PFF Ranks Miami's Defensive Line 28th | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF Ranks Miami's Defensive Line 28th

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I respect PFF and find some of their information useful, but ranking Miami's defensive line 28th seems extremely low.

Admittedly, there's no way to know how good Phillips will become. That's an unknown and the team really needs him to be a plus player.

But the Dolphins do have nice depth and solid starters in Ogbah, Wilkins and Davis. I think it's an overall unit that's top half in the NFL.

Am I looking at it with aqua colored glasses?

I respect PFF and find some of their information useful, but ranking Miami's defensive line 28th seems extremely low.

Admittedly, there's no way to know how good Phillips will become. That's an unknown and the team really needs him to be a plus player.

But the Dolphins do have nice depth and solid starters in Ogbah, Wilkins and Davis. I think it's an overall unit that's top half in the NFL.

Am I looking at it with aqua colored glasses?
I don't think you are, but they probably do have a point.

Not sure why you respect PFF, but that's an entirely different matter.

I really depends how they (or anyone else) "weight" the categories they are using for their metrics.

For example, if they are putting a high value on sacks, we fall very low. We also weren't very good against the run.

Set aside your love of the team, and affection for our players, and what does the raw data say?

I do believe much of this is due to philosophy and scheme, but we gave up a ton of yards, and there's no way to sugarcoat that fact.

The more I read PFF ratings, the more I think these guys are just hacks.

The fact that they set up their rating service first seems to be the only reason that people quote them... like, who else can you quote for your article? Their actual rating calls are so wildly out of whack sometimes.

I don't think you are, but they probably do have a point.

Not sure why you respect PFF, but that's an entirely different matter.

I really depends how they (or anyone else) "weight" the categories they are using for their metrics.

For example, if they are putting a high value on sacks, we fall very low. We also weren't very good against the run.

Set aside your love of the team, and affection for our players, and what does the raw data say?

I do believe much of this is due to philosophy and scheme, but we gave up a ton of yards, and there's no way to sugarcoat that fact.
Not sure all the metrics they used, but did talk about the lack of a pass rush, which is true.

So, PFF had Miami's secondary ranked 14th at the end of the 2020 season and prior to the draft. I disagree big time there.
I don’t see how that is possible. Our defense certainly wasn’t a top 5 defense but our secondary was amazing for how much we blitzed. Our entire defensive game plan changes if we don’t have that depth

I don’t see how that is possible. Our defense certainly wasn’t a top 5 defense but our secondary was amazing for how much we blitzed. Our entire defensive game plan changes if we don’t have that depth
Again, I don't know what metrics they are using but I think most football experts would say top 5 secondary.

I do have questions about the linebackers, but I think 26 is too low there.

If Miami's defensive line is 28th, linebackers 26th and secondary 14th, then Flores and his scheme are pretty amazing.

Back
Top Bottom