‘Philm Study’: Miami Dolphins Myles Gaskin EARNED the Starting Job | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘Philm Study’: Miami Dolphins Myles Gaskin EARNED the Starting Job

That not good because they going be daring Tua throw deep this yr as well..
I've been a bit critical of Tua from time to time but they were daring him to throw deep late last year with most of our skill players out/injured, he often took that bet, reared back and threw a 40-50 yarder right on the money that J. Grant promptly dropped. I'm not worried about Tua being able to hit our new weapons, more excited to have guys that will hold onto that ball and make some plays for a change.

I've been a bit critical of Tua from time to time but they were daring him to throw deep late last year with most of our skill players out/injured, he often took that bet, reared back and threw a 40-50 yarder right on the money that J. Grant promptly dropped. I'm not worried about Tua being able to hit our new weapons, more excited to have guys that will hold onto that ball and make some plays for a change.
We will see how it unfold..dont like guess. Like see it on field..I haven't seen enough of Tua to say what going happened w him...Tua is ??? For now...I know he will work hard on field and be best player he can become...

Last edited:

A deep dive into why Myles Gaskin IS Miami’s #1 runner​

My goal with this article is an ambitious one to present the definitive look (or thereabouts) of running back Myles Gaskin. Now, for those of you who aren’t as high on Gaskin as I am, maybe a bunch of history, stats, and tape will change your mind in this ‘Philm Study’. I broke my foot a week or so ago and have had plenty of time on my hands… so if you are into a very deep study, here you go!
Written by M.J.

https://www.phinsnews.com/miami-dol...olphins-myles-gaskin-earned-the-starting-job/

Im tired of the Gaskin crap in this forum. He had the most all purpose offensive yards last season. Maybe the problem isn't him, but our offensive's line weak run blocking. The only lineman in our line that ranked above average run blocking was Robert Hunt. Everyone else fell flat in that category. If the coaching staff didn't bother drafting one is for good reasons that they feel are justifiable. And with all of those saying "we don't need a flashy rb", and etc. I get it, you guys are trying to be neutral but you need a playmaker at any position. If your RB can't catch that pass in a crucial third down, or if he can't make a split second decision to burst through the line then their play is judged on that attribute alone. Thankfully Gaskin has proven to be very useful as he made contributions outside of the running game.

A couple things pointed out in that article were good;

First contact at 2 yards, that's pretty bad but it's not all on the O'line. Our running plays were fairly obvious, defenses knew Tua wasn't going to tuck and run very often so they could key in on the backs resulting in contact at 2 yards which was at the bottom of the list.

Gaskins getting 2.1 after first contact is right up there with the likes of Ezekial Elliot. Imagine if first contact was just a yard longer at 3 yards, Gaskins YPC could very easily have went over 5.0 yds. I can certainly live with that....

Tua getting better with disguising the run, defenses now have to be deeply concerned with our speed and the O'line coming together I can believe that first contact could be pushed off to a 3 Yd average. Gaskins may not be elite but he will be much better than just good...

I believe 1200 all purpose is very realistic.
You get the O-line squared away and it is very realistic. There wasn't many "gaping holes" this past year and when Ahmed filled in when Gaskins was out it was clear that Gaskins picked up more yards after contact.

Teams were daring Tua to throw.
Forget about RB in high round or signing a vet RB, if Tua does not improve, i don't care who we get.
So if Tua improves but our line, receivers and running game stay the same as last season then we should be good?

Gaskin’s 2.7 YPC inside the red one is .1 shy of what Derrick Henry provided at 2.8

So if Tua improves but our line, receivers and running game stay the same as last season then we should be good?
Over all, yes. Improve is the correct word.
Football 101.
Free lesson, if Tua improve, then defense cannot stack the box, thus run game will improve. Even my 12 years old son knows that.

Over all, yes. Improve is the correct word.
Football 101.
I'll disagree with this and I think the front office does as well.
If it's the case where only an improvement to the QB position is required then during FA and draft we would focus on defense for the most part.
If the QB position needed vast improvement then it may be a case where they move on from Tua similar to what the Cardinals did with Rosen.

Based on FA and draft, it was understood that the receiving unit and OL units needed to be addressed.
I think they decided the RB unit was fine and that better OL and even a better blocking TE may also help that area.

I think they also expect improvements from the OL to help the above.

Tua improving and everything else staying the same does not make sense to me because if your OL cannot protect, if you have no running game and if your receivers are playing poor it won't matter.
If Tua can somehow protect himself from the defense on his own, catch his own passes and play running back then sure, but that's not feasible.
Does he need to improve? sure, it's actually expected but we can't pretend that the rest of the offense is fine and simply improvement in the QB position will suffice.

I'll disagree with this and I think the front office does as well.
If it's the case where only an improvement to the QB position is required then during FA and draft we would focus on defense for the most part.
If the QB position needed vast improvement then it may be a case where they move on from Tua similar to what the Cardinals did with Rosen.

Based on FA and draft, it was understood that the receiving unit and OL units needed to be addressed.
I think they decided the RB unit was fine and that better OL and even a better blocking TE may also help that area.

I think they also expect improvements from the OL to help the above.

Tua improving and everything else staying the same does not make sense to me because if your OL cannot protect, if you have no running game and if your receivers are playing poor it won't matter.
If Tua can somehow protect himself from the defense on his own, catch his own passes and play running back then sure, but that's not feasible.
Does he need to improve? sure, it's actually expected but we can't pretend that the rest of the offense is fine and simply improvement in the QB position will suffice.
This whole arguement is a bit absurd.

If any aspect is "better" then it logically follows that the sum of the parts should also be better. Does it not?

However, that statement is in a vacuum, and is not really applicable to a "real world" situation.

Surely you both realize that improvement from any unit affects the others in a positive way as well?

It is a team sport, and it takes a complete team to compete with other complete teams. This either/or nonsense is purely theoretical, and though it may be fun to have the discussion from a "debate" perspective, it doesn't really mean much.

This whole arguement is a bit absurd.

If any aspect is "better" then it logically follows that the sum of the parts should also be better. Does it not?

However, that statement is in a vacuum, and is not really applicable to a "real world" situation.

Surely you both realize that improvement from any unit affects the others in a positive way as well?

It is a team sport, and it takes a complete team to compete with other complete teams. This either/or nonsense is purely theoretical, and though it may be fun to have the discussion from a "debate" perspective, it doesn't really mean much.
That's actually the point I'm trying to make here.
Football is the ultimate team sport, it's an interconnected system and simply stating 1 player improving will fix an offense does not make sense.

I thought my point was clear on that.

That's actually the point I'm trying to make here.
Football is the ultimate team sport, it's an interconnected system and simply stating 1 player improving will fix an offense does not make sense.

I thought my point was clear on that.
You did start out that way. Then it kind of degenerated........lol

Back
Top Bottom