Phillip Rivers Retires..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Rivers Retires.....

NYC#1finsfan

Active Roster
Reaction score
After 17 NFL Seasons......."It's Just Time"

"This is the first year I felt like the ending was real. This year felt different".......San Diego Union-Tribune

Another team looking at the #3 Pick????? Or Carson Wentz???

I never thought Rivers was an elite or transcendent talent. I always felt he was just an above average QB. Sure, he had yards and played on a lot of good teams, but the Chargers could never get over the hump to become elite.

I believe he is more defined by the talent that played with him than they were defined by him.

He had the luxury of playing with some really great skill position players. But he could never elevate his team to sustained greatness.

They swung and missed choosing Rivers over Brees. But then again, their choice opened the door to Brees and Payton's unorthodox marriage and coupling of greatness.

We have lamented the Brees/Culpepper saga since it happened. I wonder if we would have been able to build around Brees like Payton or if Payton's path would have steered wildly different without Brees.

Regardless, there was a legendary QB that surfaced from the Rivers/Brees/Culpepper extended saga. But it was the QB who was the after thought of the storyline who ultimately was the prize.

i think they should be in a win now mode with their running game and defense. Def think they should go the Rivers route again....just with a better Rivers...

Def would be thinking Vet for them over high round pick...
Huge splash for Dak, Darnold, Wentz, Goff, Stafford

If they go the likes of Tyrod, Cam, or Jameis in free agency think i could see them trying to trade up for #3

You want to take a big chance. Trubisky has thown 12 tds to only 3 ints in domes the last 2 years and he's 5-1 in those games. they play 10 dome games next year

i think they should be in a win now mode with their running game and defense. Def think they should go the Rivers route again....just with a better Rivers...

Def would be thinking Vet for them over high round pick...
Huge splash for Dak, Darnold, Wentz, Goff, Stafford

If they go the likes of Tyrod, Cam, or Jameis in free agency think i could see them trying to trade up for #3

You want to take a big chance. Trubisky has thown 12 tds to only 3 ints in domes the last 2 years and he's 5-1 in those games. they play 10 dome games next year

Wonder if DW would be interested. Indy has the cap space. Good team so DW should be interested. Compensation is the hurdle.

Wonder if DW would be interested. Indy has the cap space. Good team so DW should be interested. Compensation is the hurdle.

I think Indy is a **** town right? I dunno, I've never been. but just from what i thought i remember players in the past saying. No way they trade within division though. If I'm Texans and I'm trading to the Colts I'm needing a fortune x 2, for starters, you give them Watson, you are almost guaranteeing that all their 1st rounders are going to be in the 20's for the next few years. I think it pushes Colts to the top of the South, but tenn still fighting for QC as long as they have RT/DH/AB

I'm wanting 2 of the 3, Kelly, Leonard, Nelson and some 1sts....could probably let you slide with 1 of those 3 with even more draft capital, you are doing alot I'm wanting to almost exchange ever pick to move up, your 2nd for my 3rd and so on. I know that sounds insane, but elite QB to division foe

I think Indy is a **** town right? I dunno, I've never been. but just from what i thought i remember players in the past saying. No way they trade within division though. If I'm Texans and I'm trading to the Colts I'm needing a fortune x 2, for starters, you give them Watson, you are almost guaranteeing that all their 1st rounders are going to be in the 20's for the next few years. I think it pushes Colts to the top of the South, but tenn still fighting for QC as long as they have RT/DH/AB

I'm wanting 2 of the 3, Kelly, Leonard, Nelson and some 1sts....could probably let you slide with 1 of those 3 with even more draft capital, you are doing alot I'm wanting to almost exchange ever pick to move up, your 2nd for my 3rd and so on. I know that sounds insane, but elite QB to division foe

Yeah, that's why I started out with "Wonder if DW would be interested." Indy not so much

Yeah, that's why I started out with "Wonder if DW would be interested." Indy not so much

gotcha sorry. Thats sort of why i alluded to thinking i heard that Indy was a **** city. It also might not have the culture or marketing potential that he likes.

Kind of like one of the reasons why it was difficult for the Hornets to sign free agents even back in the 90s when they were good. Charlotte wasnt a big market and didnt have the culture. (sorry for using a NBA team, i just know the team history and area)

Its been 2014 since a start player (dqwell jackson) has actually wanted to go to Indy. (not county Phillip cause way past prime)

It's a shame him, Tomlinson and Gates never won a ship together.

Rivers will be coaching a High School team that is 15 minutes away from me. Those kids are lucky to have him!

Congrats on a great career dude, I was never a fan but I also never hated the guy.

I couldn't vote to put him in the HOF though. Manning and Roethlisberger got multiple rings, Drew Brews had all that success elsewhere upon being replaced by Rivers.

I wouldn't put Eli in the HOF either, for the record.

gotcha sorry. Thats sort of why i alluded to thinking i heard that Indy was a **** city. It also might not have the culture or marketing potential that he likes.

Kind of like one of the reasons why it was difficult for the Hornets to sign free agents even back in the 90s when they were good. Charlotte wasnt a big market and didnt have the culture. (sorry for using a NBA team, i just know the team history and area)

Its been 2014 since a start player (dqwell jackson) has actually wanted to go to Indy. (not county Phillip cause way past prime)

I'll be honest. I hadn't considered IND/HOU in the same division. Just noticed Rivers gone, IND's cap, and NOT a NYJ's-like hx. DW's kind of team. Perfect for a win-now team. Again, compensation is a hurdle. Depends on how bad DW wants out and how bad HOU wants him gone

I’ve always like Philip Rivers even back in his NC St days. The weird side arm throwing motion always amazed me that he made it work in the NFL at the highest level.

One of if not the best trash talking QBs of all time and he never cursed while doing it lol. He played with super intensity and aggression and I love that from a QB. I hate that he never got a Super Bowl but his numbers are most definitely HOF worthy.

Maybe the toughest QB to ever play the game. He tore his ACL in that 2nd round divisional playoff game at Indianapolis but stayed in the game and actually won the game for SD. LaDainian Tomlinson also tore his knee up in that game I believe but the next week in the AFC Championship Game at NE Philip Rivers played the entire game on one leg while LT sat on the sideline with a hood over his head. I get the whole tailback vs QB argument and playing on one leg is a lot harder for a tailback but l’ve always felt PR showed tremendous heart and grit for playing the entire game and giving it his all. San Diego came up short but I’ve always felt it was an all time toughness performance by a QB. If nothing else I never doubted PR wanted to win and do it at all costs so he’ll always have the ultimate respect from me.

Meh. Wish him the best. AFC's version of Stafford.

sad part about knocking him. I know its a different era in passing...but look who he's just ahead of in top passing categories
If you dont know marino's stats almost to heart, and you compare the two, you are taking phillips career over marinos

Back
Top Bottom