PFW on Fins 2004 QB, Ogunleye | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFW on Fins 2004 QB, Ogunleye

KeyHawk

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hope it's Seattle that signs Ogun.

Posted today in the Whispers section of Pro Football Weekly:

The Dolphins’ QB situation most likely will look very different in 2004 than it did in ’03. Backup Brian Griese is all but gone, given his high price, and word is starter Jay Fiedler isn’t far behind him out the door. Sage Rosenfels will be the primary backup, and the Dolphins, whom team observers believe will be armed with two first-round picks because it will decline to match any huge offers to restricted free agent DE Adewale Ogunleye, will be on the market for a youngster at quarterback. North Carolina State’s Philip Rivers and Tulane’s J.P. Losman are names that have been mentioned early on, and Miami also is expected to be a player in the Drew Henson sweepstakes.

Oh I have chills. Can you imagine tow #1s in this draft AND HENSON.:eek: Rebuilding all in one year. A year with a great draft.

Not if Henson costs a first rounder in 2005. In that scenario I'd rather have Rivers and a first rounder in 2004, and keep our 2005 first rounder.

Overall I'd rather just draft Rivers and keep Ogunleye but if this article is to be believed, we're about to let Ogunleye go. Oh well. I hope we can find someone to replace him on the Left side cuz its not gonna be as easy as everyone seems to think. Maybe if the Texans go for Ogun we have a shot at getting Tommie Harris!

I keep hearing a 2nd rounder for Henson. Funny the article didn't mention Ricky Ray. Is it simply regurgitating already known fact and rumors?

I don't think Ricky Ray is considered to be on the radar screen as far as counting on him to start or to be a QB of the future.

I've heard a second rounder for Henson but I've also heard a first rounder. In fact I heard the Steelers were real interested in Henson but were very turned off by the Texans' asking price of a 1st round pick. They consider Henson to be worthy only of a 2nd round selection because he hasn't seen the football field in 3 years. This fits in with what a reporter up in Pitt recently said, that the Steelers will not pursue Henson. He said they consider him a second round selection candidate.

I think if we get Henson it will probably be for a first rounder in 2005. BTW yeah precedent is there that a 2nd rounder in 2004 = a first rounder in 2005 in trade, but there aren't a whole lot of teams that would do that trade. Miami did it for Patrick Surtain once but never would have if they weren't absolutely positive which player they were getting and that he really is a special talent.

By most accounts, Ricky Ray isn't ready for the NFL. Not starting anyway. And he's no interested in a #3 job. So he isn't really a consideration at this point.

The price for Henson will be a conditional second-round pick in 2005 that will turn into a first-rounder if Henson plays a certain percentage.

Kind of up in the air on Henson. I'm all for a 2nd rounder next year if we can swing it, but I won't give a conditional, nor a first rounder next year. He's a gamble, as all QB"s are, but such a short track record, coupled with 3 years out of the game make him a work in progress, and more of a gamble. Ihope for the best though, I'm all for Rivers or Henson, though I'm pulliing more for rivers.

Originally posted by DolfanDaveInATX
The price for Henson will be a conditional second-round pick in 2005 that will turn into a first-rounder if Henson plays a certain percentage.

Not questioning you, but could you tell me how you know this?

going for henson makes more sense if the team is truely interested in brunell. brunell has stated he does not want to sign with a team that is interested in drafting a QB in the first. any of the present draftees could start as early as next season, it is not probable that henson will be ready that soon. convicing brunell he had two maybe three years before henson was ready i think is feasable.

bringing in brunell would show a win now mentality. he believes he has 3-4 years of good play left. i think 2-3 is more realistic and puts him at about 36. henson would be rounding into shape, about year two.

if the phins go this route, that is probably two firsts and two thirds to address the O if they let Ogun go.

I think Brunell would see Drew Henson's presence on the roster as just as threatening as a Phil Rivers.

Anyway considering the teams likely to be interested in Brunell, and Brunell's age (34 by the time season starts), I seriously doubt he'll be able to hang onto that desire not to go to a team that has a QB of the future. Whichever team he chooses will probably have either a first round QB already on the roster (Chicago) or will draft one this year (Raiders, Cardinals).

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Not if Henson costs a first rounder in 2005. In that scenario I'd rather have Rivers and a first rounder in 2004, and keep our 2005 first rounder.

Overall I'd rather just draft Rivers and keep Ogunleye but if this article is to be believed, we're about to let Ogunleye go. Oh well. I hope we can find someone to replace him on the Left side cuz its not gonna be as easy as everyone seems to think. Maybe if the Texans go for Ogun we have a shot at getting Tommie Harris!

Forget Henson, get Rivers! he wont cost as much but will deliver the goods.

Back
Top Bottom