PFF Ranks Miami's Defensive Line 28th | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF Ranks Miami's Defensive Line 28th

Not addressing anyone specifically, but I think part of the descrepency between "rankings" and results is due to scheme and philosophy.

It's really not a straight comparison between the multi front hybrid we employ verses many other defensive systems.

My opinion, we are not far away (one or two studs) from being a dominant defense. Maybe Philips is one of those guys, maybe Iggy, who knows.

We need to generate an organic pass rush, and set the edge against the run. That is it.

I have faith we can going into year 3 of Flo.
I also think Miami is closing in on a dominant defense.

Like you said, maybe Phillips can be that guy. Maybe Iggy. Potentially Holland.

If Phillips can become the type of player teams need to game plan for, Flores can move away from relying so heavily on blitz packages.

In the end, Miami's Defensive Line finished amongst the bottom dwellers in the stats of stopping the run and rushing the passer. Ogbah led the team with 9 sacks from his DE position. No other lineman came close. And to add fuel to the low ranking, Ogbah didn't get a sack in the last 6 or 7 games, once teams started game planning for him. They need someone else to step up. Overall their numbers against the run were pedestrian at best.

If Miami finds another DLineman who can set the edge and rush the passer from his 3/4 DE position, perhaps the ranking will improve.

Miami's linemen all have traits that translate to the NFL. But none have shown to do anything exceptionally well. Now if they somehow improve the numbers by say 10%-15% over 2020, I could see them moving into the top portion of the rankings. Versatility is the name of the game. Now let's go out and smack some serious AZZ!!

Good analysis.

Let me ask you this. Do you view Ogbah, Davis and Wilkins as average, slightly above average? I ask this because I think they are all solid players, who are at least average in what they add to the defense. I still think Wilkins could take him game up a notch. We have seen some nice things from him. None of those three are dominate, but solid IMO. Now, maybe Phillips is the dominate addition but we don't know that.

In other words, I'm looking at the starters and there isn't what I'd consider a weak link. So, again the 28th ranking doesn't really jibe. Especially when you talk about the depth on the defensive line, which I think is good. Granted, the Dolphins could use another pass rusher for additional depth.
I think all three are above average starters. None are great, but they are good enough... and yes, if we can get a star to add to these guys, we'll have a REALLY nice group.

It really shouldn’t be such a shock that our defense preformed poorly by the individual player metrics PFF uses. When PFF grades the D line they look at gap play vs the run and pass rushing in 1v1 situations for each individual player. They do not factor in the performance of the unit as a whole in the metrics they use. Our front 7 was bad vs the run and bad at winning 1v1 pass rushing scenarios. That is why, according to the PFF metrics, our d line and linebackers were ranked poorly last season.

The reality is our defense is mostly scheme driven; it requires guys to know their responsibilities and execute. Outside of X it is unlikely you will see Dolphins players graded highly last year. It doesn’t mean our defense sucks (according to PFF), it means we don’t have a lot of players who are game changers on their own.

It really shouldn’t be such a shock that our defense preformed poorly by the individual player metrics PFF uses. When PFF grades the D line they look at gap play vs the run and pass rushing in 1v1 situations for each individual player. They do not factor in the performance of the unit as a whole in the metrics they use. Our front 7 was bad vs the run and bad at winning 1v1 pass rushing scenarios. That is why, according to the PFF metrics, our d line and linebackers were ranked poorly last season.

The reality is our defense is mostly scheme driven; it requires guys to know their responsibilities and execute. Outside of X it is unlikely you will see Dolphins players graded highly last year. It doesn’t mean our defense sucks (according to PFF), it means we don’t have a lot of players who are game changers on their own.
...or allowed to be.

That, to me, is one of the keys. If a player plays within the scheme that our coaches have decreed, PFF downgrades them.

Agree. I like the fact that PFF is trying to utilize stats in rankings, but I'd argue the same thing you just stated. No question I'd like Miami to give up fewer yards, but if they come up big in crucial situations that's what really matters.

Somehow that needs to be factored in, otherwise how do you have a top five defense in most categories and rank that low by unit?
Right...like...the units on defense ranked overall around #20 according to PFF...when we ALL know that's not the case. You don't carry a team to 10 wins ranking near the bottom third of the league. Not in this league.

Even looking at the 3 stats they did very well in that I listed above, there's unexplored context that would've rendered PFF's take moot. #1 in turnovers...one could argue well, they had more opportunities because the offense sucked. Which is likely true to a point, but being #1 on 3rd down defense kinda plays right into it. Those two stats feed DIRECTLY into ranking in points, which they'd have been #1 in as well (still, tied for 5th isn't terrible), had it not been for the complete implosion the last week of the season.

PFF ranks individual performance on a play-by-play basis, based on how they see the player's effectiveness. They don't account for unit cohesion, scheme and team-ball.

As an example of just how bad that I think PFF's metrics are, let me cite, Taco Charlton.

We all saw the problems with this guy; he refuses to play run support and completely sells out in an effort to rush the passer. He's a lousy teammate and a whiner and is only interested in himself...

PFF's rating 67.6 (into the light green area).

Why? Because they seem to only rate these guys on getting to the passer.

Their metrics are VERY flawed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom