Phillip Merling out for the year, Marcus Spears could be next? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Merling out for the year, Marcus Spears could be next?

I am dying to hear how Merling messed up his Achilles, because according to PFT it was not football related. Talk about having some a bad year. Also the winner in all this is Ryan Baker, first Jason Ferguson retired, now Merling is out. Baker is loaded with talent, but was caught in a numbers game, now he will have a legit chance to make the team and I think he will make it.

Not to go all silver lining here, but this guy could very easily have gotten cut before September even if healthy--now Miami can stash him on IR and play wait & see. When people complain about him being a pregnant-girlfriend beater they'll just say he's rehabbing his ankle and he's getting counseling for his off the field issues. If he's convicted & goes to jail you cut him, and if he gets a slap you re-evaluate his chances to help you next year. Looks like Life put the breaks on things for him for a while, and it's up to him to do something about it. If he's a loser he'll blow the opportunity. I hope he proves he's better than he's been showing lately.

Nubs, I'm not sure if it's common knowledge, but care to share how your obsession with Jurassic Park came about?

Dotson stinks, but McDaniel has real talent, he just doesn't know where he is going half the time; maybe with a year of playing the 5-technique under his belt, McDaniel will be more natural in his roles.

I love Baker's attitude and motor, and now I understand he has bulked up and is getting even stronger, very good news.

Ikaika Allama-Francis is a real mystery. Wasn't he a 2nd round pick?? I think he was playing 4-3 end and had some injury problems if I remember correctly. Maybe he is a better fit in the 3-4 and will be good depth for the Dolphins this year.

If they really do bring in Spears I think they should just move Starks back to end and convert Spears. I have thought Spears would make a good NT for a couple of years. His run stuffing and tackling efficiency are rated pretty high. Spears is never going to bring a pass rush. He tried the drop weight, get quicker thing, last year and he only had 2.5 sacks.

Nubs, I'm not sure if it's common knowledge, but care to share how your obsession with Jurassic Park came about?
I was 8 years old when the first Jurassic Park movie came out in 1993 and I fell in love with that movie from day one. What 8 year old boy doesn't love dinosaurs, right? Till this day, in my opinion, Jurassic Park is one of the best movies ever made and is my personal favorite. While the sequels were not what I really would have hoped for, I still love watching them for the dinosaurs and I am just fascinated with the idea of bringing these animals back with prehistoric DNA. It is just a very cool movie and one I could watch over and over again. The original Star Wars movies were before I was born, so I like to think the Jurassic Park movies were my Star Wars. As a kid I had all the action figures and dinosaurs.

I would love to see them make a Jurassic Park IV, but it sounds like that may not happen or may not happen anytime soon. There has been talk about it but nothing ever really got rolling or greenlighted.

I actually had used the name Nublar7 starting the round the year 2000, which was when Jurassic Park III was filming, so my obsession was kicking back in around that time. Even though Nublar wasn't in The Lost World or Jurassic Park III, it is where it all began. ;)

I personally would be very surprised if the team enters training camp without adding another defensive end. For crying out loud they have only 5 defensive ends on the roster but have 10 receivers.

Lets not forget that with Merling out for the year and Ferguson retiring, the roster now stands at 78 players(I am including Misi and Odrick). So, there are two open spaces they could fill, so realistically, there is room for both Spears and Douglas.

This is a big blow to the defensive line. Now we know that Odrick will be thrown into the fire sooner than we wanted to.

Who do you think realistically they would target? The thinking has to be that whoever they get would just be depth behind Odrick, right?

Douglas seems like the cheaper smarter option, but according to Salguero he this not have the size the like, which I personally think it is BS because the guy has played for Nolan before. Now, after further evaluation it seems like Douglas had a real bad year, especially when he is being replaced by Gholston in New York. As for Spears it seems he starting performing poorly after Parcells left, and the Trifecta know the guy real well. The fact is something needs to be done.

Who do you think realistically they would target? The thinking has to be that whoever they get would just be depth behind Odrick, right?

Yeah that's the problem. The money you pay a Spears and the draft pick you give up for him, points to him being a starter and basically being a drain clog that keeps you from trying out Jared Odrick. I get it if it comes pretty cheap and you can trust Spears on 3-4 base packages then slip in Odrick on nickel downs, but can you get away with that, considering the price tag? On that basis, Douglas might make sense because he might come in with a better idea that he's here to fight his way up and be a little bit of a safeguard in case Odrick isn't getting it.

@calvinwatkins Reports in Miami are that DE Phillip Merling could be done for the season, could you see Dallas shipping Spears to MIA.

calvinwatkins @robi2184 cows might not trade spears unless hatcher or bowen emerge as starters

www.twitter.com/robi2184

Douglas seems like the cheaper smarter option, but according to Salguero he this not have the size the like, which I personally think it is BS because the guy has played for Nolan before. Now, after further evaluation it seems like Douglas had a real bad year, especially when he is being replaced by Gholston in New York. As for Spears it seems he starting performing poorly after Parcells left, and the Trifecta know the guy real well. The fact is something needs to be done.

Meh. I'm not going to believe that kind of circumstantial evidence. I'd have to take a look at what Douglas did for myself and see with my own eyes. The Jets have been stupid about Gholston for years, starting with drafting him.

mel_brooksrobyn_hilton-1.jpg

"Harumph, harumph, harumph!!!"

Back
Top Bottom