PFF: What Should the Dolphins do Moving Forward? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF: What Should the Dolphins do Moving Forward?

T. J Watts had the bloodlines, that alone should have put him over Harris and a lot of us wanted Watt. Just another terrible pick at a key position. A franchise like the Steelers doesn't miss much.
I was pounding the table for us to take TJ Watt. You could see his ferocious pass rush was nearly identical to his brother's and he was destined to be an impact pass rusher. What we wouldn't give now to have such a versatile and effective guy. Sigh.

A wasted 2nd round pick...

Players we could have taken with that pick (2nd rd-62)...Juan Thornhill, Zach Allen, and Chase Winovich.

Another reminder that this tank job could turn into an episode of the Keystone Cops.

I agree. I never wanted them to trade for Rosen in the first place.

The Houston pick should go to WR, OT, or CB. I'd want to pair Tua with either Jerry Jeudy or Tylan Wallace, but Jeudy is likely to be off the board, and the consensus isn't as high on Wallace as they should be. It's possible that carries over to the 2020 Draft, and Miami could get him with one of the 2nd Round picks. If I felt confident in that scenario, I'd turn my attention to OT or CB. It looks like there will be 3 OT's who could be in that range, and a later move at OT wouldn't be bad at all - given that the new OT will be on a rookie contract for longer, and the team still has a 2021 1st and 2nd left over from the trade. If none of the OT's who are still on the board appear to be worth it, I'm looking at 4 CB's who could pay off the pick and put Miami in position to have one of the best CB groups in the league.
Mock drafts has us taking the Georgia RB..D’Andre Swift..

Thoughts?
Bpa

Swift is a very good RB prospect, but it's 2019, and Miami has gaping holes at premium positions - some of which will be very strong for the 2020 Draft. What the **** are they going to do with a RB? Can anyone justify drafting a RB in the 1st Round . . . for a team with this many needs at WR, OL, DL, and DB? Don't draft a RB in the 1st, but if you do, you should be a team that has an excellent roster otherwise. If Andy Reid drafted Saquon Barkley in the 1st, that would be cool. He'd use him like the weapon he is and not a RB that has 4 carries for 1 yard and 5 carries for 35 yards. But, Miami is in no position to help a RB reach his potential, and even if the RB did somehow reach his potential in Miami, despite all the obstacles for a position dependent upon so much, he still wouldn't be as valuable as a good OT, WR, DE, CB, or pretty much any other position on the football field.

Swift is a very good RB prospect, but it's 2019, and Miami has gaping holes at premium positions - some of which will be very strong for the 2020 Draft. What the **** are they going to do with a RB? Can anyone justify drafting a RB in the 1st Round . . . for a team with this many needs at WR, OL, DL, and DB? Don't draft a RB in the 1st, but if you do, you should be a team that has an excellent roster otherwise. If Andy Reid drafted Saquon Barkley in the 1st, that would be cool. He'd use him like the weapon he is and not a RB that has 4 carries for 1 yard and 5 carries for 35 yards. But, Miami is in no position to help a RB reach his potential, and even if the RB did somehow reach his potential in Miami, despite all the obstacles for a position dependent upon so much, he still wouldn't be as valuable as a good OT, WR, DE, CB, or pretty much any other position on the football field.
Besides, if we're drafting a RB high, I want Etienne, he can do it all and be had in the 2nd or 3rd round.

This was an interesting take. I think most are missing the point they are making, though. Most seem to think it has to be Tua this year in the draft and waiting on,Lawrence is impossible. The entire point of this segment is that the Dolphins are actually in a position to leverage for even more draft capital that could essentially make it impossible to prevent them from getting any QB they want, or even both, should they desire to. They have multiple first round pics over the next two years, and if landing generational talent at the QB position is possible, they can conceivably trade and push draft capital anyway they want to ensure they get that player first, and still then have additional draft capital to worry about other positions once they are sure the QB is right. It is somewhat of a unique position, and while it is unsure how they will handle it, it is not an inconceivable to see the QB position be a 2 or even 3 year endeavor.

Much like the two in the segment, I too believe Tua will go on to be a middle of the pack QB and would much prefer Lawrence. Truth is, the team is set up for this already if they want to pursue it. They can easily run with Fitz all season, pick up a few OL next offseason and do the Rosen evaluation then. No one will be able to say they didn’t address QB, either, because that move actually makes sense. Frankly, the only reason to be opposed to this is if you think Tua is elite, in which case, you will never forgive the FO if they don’t draft him anyway.

tanking? you just got a boat load of picks and you want this team to tank? how can you evaluate a player if he isn't giving his all to win? win as many games that you can and you coach the current players up to learn how to win and then add pieces, the team is already torn down to the skeleton, it's time to find out who are the keepers on this team and build around what exists.

tanking? you just got a boat load of picks and you want this team to tank? how can you evaluate a player if he isn't giving his all to win? win as many games that you can and you coach the current players up to learn how to win and then add pieces, the team is already torn down to the skeleton, it's time to find out who are the keepers on this team and build around what exists.
I agree with the overall sentiment here, but I think you may be overestimating how many actual "keepers" we actually have. A half dozen? Ten maybe?

Baker
X
Minkah
Wilkins?
Godcheux?
Wilson?
Deiter?
Grant?
Rosen???

Beyond that (and that's a lot of question marks), are there any guys you see here beyond next season?

I agree with the overall sentiment here, but I think you may be overestimating how many actual "keepers" we actually have. A half dozen? Ten maybe?

Baker
X
Minkah
Wilkins?
Godcheux?
Wilson?
Deiter?
Grant?
Rosen???

Beyond that (and that's a lot of question marks), are there any guys you see here beyond next season?
52 - At any given time during the season.

This was an interesting take. I think most are missing the point they are making, though. Most seem to think it has to be Tua this year in the draft and waiting on,Lawrence is impossible. The entire point of this segment is that the Dolphins are actually in a position to leverage for even more draft capital that could essentially make it impossible to prevent them from getting any QB they want, or even both, should they desire to. They have multiple first round pics over the next two years, and if landing generational talent at the QB position is possible, they can conceivably trade and push draft capital anyway they want to ensure they get that player first, and still then have additional draft capital to worry about other positions once they are sure the QB is right. It is somewhat of a unique position, and while it is unsure how they will handle it, it is not an inconceivable to see the QB position be a 2 or even 3 year endeavor.

Much like the two in the segment, I too believe Tua will go on to be a middle of the pack QB and would much prefer Lawrence. Truth is, the team is set up for this already if they want to pursue it. They can easily run with Fitz all season, pick up a few OL next offseason and do the Rosen evaluation then. No one will be able to say they didn’t address QB, either, because that move actually makes sense. Frankly, the only reason to be opposed to this is if you think Tua is elite, in which case, you will never forgive the FO if they don’t draft him anyway.

I'm sorry, but you need educate yourself with some Tua film. Literally nothing about Tua says he will be a middof the pack QB.

The only reason that some media heads started getting down on him is b/c they want to overlook that Tua's left knee (on his plant leg) was injured the entire 2nd half of the season. Something that clearly affected his velo and accuracy. Oh and he still finished the year with 43 TDs and 6 INTs despite that.

Tua will be a franchise-changing QB. And it will be for the Miami Dolphins.

And I'm tired of hearing about how Tua is on a stack team at Alabama and that's why his stats are so good. Well if that is the case then why didn't the previous QB's at Alabama under Saban put up the same stats as Tua has since they had the same kind of talent to work with? Riddle me that!

And I'm tired of hearing about how Tua is on a stack team at Alabama and that's why his stats are so good. Well if that is the case then why didn't the previous QB's at Alabama under Saban put up the same stats as Tua has since they had the same kind of talent to work with? Riddle me that!

If anything, Tua doing what he is at Alabama should be a HUGE plus as far as scouting goes. Jalen Hurts (who is currently bombing away under Lincoln Riley) threw for 40 TDs in 2 seasons under Saban. Tua threw for 43 TDs in one.

QBs don't thrive under Nick Saban, they simply don't. Tua is so good that it just doesn't matter.

I'm tired of hearing how Tua is definitely going to be an elite NFL quarterback that will be our savior, and singlehandedly rescue this franchise, and make us perennial SB participants.

There is no such thing as a sure thing when drafting any player, let alone a QB.

P. Manning was close, and Tua is no Peyton.

I don't have a problem with him per say, but stop with the "can't miss" rhetoric, and be honest that it is conjecture and opinion, not FACT.

If your not convinced on the "new nfl" absurdity (now headquartered in las vegas, nevada) then let these guys explain our tank job even better. I just feel awful for josh. This whole new "nfl way" stinks and these kids are humans with career goals. Sick to my stomach. RUN JOSH.......RUN!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom