Phins Truly Sticking With Fiedler | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phins Truly Sticking With Fiedler

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you wondered if privately there might be some dissension inside the ranks of the Dolphins coaching staff regarding Fiedler. I mean there's a lot of wildcards there. We probably know where Dave stands. But we may or may not know privately where Norv Turner stands, especially in the wake of those radio station rumors of Brad Johnson being traded to Miami for draft picks (which I'm sure have a much bigger chance of being false than true). But Pro Football Talk came out with this...

POSTED 9:10 a.m. EDT, August 17, 2002 (SATURDAY)

FINS TRULY STICKING WITH FIEDLER

A league source tells us that there is no conflict between the Miami Dolphins' public statements regarding quarterback Jay Fiedler and their private feelings regarding his status with the team.

According the source, the Dolphins attribute Fielder's shaky pre-season performances to "rust," and that there is no quarterback controversy brewing between Fielder and backup Ray Lucas.

For confirmation of the fact that Fielder is the guy, look no farther than the big-money contract extension he signed early in the off-season. The move came at a time when rumors were flying that Troy Aikman might come out of retirement to join offensive coordinator Norv Turner. When Fielder signed the deal, his role as the unquestioned starter was cemented.

The source also tells us that the front office believes that pre-season games are vastly overrated in terms of gauging a starter's performance in the regular season.

"We have a guy that has won 22 games here in two years and has hip surgery and is back one week," coach Dave Wannstedt said on Friday, according to the Miami Herald. "He doesn't play well in a quarter and a half of a preseason game. It is a little bit out of perspective at that point.''

I think this is a bit refreshing to have confirmation that everyone is on the same page within the organization.

You never know. There have been rumors circulating about the Dolphins pickup up this QB or another ever since Norv Turner got to Miami. Anything that these "rumor" sites have reported has usually been connected with that, us possibly trading for Brad Johnson or us trying to woo Troy Aikman out of retirement. Now the rumor site is reporting that everyone in the Phins organization is on the same page and none are doubting Fiedler. Very refreshing when you've got a half dozen other organizations that are privately disagreeing with each other about this player or that.

Originally posted by Ducken
And what gave you the impression that they were not on the same page?

People were talking about a trade for the Bucs Brad Johnson. The rumor mill had gotten pretty high on that one.

After hearing about Wannstedt's previous problems with QB controversies, he might have ordered the organization to put out that rumor. Doesn't he hire people so there will be no dissent on the staff ??

No way, Merman......it has to be true......if it wasn't, and the coaching staff were actually thinking of replacing Fiedler, based on one preseason game, they would be bigger idiots than anyone in here who wants Jay demoted. There is too much to lose, as far as credibility goes, for Wannstedt or the orginazation,to even CONSIDER not keeping Fiedler as the starter. What I mean is, he didn't have to put this rumor out because I bet there isn't one person in the orginization who even has a thought about benching Jay.

And that is the way it should be....

it is impossible for us to trade for Brad Johnson. we dont have the money under our cap to fit him and Tampa Bay doesnt want to take a cap hit. whoever started that rumor failed to understand the whole salary cap structure in this league.

Thats not true Joesmo. If you followed our salary cap situation you'd find that we have more than enough to fit Brad Johnson's current salary underneath our salary cap. Also his signing bonus with Tampa Bay was not overly big, so the Bucs would definitely take a loss by getting rid of him, but a loss they can afford and theoretically they'd get draft picks in return so it might be worth it for the sake of letting everyone know that Rob Johnson is their man...theoretically.

And I just wanna add something in about any possible dissent in the organization or the locker room. Not that I'm defending any possible doubts of Jay Fiedler, but it is totally not fair to say that any disagreement on Fiedler as our starter is a result of "one preseason game" 99.9% of whatever dissenting opinion about Jay Fiedler was made up BEFORE that preseason game and lets be truly honest from a production standpoint Fiedler has not done a whole lot to make us think he's a top tier quarterback, and coaches always WANT a top tiered quarterback so some of them may or may not feel that we ought to dump our mediocre QB and start searching for a top tiered guy even if it means cycling through some real sh!tty guys first. I'm not defending the logic in this, but its totally not fair to brand any fiedler-criticizers as making their decision based on "one preseason game" because in actuality they are making their decision based on 40 interceptions in a 2 year period, using the preseason game as a mere example of what they are talking about.

Salary Cap or not, The Fins can't trade any picks in the first 3 rounds of next years draft without first reworking the trade they made with the Saints. In order to do that they would actually have to offer the Saints more then they originally did. The end result would be not only the pick they gave TB but also whatever extra it would cost to rework the Saint deal.

IMO Brad Johnson would in no way be worth what it would end up costing the Fins.

Phins Truly Sticking w/ JF.....if he keeps playing like the way he did....I hope so:lol:

Who knew you were?

... a Dolphins fan? God knows Jay owns the Bills ass.

Oliver...

Originally posted by justafan
Phins Truly Sticking w/ JF.....if he keeps playing like the way he did....I hope so:lol:

Back
Top Bottom