Philbin, WCO, 174 lb Tavon Austin.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin, WCO, 174 lb Tavon Austin..

normaldude

Starter
Reaction score
I know that Tavon Austin is an exciting prospect. But he's unusually small for a WR (174 lbs).

Has Philbin ever used a sub-180 lb WR as a starter?

In the past 20 years, has ANY super bowl west coast offense used a sub-180 lb WR as a starter?

Because if Tavon Austin would just be a part-time player for us, I can't see us using a #12 first round pick for him. When you draft a player that high, you want him on the field for nearly every play.

I may be one of few on the board who actually shows concern with Tavon Austin's size. I think it will be a bigger factor in the NFL than it was for him in college. A top 15 pick for him doesn't mesh for me. I'd rather see us draft Eiffert at 12. Or, if the price is right, trade up for Milliner,

With such a glaring hole at T it would be a pretty bold move to take a luxury player IMO. Although extremely explosive I just don't think Ireland would pull the trigger on a player thats not an every down guy.

I may be one of few on the board who actually shows concern with Tavon Austin's size. I think it will be a bigger factor in the NFL than it was for him in college. A top 15 pick for him doesn't mesh for me. I'd rather see us draft Eiffert at 12.

A lot of people will point to DeSean Jackson (175 lb), but he's also a rarity. It seems extremely rare that a sub-180 WR has success as a full-time starter in the NFL. And it virtually never happens on west coast offenses.

There's risks with both Tavon Austin (size) and Ryan Swope (concussion history). And if I'm going to pick a WR that has risk attached, I'd rather pick Ryan Swope with a 2nd round pick, than Tavon Austin with a 1st rd pick (#12 overall).

I may be one of few on the board who actually shows concern with Tavon Austin's size. I think it will be a bigger factor in the NFL than it was for him in college. A top 15 pick for him doesn't mesh for me. I'd rather see us draft Eiffert at 12.

Agree with all of this, especially the Eifert > Austin part.

With such a glaring hole at T it would be a pretty bold move to take a luxury player IMO. Although extremely explosive I just don't think Ireland would pull the trigger on a player thats not an every down guy.

How is it a luxury pick? Outside of Wallace our wrs are nothing special.

Will be a electrifying player. Someone will trade up around 14-18 and grab him I think. He will be worth it. I don't see us taking him though. Would be pretty fun to see him isolated in space because every other option on our team demands attention as well.

Part of me is also a bit bitter about Miami drafting dazzling & exciting 180 lb Ted Ginn Jr with a #9 overall draft pick.

He reminds me a lot of Randall Cobb in what he would bring to the offense. He's got an inch and about 15 pounds on him, I'm sure Tavon could bulk up a tad, and at 5'9 180-185 he would probably be fine in this offense.

I hope we don't draft him. We need to draft other positions, ESPECIALLY in the first round. If we got Austin at #12, I would view that as a wasted pick. But that's just me.

I hope we don't draft him. We need to draft other positions, ESPECIALLY in the first round. If we got Austin at #12, I would view that as a wasted pick. But that's just me.

It all comes down to whether the Dolphins are willing to pass up on a better version of Wes Welker and possibly the most explosive slot WR the league has ever seen. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want that stain on my resume if I was a GM.

Back
Top Bottom