Phelps gets 5th gold, sets 4th world record | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phelps gets 5th gold, sets 4th world record

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
U.S. star, teammates win 800 freestyle; teammate Lochte breaks 2 marks

Ryan Lochte, Klete Keller and Michael Phelps celebrate after helping to win the 800-meter freestyle and set a world record.

Michael Phelps set another world record in the pool Friday night. This time, he needed help from his American teammates, including Ryan Lochte, who outdid Phelps with two world records at the world championships.

Overshadowed by bigger names on the U.S. men’s team and a frequent runner-up, Lochte emerged in his own right with a stunning victory in the 200-meter backstroke, snapping teammate Aaron Peirsol’s seven-year winning streak.

“I just dug deep and went for it,†Lochte said. “He’s a great competitor, but you can’t always win every race, every day.â€Â

Tell that to Phelps.

Lochte came back later and joined Phelps, Klete Keller and Peter Vanderkaay for a world-record victory in the 800 freestyle relay, making Phelps 5-for-5 this week with four world records in as many days.

The quartet touched first in 7 minutes, 03.24 seconds, lowering the time of 7:04.66 set by Australia at the 2001 world championships in Fukuoka, Japan.
It was Lochte’s second world record of the night to go with his new standard in the 200 backstroke.

And he earned his first gold medal in Melbourne, having been runner-up to Peirsol in the 100 back and Phelps in the 200 individual medley.

“Some people go out there and swim for second because they don’t think they can beat a Phelps or a Peirsol,†he said. “I go in there ad honestly think I can.â€Â

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17828392/

Back
Top Bottom