Pff's 2019 Nfl Offensive Line Rankings | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pff's 2019 Nfl Offensive Line Rankings

I would like to believe we have our G solution on the roster between Michael Deiter,
Shaq Calhoun, Chris Reed, Tony Adams and Ryan Anderson (C/G). RT is another matter
as well as T depth. Davis has to be the early fav @RT along with the "miracle" emergence
of one of the rookies...

As others have stated -- 2020 needs certainly include C and T.

Without James at RT I don't see how we're better.

And we are absolutely devoid of talent on the right side.
Couple of things though …

1) Ju'Wuan James wasn't that good … he never really graded out all that great, despite his reputation here. He was a decent pass protector and a bad run blocker in his time … so replacing him isn't going to be as hard as some might think.
2) If we remain healthy (huge if), the return of Kilgore is an upgrade, and the addition of Deiter--who is the surest bet of any rookie OL to be healthy--means our LG play will be dramatically better.

We do have a bit of a wait-and-see attitude at RG and RT, and Kilgore needs to remain healthy … but don't be surprised if our OL ends up being better this year than last year. The bar is pretty low.

Couple of things though …

1) Ju'Wuan James wasn't that good … he never really graded out all that great, despite his reputation here. He was a decent pass protector and a bad run blocker in his time … so replacing him isn't going to be as hard as some might think.
2) If we remain healthy (huge if), the return of Kilgore is an upgrade, and the addition of Deiter--who is the surest bet of any rookie OL to be healthy--means our LG play will be dramatically better.

We do have a bit of a wait-and-see attitude at RG and RT, and Kilgore needs to remain healthy … but don't be surprised if our OL ends up being better this year than last year. The bar is pretty low.

James was Miami's second best offensive lineman and as a pass protector was in the top half of his position in the league.

Kilgore (in the limited time that he played) graded worse than Travis Swanson did at center.

Deiter is a third round pick and an incoming rookie. I have zero expectation given that fact.

And that's not to mention what happens when guys inevitably get hurt during the season.

Our OL has the potential of being putrid, but what has AZ done to relinquish this "honor" to us?

James was Miami's second best offensive lineman and as a pass protector was in the top half of his position in the league.

Kilgore (in the limited time that he played) graded worse than Travis Swanson did at center.

Deiter is a third round pick and an incoming rookie. I have zero expectation given that fact.

And that's not to mention what happens when guys inevitably get hurt during the season.
Well if you look at James for only last year, yes he was … but if you look at him over the length of his contract he wasn't very good even at pass protection. Both are fair ways. But no matter how you look at it, James was a bad run blocker and missed games just about every year.

Kilgore isn't great, I'm not trying to say he's the answer. He's nothing more than a stopgap. But if you look at the games he did play, our OL was decent.

I understand you have zero expectations for a 3rd round pick. I have high expectations for Deiter. Our opinions differ there, fair enough. But one thing is pretty clear, he's durable, and he was one of the best OL in the Big 10 for the last few years. I think he went where he did in the draft because he has a limited ceiling but a high floor. I'm comfortable with that floor and durability, because it will be an upgrade to the performances we've been getting the last decade. Sitton was awesome, but not durable, and we played with jack and shiz at that position when he was out.

Your point about injuries is a good one … and one of the reasons I'm so happy we landed Deiter, he holds the Wisconsin record for most games played … he was a starter day 1 as a freshman and played every game and bowl game for a school that is known as OL-U. We agree that even more than talent, our problem over the last decade has been lack of durability across the OL. IMHO, Michael Deiter is the beginning of the answer to that problem.

Mach, I think if a QB is bereft of even the slightest pocket awareness that is a fatal flaw. He did have a ton of good about him but pocket awareness never got better with reps.

This oline on paper is better than last season even with the overpaid and overrated JuÁnn James gone. Tunsil was very good most of last season so I expect him with some stellar coaching to step up his game to perhaps an All-Pro level. He certainly has the talent. I love the pick of Michael Deiter from Wisconsin. He 6'5" and 310 and he comes from a great tradition of olinemen. He started 54 straight games and has played tackle and center as well. Kilgore was slightly above average at the pivot so I expect similar if he can stay healthy. Jordan Mills started for the Bills at RT for 4 straight years. Not a stand out by any means but steady and I'm hoping in this scheme he can hold his own and secure the starting job. RG seems to be Chris Reed's to lose. He 6'5" and 310 so he has the size and 4 years of NFL experience behind him. He came from the Jags. I quite concerned about the right side but I have a faith that this group of coaches have a number of tricks up there sleeve to get the whole offense going. The ball will come out fast so pass blocking for the most part should be easier. It's tough to get to Brady because the ball is gone. We hopefully, will employ this style in the passing game. It remains to be seen if this group can run block but pads haven't even come on yet so we have plenty of time to have this unit come together. Don't forget we have a FB as a lead blocker. I'm eager to see what Chandler Cox can do to help the run game.

Mach, I think if a QB is bereft of even the slightest pocket awareness that is a fatal flaw. He did have a ton of good about him but pocket awareness never got better with reps.

This oline on paper is better than last season even with the overpaid and overrated JuÁnn James gone. Tunsil was very good most of last season so I expect him with some stellar coaching to step up his game to perhaps an All-Pro level. He certainly has the talent. I love the pick of Michael Deiter from Wisconsin. He 6'5" and 310 and he comes from a great tradition of olinemen. He started 54 straight games and has played tackle and center as well. Kilgore was slightly above average at the pivot so I expect similar if he can stay healthy. Jordan Mills started for the Bills at RT for 4 straight years. Not a stand out by any means but steady and I'm hoping in this scheme he can hold his own and secure the starting job. RG seems to be Chris Reed's to lose. He 6'5" and 310 so he has the size and 4 years of NFL experience behind him. He came from the Jags. I quite concerned about the right side but I have a faith that this group of coaches have a number of tricks up there sleeve to get the whole offense going. The ball will come out fast so pass blocking for the most part should be easier. It's tough to get to Brady because the ball is gone. We hopefully, will employ this style in the passing game. It remains to be seen if this group can run block but pads haven't even come on yet so we have plenty of time to have this unit come together. Don't forget we have a FB as a lead blocker. I'm eager to see what Chandler Cox can do to help the run game.

And pass blocking

Reactions: BSQ
Nfl.com just put out an article where they ranked the dolphins as having the worst offensive trio in the league.

Rosen
Stills
Drake

we’re ranked 32 and you can’t even blame them for the ranking. Any one that watches the nfl outside of just dolphins games can see this team lacks talent big time. We’ve got about 5 good players and everyone else sucks or hasn’t proven a thing in the nfl.

I am really hoping for some good news on Jesse Davis at right tackle. Jordan Mills is probably better suited as a backup that will struggle if he has to play full time. He led all Bills linemen in pressure allowed. Unless we see some improvement out of Davis or a more successful, quick passing attack, it is going to get ugly.

I'm hoping that the MO from a few years ago proves to be true....that JD is a more natural right tackle.

Lots of hoping for this unit....better coaching, a healthier season and that a player or two will step up for once. It's been a long time since a relatively unknown guy surprised us in a good way.....maybe back to Mark Dixon?

https://www.phinsnews.com/miami-dolphins-news-film-study-jesse-davis-right-tackle/

I keep remembering some of Gase's ramblings about some of these players....

Sterup is not a right tackle, he's a left tackle.
Albert Wilson is not a slot. We'll see.

I am also hoping that someone can displace Kilgore at center as well. We basically have some rookies and 1 legit starter on the line. Come on next wave of FA....

I am really hoping for some good news on Jesse Davis at right tackle. Jordan Mills is probably better suited as a backup that will struggle if he has to play full time. He led all Bills linemen in pressure allowed. Unless we see some improvement out of Davis or a more successful, quick passing attack, it is going to get ugly.

I'm hoping that the MO from a few years ago proves to be true....that JD is a more natural right tackle.

Lots of hoping for this unit....better coaching, a healthier season and that a player or two will step up for once. It's been a long time since a relatively unknown guy surprised us in a good way.....maybe back to Mark Dixon?

https://www.phinsnews.com/miami-dolphins-news-film-study-jesse-davis-right-tackle/

I keep remembering some of Gase's ramblings about some of these players....

Sterup is not a right tackle, he's a left tackle.
Albert Wilson is not a slot. We'll see.

I am also hoping that someone can displace Kilgore at center as well. We basically have some rookies and 1 legit starter on the line. Come on next wave of FA....
What next wave?

The only FAs will be guys that didn't make other team's rosters. Good luck finding starters there.

Our best hope is that our guys will benifit from better coaching than we have recently had. I think there os a strong possibility this is tge case.

Perhaps not with guys like Mills, he is what he is, but Davis, Sterup or Reed may suprise us.

In any event, even with the best case scenario, our depth is highly suspect.

What next wave?

The only FAs will be guys that didn't make other team's rosters. Good luck finding starters there.

Our best hope is that our guys will benifit from better coaching than we have recently had. I think there os a strong possibility this is tge case.

Perhaps not with guys like Mills, he is what he is, but Davis, Sterup or Reed may suprise us.

In any event, even with the best case scenario, our depth is highly suspect.

If you didn't notice, there were a lot of "hopes" in my post. :)

Besides, vets get cut in favor of younger players with lower salaries. Rookies get cut as well as teams trim the rosters. There will be players released that are better than some of our starters. It happens every year. Teams with depth have to shave talented players off the roster. They may try to stick them on the PS but it doesn't always work. There are teams that are loaded on the OL and in particular at one position that may be of need to Miami.

You would have a hard time convincing me that no players will be cut who are better than the likes of Jordan Mills, Chris Reed, etc. If Mills doesn't grab a starting spot, he may not even stick since his contract has ZERO money guaranteed. I doubt they pay him 3M to be a backup unless he can be a swing tackle. 1,184 players will be released on the cut down from 90 to 53.

This roster is not set in July. Several vets will be signed after week 1 throughout the NFL, when the contracts are not guaranteed.

LG Tunsil
RG Deiter
C Kilgore
LG Reed
LT Davis

That's what I think the starting line will be. Hopefully they are average to start and get better as the season wears on.

There were a couple of guy's I though could be of interest at RT - 1.Anthony Davis who has been retired 4 years former 1st round pick #11 through he was worth a look at the right price, the other was 2.Desmond Harrison who missed his flight to training camp and was cut, was Cevelands starting LT last year but obvious a problem child but also worth a look. No movement and camp ready to start must mean we go as we are.

For the right price I still bring both to camp for a look-see - and would keep them if the balled and were at the right price.

Let Davis fight it out with Reed and Kilgore - try both Reed and Davis at center and RG looking to get better at C

JaWan James blanked some of the best pass rushers in the NFL, yes they are speed rushers - his problem was the bull rushers who were stronger than he was, he never anchored right and would get pushed right back into the QB he still worth 12 mil a year IMO Denver gave him alot more. He exactly the guy you draft hoping the weight room gets him stronger, but it never worked for him...better coaching could cure his problem to I would think.

Back
Top Bottom