Pff Defensive Line rankings | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pff Defensive Line rankings

mwestberry

Club Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins have plenty of question marks hovering over the pass rush, though they’ve accumulated a strong group of run-stoppers up front.

Plenty of speculation (IMO) out there ... I guess one can get an idea of what to expect (so many moving parts across the league) based on past accomplishments and rookie evals but it's a bit early to cement these opinions.

The Dolphins are in a place where nobody in the league and certainly nobody on the outside looking in can accurately project rankings without seeing the product on the field .... This team is going to surprise and the DL did (on paper) vastly improve the run game defense ....

In a vacuum I don't totally disagree with our line being at the bottom of the heap BUT when you add the projection of our secondary AND the projection of 2nd year coach Flo I see a much different ranking ....

Off the cuff and wearing my orange and aqua shades I would PROJECT our DL in the 16-20 range out of the gate .... helped out with scheme and a strong secondary.

What say you?

The Dolphins have plenty of question marks hovering over the pass rush, though they’ve accumulated a strong group of run-stoppers up front.

Plenty of speculation (IMO) out there ... I guess one can get an idea of what to expect (so many moving parts across the league) based on past accomplishments and rookie evals but it's a bit early to cement these opinions.

The Dolphins are in a place where nobody in the league and certainly nobody on the outside looking in can accurately project rankings without seeing the product on the field .... This team is going to surprise and the DL did (on paper) vastly improve the run game defense ....

In a vacuum I don't totally disagree with our line being at the bottom of the heap BUT when you add the projection of our secondary AND the projection of 2nd year coach Flo I see a much different ranking ....

Off the cuff and wearing my orange and aqua shades I would PROJECT our DL in the 16-20 range out of the gate .... helped out with scheme and a strong secondary.

What say you?

I agree.

We are in an excellent position with our newly acquired talent via the draft and free agency to be competitive this year, IF at least 70% of these new players and our remaining experienced players perform well.

What say you?

I don't know about 16-20 (you may be right), but I can't see any way they won't be better. Davis, Godchaux, and wilkins should be a pretty good trio, and Ogbah/Lawson have to be better at setting the edge than last year's bottom-dwellers. Pass rush is unknown, but I expect a lot more mind games to get people to the QB even if the talent is no better (I think it is). even then, the run D last year looked better the last 5 games or so.

I agree the DL, like the rest of the team, has a lot of questions. The DL will have 2-3 new faces and the rotational guys have a lot to prove.

If XMan is healthy and Byron Jones does his usual thing, QBs are going to have to hesitate that extra nanosecond, so it will be coverage sacks galore!! :D

Miami showed last year to have a well balanced DL.

They didn't get to the QB on passing plays and they balanced that out by not getting to the ball carrier on running plays.

I think the DL gets better at both this year. How much?

Last edited:
Based off last years play we deserve to be ranked that low. The team needs to produce on the field before they start getting recognition.

Really optimistic about our Defense this season. Coach Flores has his guy from New England, Kyle Van Noy joining the team and they should be able to create some havoc. Biggest unknown is just how quickly 2nd round Draft pick, Raekwon Davis makes the grade as a DT, but he is physically huge and his job is to take up space and stuff the run. New guys like Emanuel Ogbah from KC and Shaq Lawson from Buffalo are potentially good additions.

Really optimistic about our Defense this season. Coach Flores has his guy from New England, Kyle Van Noy joining the team and they should be able to create some havoc. Biggest unknown is just how quickly 2nd round Draft pick, Raekwon Davis makes the grade as a DT, but he is physically huge and his job is to take up space and stuff the run. New guys like Emanuel Ogbah from KC and Shaq Lawson from Buffalo are potentially good additions.
Unfortunately, there will be very little time to get everyone on the same page, but by midseason, I expect substantial improvement.

I'm a believer in rotation on the D-line. Very few players can go 100% 50 plays per game on the interior line, and our depth was almost nonexistent last year.

I think middle of the pack. Year two with Flores, year two for Wilkins. Some good additions. I think Lawson is going to have a breakout year.

Yes, I'd still make building the defensive line a priority but this isn't a terrible unit on paper.

I think middle of the pack. Year two with Flores, year two for Wilkins. Some good additions. I think Lawson is going to have a breakout year.

Yes, I'd still make building the defensive line a priority but this isn't a terrible unit on paper.
It's hard to say what the priority will be next season, unti we get a handle on the guys we drafted this year.

Fortunately, we have several high picks to address the shortcomings.

Back
Top Bottom