Phins That Trancend Eras | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phins That Trancend Eras

Big name that is missing from this talk....SUH.

In previous eras where penalty flags flew way less, roughing the passer was allowed, and nastiness was sought after, Suh would have been a monster.

A debate in another thread has started me thinking about Dolphin players who would have been successful irrespective of the time in which they played.

Dan is an obvious choice. Who knows what kind of numbers he would have posted today.

I dont think it's a stretch to say 6500 yds, and 55-60 tds would be a regular occurance.

I believe Jason Taylor could have played at any time, as well.

Any others?

Still love this video. Eisen asking Dan how many yards he could throw for now a days. Marino calling out 6,000. The video cuts off just as Irvin begins to talk, but I remember him saying he REALLY wanted to play for Marino back in the day and how devastating the Mark brothers were with him. Got a ton of love from Irvin. Pretty impressive considering he had a HOF QB already throwing to him.

Marino on the Dan Patrick show saying he could throw 60 TDs now a days.

Still love this video. Eisen asking Dan how many yards he could throw for now a days. Marino calling out 6,000. The video cuts off just as Irvin begins to talk, but I remember him saying he REALLY wanted to play for Marino back in the day and how devastating the Mark brothers were with him. Got a ton of love from Irvin. Pretty impressive considering he had a HOF QB already throwing to him.

Marino on the Dan Patrick show saying he could throw 60 TDs now a days.

Irvin knows what’s up. Aikman is in the Hall because of that team, not because he was anything special. Chad Pennington gets 2-3 rings on that team.

Dan is an obvious choice. Who knows what kind of numbers he would have posted today.

I dont think it's a stretch to say 6500 yds, and 55-60 tds would be a regular occurance.

That is miles beyond idiotic. In 4 of the past 5 seasons the NFL leader has had 40 touchdown passes or fewer, yet you're giving Marino 55-60 on a regular basis.

There has never been anybody at 5500 yards and only 10-12 examples above 5000, yet you take it nearly 20% higher than 5500 to 6500. I wish I could say that's the extreme but we've had geniuses here assigning 7000 for Marino.

I don't understand how it's possible to be so clueless toward situational impact and raw normalcy. Because that is what at issue here. It is not a debate. There is no debate when every game is somehow projected to the extreme. In all 16 games Marino will apparently throw for 400 yards and 3-4 touchdown passes in a vacuum. There will never be a game when the opponent has an inept offense and Miami merely runs the ball and relies on defense, enabling a snooze victory with 200 yards passing or less. There will never be a game when the opposing defense simply overpowers the Dolphins offense line, forcing Marino to throw all day but not nearly as successfully as the norm. There will never be a game when the weather intervenes and sideways wind hampers the passing game. There will never be a game with injured wide receivers, or dropped passes. There will never be a game in which the team has either already locked up a playoff spot, or is out of the playoffs, causing a less than intense effort. No opponent will strategically decide to counter the 6500 average by running the ball and eating the clock, lessening the number of possessions. No, that will never occur to anyone.

I could keep going. There are countless factors that regulate offensive statistics, like a game in which your own defense and kicking game keep causing big plays, enabling you to take over at midfield or in opponent's territory. Stats don't happen even if the offense is clicking. Touchdown passes don't happen if your running backs bust it deep into the end zone, like several Dolphin examples in recent seasons. But none of that ever occurs to the Happy Marino Adjusters. Everything is up, up, and away. We'll start at our 10 and march unencumbered down the field. Then the defense will quickly absorb the ball so we can do it again. We want opponents to punt 75 yards so Marino can simply launch a longer drive.

It is a sad way to think. It has become one of the way I evaluate posters here and on other Dolphin forums. That may not be appreciated but it is proper.

As I posted the other day, the long-ago quarterbacks who would benefit most from the current rules changes are the smart accurate efficient ones who were on run-oriented teams decades ago, but every bit capable of throwing the ball effectively if needed more often. With those guys you don't need preposterous adjustments that make no mathematical sense, and take it far into NFL Never-Never Land. You merely need logical uptick in their numbers corresponding to the overall league rise in yards per attempt and passer rating and everything else from that era to this era. The league has become more friendly to quarterbacks, especially compared to ones whose prime was prior to 1978, yet somehow we want to freeze those guys where they were and stupidly pretend they couldn't compete nowadays, simultaneous with taking Marino's numbers anywhere we want them to be.

It reminds me of the Tannehill stuff here throughout his career, when we'd isolate certain string of games and claim Top 10 level, while never doing the same with any other quarterback. We want Tannehill's best sampling but every other quarterback isn't entitled to that. They only get the full bottom line.

I realize I should not participate during the offseason. Every time I show up there is a nonsense thread that I simply do not respect.

Last edited:
That is miles beyond idiotic. In 4 of the past 5 seasons the NFL leader has had 40 touchdown passes or fewer, yet you're giving Marino 55-60 on a regular basis.

There has never been anybody at 5500 yards and only 10-12 examples above 5000, yet you take it nearly 20% higher than 5500 to 6500. I wish I could say that's the extreme but we've had geniuses here assigning 7000 for Marino.

I don't understand how it's possible to be so clueless toward situational impact and raw normalcy. Because that is what at issue here. It is not a debate. There is no debate when every game is somehow projected to the extreme. In all 16 games Marino will apparently throw for 400 yards and 3-4 touchdown passes in a vacuum. There will never be a game when the opponent has an inept offense and Miami merely runs the ball and relies on defense, enabling a snooze victory with 200 yards passing or less. There will never be a game when the opposing defense simply overpowers the Dolphins offense line, forcing Marino to throw all day but not nearly as successfully as the norm. There will never be a game when the weather intervenes and sideways wind hampers the passing game. There will never be a game with injured wide receivers, or dropped passes. There will never be a game in which the team has either already locked up a playoff spot, or is out of the playoffs, causing a less than intense effort. No opponent will strategically decide to counter the 6500 average by running the ball and eating the clock, lessening the number of possessions. No, that will never occur to anyone.

I could keep going. There are countless factors that regulate offensive statistics, like a game in which your own defense and kicking game keep causing big plays, enabling you to take over at midfield or in opponent's territory. Stats don't happen even if the offense is clicking. Touchdown passes don't happen if your running backs bust it deep into the end zone, like several Dolphin examples in recent seasons. But none of that ever occurs to the Happy Marino Adjusters. Everything is up, up, and away. We'll start at our 10 and march unencumbered down the field. Then the defense will quickly absorb the ball so we can do it again. We want opponents to punt 75 yards so Marino can simply launch a longer drive.

It is a sad way to think. It has become one of the way I evaluate posters here and on other Dolphin forums. That may not be appreciated but it is proper.

As I posted the other day, the long-ago quarterbacks who would benefit most from the current rules changes are the smart accurate efficient ones who were on run-oriented teams decades ago, but every bit capable of throwing the ball effectively if needed more often. With those guys you don't need preposterous adjustments that make no mathematical sense, and take it far into NFL Never-Never Land. You merely need logical uptick in their numbers corresponding to the overall league rise in yards per attempt and passer rating and everything else from that era to this era. The league has become more friendly to quarterbacks, especially compared to ones whose prime was prior to 1978, yet somehow we want to freeze those guys where they were and stupidly pretend they couldn't compete nowadays, simultaneous with taking Marino's numbers anywhere we want them to be.

It reminds me of the Tannehill stuff here throughout his career, when we'd isolate certain string of games and claim Top 10 level, while never doing the same with any other quarterback. We want Tannehill's best sampling but every other quarterback isn't entitled to that. They only get the full bottom line.

I realize I should not participate during the offseason. Every time I show up there is a nonsense thread that I simply do not respect.

You really, really should have dismissed the first sentence, because everything after that made me like the last two sentences better than anything else you wrote.

It's a message board, not a football statistics symposium. Try being nice.

Keith Jackson was a stud.
The TE players that can block and beat the secondary with speed will never go out of style.

Back
Top Bottom