Philbin Era | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin Era

JahnDho

Active Roster
Reaction score
The greatest thing I learned about the Dolphins during the Philbin era was the lack of leadership, support and football knowledge from the two executives at the top. Many of the misdealings in Miami would have happened under any inexperienced head coach. It was an institutional problem and the state of the Dolphins before and after Philbin has not been drastically different to sugggest otherwise.

I’m not suggesting Philbin is a great head coach, but I do believe he’s capable and will continue showing this as opportunities re-emerge. His opportunity right now in GB will show that; with his first being a win this past week.

He gets the bad rap, but it’s mistargeted. He didn’t have the organizational support nor the authority to be held fully responsible. He was the fall guy and fin fans and media are naive for believing it.

I didn’t always like the way he presented himself on the sidelines or during press conferences. But mark my words, in time he will prove he’s a quality coach. Maybe a better coordinator than a head coach, but his stint in Miami should not define him as a head coach either. Despite what many believe, the Fins organization has not been run well for decades. Philbin didn’t have the control even Gase has today so I can’t put it all on him.

I’m not giving him a complete pass either. He’s certainly partially to blame for Miami losses. I’m merely adding this perspective because I do believe he learned how to be a better leader through all of it. And, he’ll finish the season strongly in GB; showing that other organization should consider him as a head coach candidate again.

Last edited:
Well, he'll have his second shot to get it right with finishing up the season at GB.
We definitely don't need him back in Miami.

He'll also have a much stronger chance considering who his QB is. Great players have created many job advancement opportunities for coaches.

Philbin wasn't the worst coach in the world, but let's not rewrite history. He was a bad coach and will probably continue to be a bad coach. Biggest problem he has is lack of people skills. He has none whatsoever. Couldn't manage his locker room, couldn't forge good relationships with his players, and couldn't work well within the organizational hierarchy. Stupid drama constantly with Joe, because he has zero emotional intelligence or interpersonal skills.

Say what you want about Gase feuding with Landry, Ajayi and Phillips, but many other players love him. And he successfully navigated Reshad Jones' meltdown in a way that got the player back into the fold with a minimum of drama and -- seemingly -- few hard feelings. And let's be real, watching those three players make fools of themselves immediately in their new cities certainly doesn't hurt Gase's case here.

Philbin wasn't the worst coach in the world, but let's not rewrite history. He was a bad coach and will probably continue to be a bad coach. Biggest problem he has is lack of people skills. He has none whatsoever. Couldn't manage his locker room, couldn't forge good relationships with his players, and couldn't work well within the organizational hierarchy. Stupid drama constantly with Joe, because he has zero emotional intelligence or interpersonal skills.

Say what you want about Gase feuding with Landry, Ajayi and Phillips, but many other players love him. And he successfully navigated Reshad Jones' meltdown in a way that got the player back into the fold with a minimum of drama and -- seemingly -- few hard feelings. And let's be real, watching those three players make fools of themselves immediately in their new cities certainly doesn't hurt Gase's case here.

To add to that, Philbin deflected blame away from himself constantly and was blaming players or stating he had no idea about drama. Gase tends to keep things in house and shield players from criticisms.

Philbin ran off the in house “leaders” after his first season

Back
Top Bottom