PFF Ranks Miami's Defensive Line 28th | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF Ranks Miami's Defensive Line 28th

Other than his billions Bill Gates has no money. Our defense, last year was a big play, scoring defense. The MOST important metric is points, the team with the most points in the end still wins the game. So, you can't really give a fair assessment of our defense if you say " other than the scoring." The turnovers and the fact that the defense put the offense in great position all year long is one of the huge reasons for our winning record.
I'd say our defense, as a unit. is in the top third in the NFL. I'm not sure where to rank our dline but we improved it greatly by bringing in Phillips. With Phillips, Wilkins, Ogbah and Davis we have a lot of talent. PFF has lost some credibility of late because some of their conclusions are a bit strange and off target, clearly they dislike the Dolphins, but who cares? I'm not going to allow PFF to ruin a single moment of my life because they're not high on our d-line. They are just an entertainment site that is incorrect quite often.

I respect PFF and find some of their information useful, but ranking Miami's defensive line 28th seems extremely low.

Admittedly, there's no way to know how good Phillips will become. That's an unknown and the team really needs him to be a plus player.

But the Dolphins do have nice depth and solid starters in Ogbah, Wilkins and Davis. I think it's an overall unit that's top half in the NFL.

Am I looking at it with aqua colored glasses?
No…they just need to prove it for a season!

if all that young talent develops they will be an upper unit!

Ridiculous idiot juice clickbait. All they are doing with their rankings recently is highlighting how poor they are at evaluation.

The ranking seems a bit low.

However, although I liked the pick at the time…has Christian Wilkins done anything?

I'd love to see more production from him - I just don't think he has it in him.

Maybe being a cog is all that he is, and all that the team needs him to be.

I believe in a 3-4 you can count the OLBs as linemen. And pff even said this. If you are counting Van Ginkel then it should be higher then 28th

Wilkins was a top 10 linemen in run stops. Davis was the best rookie DL not named chase young and even the pff ratings support this. Ogbah was top 5 in pressure from a DE. We also added the best pass rusher in the draft but sure 28

However, although I liked the pick at the time…has Christian Wilkins done anything?

I think you may be making a superficial judgement here.

In this scheme he doesn't play the role of a 3 technique, penetration lineman.

His job is/has been to take up space, and occupy defenders without giving ground.

With the emergance of Davis, he may get more opportunity in other roles.

I believe in a 3-4 you can count the OLBs as linemen. And pff even said this. If you are counting Van Ginkel then it should be higher then 28th
This is part of the problem with these rankings. With the scheme/philosophy we employ, it isn't an apples to apples comparison to a team that runs a base 4-3, rarely using more than 5 DBs.

It's just not the same thing, therefore judging them all by the same criteria in inherently flawed from the start.

So, PFF had Miami's secondary ranked 14th at the end of the 2020 season and prior to the draft. I disagree big time there.

Ranked the Dolphins linebackers at 26th for 2021.
So basically they are saying our defense was pretty bad and lower 1/3 of the league yet that is the unit that carried us to a 10 win season lol. I will admit though the defense was very leaky and let up a lot of yards... but they thrived off of turnovers and big plays which probably isnt sustainable.

So basically they are saying our defense was pretty bad and lower 1/3 of the league yet that is the unit that carried us to a 10 win season lol. I will admit though the defense was very leaky and let up a lot of yards... but they thrived off of turnovers and big plays which probably isnt sustainable.
I do think the defense was a tad smoke and mirrors as far as getting pressure. And what I mean is nobody was good at winning solo battles to generate pressure. I do believe Van Ginkel and ogbah were sneaky good in that area though. Also why we drafted Philips, guy is a beast

I do think the defense was a tad smoke and mirrors as far as getting pressure. And what I mean is nobody was good at winning solo battles to generate pressure. I do believe Van Ginkel and ogbah were sneaky good in that area though. Also why we drafted Philips, guy is a beast

OTOH, if those pressures/sacks were due to scheme (most were),and Flo has added talented pass rushers, then, to me, a very good scheme and talented pass rushers should be fun to watch.

So, PFF had Miami's secondary ranked 14th at the end of the 2020 season and prior to the draft. I disagree big time there.

Ranked the Dolphins linebackers at 26th for 2021.

If I understand this correctly, the DL is 28th, LB are 26th, secondary middle of the pack, but finished at the top i scoring. The D lost no critical pieces during OS and I see no big drop off in talent anywhere. IIRC, most of the big runs against the D were on the left side of the D. The entire D wasn't bad against the run. I'm missing something

If I understand this correctly, the DL is 28th, LB are 26th, secondary middle of the pack, but finished at the top i scoring. The D lost no critical pieces during OS and I see no big drop off in talent anywhere. IIRC, most of the big runs against the D were on the left side of the D. The entire D wasn't bad against the run. I'm missing something
Are these pff rankings? They are inherently flawed. I would definitely rank the secondary top 5. Noah should improve and Holland is better then McCain. The LBs got a real thumper who should be our Hightower in McKinney a pro bowl talent. Losing Van noy was trivial because van ginkel will take his snaps and is actually better imo. The line is also improved with better run stoppers added and Phillips of course. Overall the defense is top 10

Yes, being a cog is what Flo is looking for out of Wilkins. His role is not one conclusive to stats. So, those that do not pay attention and focus on him do not truly understand what he brings to the defense. Rhat said, he does need to step into a leadership role....and push through a few double teams for a crazy unexpected sack.

PFF sucks, it basically tells fans their eyes deceive them when they give players that did awful a passing grade and players playing great a low/mediocre grade.

Back
Top Bottom