Phillip Merling out for the year, Marcus Spears could be next? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Merling out for the year, Marcus Spears could be next?

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Miami Herald has independently confirmed that Phillip Merling is out for the season following an Achilles' injury suffered this week.

The report follows an earlier report by profootballtalk.com that Merling's offseason troubles -- that included an arrest for domestic violence on his pregnant girlfriend -- had grown with an Achilles' injury whose extent was not known.

I have been in contact with a source saying the Dolphins may turn their attention before training camp is over to Dallas defensive end Marcus Spears, a starter who has fallen somewhat out of favor with the Cowboys and whom Bill Parcells drafted in the first round in 2005.

Although Spears finished the season with a career-high 2.5 sacks in 2009, the Cowboys got a lower restricted free agent tender offer than either of his backups. Spears was available in trade just prior to the draft.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#tp#ixzz0uSe22jWn

Sorry mods did not know whether to post it on the other thread or if to make a new thread about it. As for Spears if the prize is right I am for it, but I still say I would rather them go after Marques Douglas who is a free agent.

Last edited by a moderator:
and there it is...good job finatic

i bet spears cost us a 5th round pick...and i bet we go after him

Big blow to the defensive line in my opinion. Merling was not an all Pro, but anytime you lose a projected starter, it is not good news.

We are now thin at defensive end and this forces Odrick into the starting lineup much sooner then the team probably would have liked. The idea of adding Spears is intriguing, but adding him is going to cost the Dolphins draft picks which I don't think will happen. Especially when the original plan was to replace Merling with Odrick down the road.

With Odrick thrown into the starting lineup, Miami needs to add depth and someone like Spears is going to want to start and not be a backup. At least I think that would be the case.

well we could run spears on first and second down and then bring in odrick for the nickle...spears isn't a bad run player to my knowledge but he doesn't do much with the pass rush

if he plans on playing all three downs barring injury i say we pass...he's a rotational guy to me

thanks finatic...i hadn't seen him in years...i grew up and moved away and all but my little brother is best friends with his little brother...

we used to play hoops on his roadside adjustable rim and backboard...and i used to dunk on him...good times we had...

isn't marques douglas really old...or do i have that wrong...not that marcus spears comes to mind as a spring chicken either

Id rather go with one of our own ikka alma francis, baker, Dotson, McDaniels

Back
Top Bottom