PFT: "Norv Who??" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFT: "Norv Who??"

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
NORV WHO?

Some league insiders are questioning the supposed genius of Dolphins offensive coordinator Norv Turner, who still is considered by many to be one of the top offensive coaches in the game.

As one front-office type told us, "That star went out five years ago."

Actually, we think Turner was exposed not long after he took the head-coaching job in Washington after the 1993 season. After all, it was easy to come off as a top-notch coordinator with talent like Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin, and a mammoth offensive line. Since leaving the Cowboys, however, what has Turner really done?

He certainly hasn't looked like a genius the last few weeks. And most Skins fans concur with the above sentiments. Thoughts??

link

Aah...The NFL.... good one week, and you suck the next. One or two good offensive games, and he'll "suddenly" be a genius again.

When Norv gets creative with the calling, then things work. I feel tho' that sometimes he gets outcoached really bad. I mean when we played the Pats, Norv was out of his league with Bellichick down there. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time worrying what he was gonna call next and felt one wrong play and Norv's plan would be exposed. I know it's crazy but with the Fins having the talent they have there isn't much room left for excuses, IMO.

That reverse he called a couple weeks ago was brilliant. How about some more plays like that? What about a flea flicker. Could we be successful with that. That's a great play. We need to change it up.

fles flicker wont work by the time the rb pitches the ball back the qb is toast.

to quote Gary Stephens
you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh$t
:rolleyes: :jk:

He is still a decent OC, but by no means a genius or at least not genius like Belicheck is a genius on D.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
NFL truly is a "what have ya done lately" league

This season I've seen games where I thought the play calling was excellent and games where I was less than impressed. In typical knee jerk reaction Norv has been both a genius and an idiot depending on whether or not Miami won that week. My guess is that he will return to genius status again (hopefully this week) and also return to idiot status (hopefully not til next season)

Norv Turner has sucked recently. But PFT is way off base claiming he's been overrated.

How can Redskins fans critisize his offensive abilities? He made Brad Johnson a 4000 yard passer, two NO NAME WR's 1000 yard guys, a 1400 yard rusher, and his fullback had the most receptions.

How in the hell did Belicheck outsmart him, anyway? I really want to hear this one. Belicheck is a good offensive coach, but "Genius" is definately being throw around waaaaay too much here. Stephen Hawkings is a genius. Bill Belicheck is not.

Originally posted by Disgustipate
Belicheck is a good offensive coach

They must be talking about defensive and not offensive.

Bellichick has given the Pats a championship with no big names player and he's doing the same thing this year with a lot of injuries, that's why everyone call him a genius.

Compare to the other coaches I think he earned that title.

As for being a genius, you can't compare him to Einstein. But as a football coach, he is. It always depend on the situation.

When someone says 'genius' on this board or any NFL show, I think we all know that it's being said in the realm of football. And in that regard, Belichick is a defensive genius.

The average person in here didn't know about Norv Turner as a coordinator in Dallas, after he joined as an offensive coach for miami. He's had success with Dallas, Washington and San Diego. All the talks that he had "mammoth lines" a receiver and a running back are exxagerate. He coached Troy Aikman to be the Quarterback that he's been most of his career. He taught the guy proper technique as well. Not only is he a great caller but he is also a great teacher of the game and up until this day Troy Aikman has a lot of respect for Norv Turner because he was an influence in his Pro career. He's had success in washington with stephen davis and a crazy change of quarterbacks but he had so much control of the team and things don't work that way. He had success with Ladanian Tomlinson in his rookie year but for such an underpaid coach miami got him for a bargain unlike some defensive coaches in this league that have a talent pool of defenders such as Tampa.

I think some people in here have personal insecurities by calling someone else a Genius. Belichick in the other hand has had a plenty of good veterans working for him in his career.

Back
Top Bottom