PFW: Williams, Dolphins lacking offensive punch | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFW: Williams, Dolphins lacking offensive punch

PatsWin2002

Bringin' it!
Reaction score
http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Spins/2003/spins102403.htm

Here's the Fins part:

Oct. 24, 2003

Dolphins' nosediving offense

ProFootballWeekly.com asks associate editor Jeff Reynolds for his thoughts on the hottest topics in the NFL:

Williams, Dolphins lacking offensive punch

The Dolphins openly discussed their intentions to get Ricky Williams 1,800 to 2,000 yards this season. But that prediction was based on having some semblance of balance, and the passing game, 27th in the NFL, hasn’t held up its end of the bargain. QB Jay Fiedler has a bad knee and could be replaced, but chances are the Dolphins wouldn’t miss him. He’s completing only 56.9 percent of his passes with more interceptions (seven) than TD passes (six).

PFW: Given the predictability of the Dolphins’ offense, Miami must change its approach. Do the Dolphins have the weapons to help Ricky Williams?

Reynolds: There are enough weapons, but offensive coordinator Norv Turner’s game plans have not been executed. Because injuries have forced Turner to keep QB Jay Fiedler in the pocket, teams do not bite on misdirection, and play fakes have become wasted energy. With Williams gaining less than four yards per carry, the passing game has to generate big plays or Williams will continue to meet eight- and nine-man fronts.

The offensive line has been dominated on the edges in the run game. Light-footed OLT Wade Smith has been a superb pass blocker but can be pushed back by powerful defensive ends. ORT Todd Wade is a polished run blocker, but with teams opting to play five down linemen and bring their strong safety up, Wade has often been the target of the run blitz. The interior offensive line is below average, taking away the draw and trap plays that were so effective in 2002.

“They have passing game personnel in a power-running offense,†said one advanced scout. “There is a conflict there because (TE) Randy McMichael is their only underneath receiver, but he can’t block.â€Â

Some have suggested that, in addition to moving the pocket and getting Fiedler to use his legs, the Dolphins should go with multiple-WR sets. WR Chris Chambers had 11 catches in his first two games of the season but has only 11 receptions since. With only five offensive linemen blocking, Williams, running out of a one-back set, could be just as effective.

“Yes, because they have guys  Chambers and (Derrius) Thompson  who are bigger and can put a block on a corner. And McMichael can go to the slot, you can put him in motion and use him as a lead blocker, that sort of thing is what we anticipated just to get Ricky that room and help Fiedler out a bit.â€Â

The Dolphins' opponent on "Monday Night Football," the Chargers, has a secondary that can be victimized by spread offenses, mainly because their front seven rarely gets pressure on the quarterback. San Diego has 14 sacks, but its pressure seems to come when defensive coordinator Dale Lindsey sends a linebacker or safety. Turner will recognize that, and should be able to use Week Eight as a springboard for his offense and pick up momentum for the remainder of the season.

Originally posted by Al13
i think mcmichael is not a bad blocker though

i agree. he is a pretty good blocker. i've seen him do a lot more good then bad when it comes to blocking.

That was some great info. Thanks.

I too think McMichael is a decent blocker - but he's not a genuine run-blocking TE who can crunch down on a DE. Nevertheless, he is in the mold of Shannon Sharpe - and Denver has a great running game.

I still like the PFW idea of using more of a spread offense - 3 WR's and still running Ricky.

Again, they point to the issue of the OL.

Hey, somebody here kept calling for the spread offense the last week or two. Time to come in and brag fella!! :)

Randy McMichael's blocking skills are more than adequate. The notion that his blocking is a liability is just plain wrong.

Originally posted by poppy
Randy McMichael's blocking skills are more than adequate. The notion that his blocking is a liability is just plain wrong.
Nicely put, agree 100% with you poppy

I also agree. Randy can block. Now wash your hands, poppy. ;)

Coming together nicely I think. Griese is going to play in a game that is set up for him to succeed...and I think the coaches know this and have semi-planned for it.

When Fiedler gets healthy, he might be placed immediately back in the lineup say against the Colts, but his leash will have been significantly shortened due to the success of Brian Griese against San Diego.

At this point I would say Fiedler has done more than enough to deserve benching.

Back
Top Bottom