Pff's 2019 Nfl Offensive Line Rankings | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pff's 2019 Nfl Offensive Line Rankings

While I'm also concerned about the right side, I don't think anyone can say "devoid" as an absolute. 'Undetermined' maybe. 'No one knows yet.' I'll even take 'no viable replacements so far.' But no one knows in absolute terms.

Jesse Davis? Barely a starting caliber player. Sterup? Barely good enough for a backup tackle spot, based on his play thus far. Isaiah Prince? A sixth round pick who had some good, some really bad, performances in college. Mills? Barely a starting caliber player. Daniel Kilgore, not even a top 25 center in the league.

It's bad.

Jesse Davis? Barely a starting caliber player. Sterup? Barely good enough for a backup tackle spot, based on his play thus far. Isaiah Prince? A sixth round pick who had some good, some really bad, performances in college. Mills? Barely a starting caliber player. Daniel Kilgore, not even a top 25 center in the league.

It's bad.

I suppose our possible disagreement is I place a lot of emphasis on coaching - particularly on the OL. Technique is critical. I think all 5 OLOmen will improve. No, I'm not saying 5 All-Pros and I'm not saying 5 average guys or better. But I was quite frustrated last season with how many free rushers got to pick-a-QB. I doubt that will happen under real coaches. Proper play-calling will help. Thus, I struggle with devoid. Again, I'm also concerned about the OL, but put more faith in coaching.

I think we'll be a bit better this year. I have faith in Michael Deiter, and if Tunsil plays as well as last year (big if), then we'll have a good left side. Kilgore is serviceable in the middle, and we're unknown on the right, but not devoid of talent.
Agreed. As New England has proven over the years this can be greatly influenced by good coaching and technique. We don't need all number one picks on the offense of line to be effective. Just sound coaching along with prudent game planning.

We better hope Jesse Davis was either playing out of position (not sure I buy it) or let down by coaching technique (might buy that one) cause he was one of tbe most underwhelming result dolphins in 2018

Didn’t come close to living up to the ascending hype. Looked maxed out even which is an ugly word

Couple of lunch pails like dieter and reed may help. 30 plus jags like Daniel Kilgore sure don’t move the needle

I would say this -- I think one could make a case that OL coaching is
the MOST IMPORTANT positional coaching on any team. Sure you can
say QB is #1. But many times that's critically handled by either the
HC or O coordinator with an "assist" by the QB coach.

But history shows OL is the singular UNIT where coaching is absolutely
critical to performance. Just go back to the Dolphin glory days and see
Monte Clark followed by John Sandusky... And then ask yourself
how critical has Dante Scarnecchia been to the Cheats?

That said -- of course it takes the horses and we've got serious questions.
But I think we'll be MUCH MORE aggressive (proactive) in addressing
the OL than we have been in the past -- move 'em in move 'em out.
Work on it until you solve the problem...

Last edited:
Without James at RT I don't see how we're better.

And we are absolutely devoid of talent on the right side.
I agree, many didn't appreciate James' contribution. He was not spectacular, but very solid, and as we can see, probably not easily replaced.

That being said, no way I pay him the kind of jack he got on the open market, so what ya gonna do.

I agree, many didn't appreciate James' contribution. He was not spectacular, but very solid, and as we can see, probably not easily replaced.

That being said, no way I pay him the kind of jack he got on the open market, so what ya gonna do.

James was PROVEN to be unreliable and absolutely a joke at the money he got from doofus Elway.

I don't know how many/if any lines were worse, but I know that ours was bad, bad, bad...

Even as we move closer to Arena Football scores, winning in the trenches is still a thing...

James was PROVEN to be unreliable and absolutely a joke at the money he got from doofus Elway.

Now Im not crying that we lost James for the money AND we are gonna suck this year. With that said, Clabo, Martin, and Young were jokes. If this team was anywhere close to contending, I wouldn't be so care free about losing James.

I feel like watching Mills and Sterup at RT this year may bring an appreciation for James.

Now Im not crying that we lost James for the money AND we are gonna suck this year. With that said, Clabo, Martin, and Young were jokes. If this team was anywhere close to contending, I wouldn't be so care free about losing James.

I'd certainly rather have him on the team -- but NOT for that $$$ no matter what.

Problem is we have not managed our positional priorities correctly in relation to
the cap, drafts, FA and resigning our own players. We've been using a rather crude
shotgun approach followed by band-aides!

Leaving a bloody mess!

I'd certainly rather have him on the team -- but NOT for that $$$ no matter what.

Problem is we have not managed our positional priorities correctly in relation to
the cap, drafts, FA and resigning our own players. We've been using a rather crude
shotgun approach followed by band-aides!

Leaving a bloody mess!

That's fair. He would make this team better but completely understand letting him go.

I feel like watching Mills and Sterup at RT this year may bring an appreciation for James.
I think you can throw in Jesse Davis at right tackle in that competition as well, with Dieter and Reed probably becoming guard starters.

Back
Top Bottom