he is stuck at the 2nd pick!

I FULLY AGREE on not drafting a RB that high. We can get so many other guys at that position for cheap. Teams aren't able to get 2nd rounders for Pro Bowl RB's. Ideally we should give GB our 4th for Najeh Davenport. We can sign him fairly cheap. Then get Ricky back cheap and leave cap space on the table.

Working the cap is key. That's why I would like to see us trade down out of the top 10 and sign multiple picks later. Guys like Matt Jones instead of Braylon Edwards, McPherson instead of Alex Smith, Davenport instead of Brown. There is a hit miss ratio for both the early and late round picks and I'm sure it's better for early picks. But, If we can pick up multiple picks, even with a worse hit/miss ratio we should have better success and at a better salary point because the misses can be cut with minimal cap effect and the hits will always want to restructure (ala Antonio Gates). So you'll always have to pay for the hits, but with lower picks the misses don't hurt as bad and you have more shots to make a hit.

JJ was lucky to have a ton of draft picks to help build a team with.... Saban has the opposite problem. We will see how he handles it.

I agree, JJ used the "just throw a lot of stuff at the wall to see what sticks" method of drafting.

JJ wasn't lucky. He specifically traded down over and over to acquire plenty of picks.

With our #2 if we were willing to trade down several times we could end up with a late 1st and a butt load of picks in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and next years 2nd, 3rd, 4th maybe even an extra 1st next year.

caneaddict said:
JJ wasn't lucky. He specifically traded down over and over to acquire plenty of picks.

Getting Minnesota to trade a ton of picks for HW was "Lucky". That really helped him get a tremendous jump start building that team. He did like to trade down alot, but he didn't always know a star in the making, i.e. Randy Moss.

JJ may have missed a star in the making with Moss but I am glad we don't have the associated problems Moss causes...attitude, less than full effort, etc.

Back
Top Bottom