Phinz Not Finished On DL??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phinz Not Finished On DL???

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Reaction score
Pro Football Talk has said that the Phinz are now entering the pursuit of DT J. Evans, and DE J. Williams.....

The Titans and Jets are interested in J. Evans. His re-instatement has fueled serious interest from them, as well as Miami.

DE J. Williams could be available as well. The Phinz are interested in both....

This is not good news on the D. Gardener front. It looks as if we may end up releasing him....It's all in the rumor mill, and PFT isn't the most reliable source in the NFL. Who really is though??

They've been wrong plenty of times in the past, but at the same time, they've been right at times as well.....

I don't like what's been going on with DG. I had very high expectations for him this year at DE. Losing him would be a blow to this DL.....

PHINZ RULE!!!

i dont buy it...we have enough depth on the dl...its not like those guys are better than any of the guys we have...also we dont have the cap room...we still have to sign our draft picks...

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
Pro Football Talk has said that the Phinz are now entering the pursuit of DT J. Evans, and DE J. Williams.....

The Titans and Jets are interested in J. Evans. His re-instatement has fueled serious interest from them, as well as Miami.

DE J. Williams could be available as well. The Phinz are interested in both....

This is not good news on the D. Gardener front. It looks as if we may end up releasing him....It's all in the rumor mill, and PFT isn't the most reliable source in the NFL. Who really is though??

They've been wrong plenty of times in the past, but at the same time, they've been right at times as well.....

I don't like what's been going on with DG. I had very high expectations for him this year at DE. Losing him would be a blow to this DL.....

PHINZ RULE!!!

The Dolphins are currently pursuing a number of positions. But you can bet that Defensive Lineman are at the back of the pack, though they sure would LOOK INTO IT! There looking more towards signing a possible veteran Qb, a Cornerback, a Safety, and a quality back-up Lb.

By the way take J Evans off that list because the Bengals signed him to a three year deal yesterday......

Where did you see that?? Last I saw, the Bengals were talking to Sam Adams and the Jets were talking to Josh Evans.

Ya this sucks, DG has to stay at least for this year,just to prove that he is really back, as for Evans I dont think this guy is as good as people say he is it was just a case of an average guy on a good team......
in the end, DG does not = Evans, J.Williams

Originally posted by Muck
Where did you see that?? Last I saw, the Bengals were talking to Sam Adams and the Jets were talking to Josh Evans.

Ups!!! A little reading comp. and I might have seen that they signed their ROOKIE DE J. Evans to a three year deal.........

Bengals | Contract Terms: Evans - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
13:57 PT: Updating an earlier story, the Cincinnati Post reports the three-year contract signed by rookie DE Joey Evans with the Cincinnati Bengals is valued at about $943,000. It included minimum base salaries of $225,000 in 2002, $300,000 in 2003 and $380,000 in 2004 and a signing bonus of more than $38,000.

MY BAD~~

I couldn't day adding another DE or DT would be bad, but unlikely yes. We have quality depth at DT, and as long as DG is healthy our DE looks good as well. The only postion I think could use some help is at LB. Depending on how Greenwood looks in preseason we could possibly use a starter at OLB, but we definitly need depth at LB. If any of our starters go down we are in trouble.

I just hope the Jets don't sign Evans.

To be completely honest with you, Daryl Gardener playing at defensive end is worth nowhere near the same money as Daryl Gardener playing at defensive tackle. And if DG just plain isn't healthy enough to play DT anymore, then in all honesty it might be better if we cut him loose while we've got the opportunity to sign guys for a couple of years that could play at a higher level.

I don't know about you guys but I want DG on the d-line on running plays no matter where he lines up. It is to late in the off season now to be looking for a force as devastating as a healthy DG. He is constantly in the backfeild when facing the double teams of the G and C, so I think he will be even more menacing when only haveing to deal with the RT. His health is a major concern, but at this point in the offseason giving it 1 more year is the only way to go. How about leaving him on the bench untill week 9, so we can assure he will be there at playoff time? I know that is a crazy idea, but I think it would work.

DG will still face double teams at end......the RT and TE would be assigned to block DG as I believe that he will be as much a force at DE as he was at DT. TE and RT are not as tough to face as RG and C. Here's hoping that DG is healthy and stays healthy all season and through out the playoffs.

I certainly hope he pulls it off(the health and performance), but if he dont he might as well go play for the bills...or just play for our offensive line!!!!

Honestly I think there's some strange opinions on the dynamics of playing the different positions on the defensive line on this board. It would seem that everyone is taking it for granted that just cuz DG is a force at DT he can be just as devastating if not more at DE just because the guys he's "going against" are not as strong.

In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. Defensive end is a completely new position that requires about 5x the speed that defensive tackle does. It doesn't matter how much weaker the typical RT is than the typical RG and C, because its a different position in relation to the ball and more importantly the quarterback as well as any runningback taking a handoff. DT is a central position, any play up the middle lies within the range of both DTs. This is simply not the case at LDE. A run behind the LG is NOT WITHIN THE LDE'S RANGE. Neither is a run behind LT, or even a run over Center really depending on what defensive play call we've got goin whether it be a middle rush or outside rush. The change in position in relation to the quarterback is huge. With a DE you can basically either try to bullrush, speedrush on the outside, use a swim move, or try to go out then in using a club move like Reggie use to do. Forget about a Daryl Gardener outside speedrush. Such a move is non-existent. Basically the only thing DG would have in his arsenal is a swim or bullrush and a RT is better prepared to handle a bullrush than a Guard because of the positioning.

To listen to the people talk on here you would think every team with a pretty good DT would throw him in at DE so that they can get 16 sacks a season out of their DE position.

My early vote for Defensive Player Of The Year is Darryl "I'm The Modern Gladiator" Gardner.

That would really be awesome actually. One thing that would be really cool if it happened is Chester getting a small injury and having DG step in for him and then Chester coming back but DG holding onto the job and playing it for the whole year while Chester spells him out on run downs.

Throw in David Bowens becoming the next Jason Taylor and well....

Back
Top Bottom