Pick Mike Williams, Period | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pick Mike Williams, Period

13 replies and I still haven't heard a reason not to take him.

After much thought, i have decided that if we don't take smith with the second I want williams with that pick or our first pick after a trade down, if he was there. I don't know i just got this feeling that this dude is going to be a primetime player in the big leagues.....im not getting the same kind of vibe with any one else...not even edwards or any of the running backs.

I wouldn't mind smith with the second as well but he is more of a chance than williams imo.....I like smith because he seems to have what i have been waiting for in a qb.....VERY GOOD DECISION MAKING SKILLS, also he is a legit threat to run.

I guess i am just down to two players now that i want with the #2 smith or williams and I can't decide.......can some help me????

P.S I know smith is more of a pick that will be used in the future and williams is a pick that can contribute right away(imo) but that still doesn't help me cause i don't know how feeley will do this year since he has had time to get adjusted and hopefully will have a much improved o-line to be behind.

TheBostonBomber said:
After much thought, i have decided that if we don't take smith with the second I want williams with that pick or our first pick after a trade down, if he was there. I don't know i just got this feeling that this dude is going to be a primetime player in the big leagues.....im not getting the same kind of vibe with any one else...not even edwards or any of the running backs.
This is my feeling exactly. I think Williams has the talent, the physical characteristics, and the mentality to take games over at the NFL level, similar to Terrell Owens.

Let's put it this way -- if you were an NFL QB, who would you want your team to draft in the top-5 this year? If I'm an NFL QB I want 6'5" 230-pound Mike Williams stationed out there on my offense. I'm not feeling that way about Ronnie Brown or any other player. I think all of the other players have replicas of themselves in the draft -- Brown has Benson, Rodgers has Smith, Edwards has Williamson (arguably). Mike Williams is unmatched.

The only receiver worth a #2 pick is Braylon Edwards...sorry but Mike Williams is more like a #5-#10 pick given that he did not play this past year. Hopefully we will take Ronnie Brown with our 2nd pick or trade it down...I would be okay with us taking Williams later on but NOT with the #2 pick.

shouright said:
This is my feeling exactly. I think Williams has the talent, the physical characteristics, and the mentality to take games over at the NFL level, similar to Terrell Owens.

Let's put it this way -- if you were an NFL QB, who would you want your team to draft in the top-5 this year? If I'm an NFL QB I want 6'5" 230-pound Mike Williams stationed out there on my offense. I'm not feeling that way about Ronnie Brown or any other player. I think all of the other players have replicas of themselves in the draft -- Brown has Benson, Rodgers has Smith, Edwards has Williamson (arguably). Mike Williams is unmatched.

You see Terrell Owens, I see Keyshawn Johnson - a good possession and red zone receiver. That may be the best we can get at the #2 spot this year, although I think Edwards has a better chance to be spectacular if he isn't a bust. I'm alright with Brown or Caddy at RB also.

With Mike Williams I see Keyshawn Johnson's speed and route running, Randy Moss' hands and jump ball ability, and Terrell Owens' strength and body.

we have needs elsewhere

Can't give a reason not to take him other than we have more important needs on both sides of the ball.

rtwelve said:
Can't give a reason not to take him other than we have more important needs on both sides of the ball.
So then I think you have to ask yourself, "are we rebuilding, or not," because a team that's rebuilding doesn't draft for need. Teams that are one or two pieces of the puzzle away draft for need. And what I'm saying is that Williams is the BPA in the entire draft and probably the safest pick too.

Some of this is pure Monty Python

KB21 said:
Mike Williams would have gone around the 12th-15th picks last year. Somehow, he has actually improved his stock by not playing in the mind of some of you.

You can write that every day and it will be innacurate every day.

I mean, just look at the inverse of your argument. It shoots you down pronto and hysterical. THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE AS A WHOLE IS PREPARED TO TAKE MIKE WILLIAMS IN THE TOP TEN THIS YEAR. There is almost no chance he will fall below that. Presumably, the NFL team that selects Williams will remember/understand he did not play last year.

So you're telling us the NFL BELIEVES HE HAS IMPROVED HIS STOCK BY NOT PLAYING. That's if we accept your two obscene arguments, that Williams would not have gone in the Top 10 last year yet somehow "there is more talent in the top 10 this year than there was last year."

That's the most blatant Lost In Space "That Does Not Compute" since I joined this forum.

Come on, I'm all for diversity of opinion. If you don't like Mike Williams then pick apart his game. I'm more than willing to detail the mediocre instincts and elusiveness of a Ronnie Brown, regardless of his shuttle run times.

FINSItalia said:
You see Terrell Owens, I see Keyshawn Johnson - a good possession and red zone receiver.
I think you'll find some things that distinguish him from Keyshawn Johnson in here:

Despite playing only one season with Mike, former USC quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Carson Palmer had this to say about his former teammate, "Mike is a tremendous talent. He's real mature and the type of guy that makes quarterbacks look real good. I know that all I had to do was put it (the ball) up there and he was going to go get it."
Analysis: Positives...Tall, long-limbed with a well-developed, muscular frame, good bubble, tight waist and thick thighs and calves...Well-liked, mature player with a team-first attitude, but will not hesitate to ask for the ball in crucial situations...Shows a quick thrust off the line to challenge defensive backs and keep pressure on the secondary...Smooth and efficient in his release, using his long arms and strength to quickly defeat the press, driving hard with his legs to beat the jam...Runs tight upfield routes and does a nice job of using swim moves and a stutter-step to shake off the cornerbacks working in the short area...Has outstanding field vision, doing a great job of finding the sideline and adjusting his body to keep his feet in bounds...Gets good depth through his routes and quickly recognizes the coverage working in the zone...Has good hip-sink agility that allows him to get good quickness coming out of his breaks...His vertical speed and size poses match-up problems for the smaller defensive backs...Can uncover and position his big body and use his long arms to make the plays on underneath routes...Knows how to set up the cornerback with his head fakes and change of direction agility on short routes...Outstanding hands catcher who uses his height advantage and long arms to fight for the ball in traffic...Has the stride needed to get to the long ball in a hurry, showing a smooth burst and crisp body adjustments combined with top-end speed to get deep...Able to run, adjust and jump for the ball in a crowd (especially effective adjusting to the ball over his shoulder, but also excels at the high, low and behind tosses)...Has some wiggle and good strength to drive through arm tackles, finding the crease with his stop-&-go action to take the ball to the house.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2004draft/Williams,Mike-WR-SouthernCalifornia.htm

Awsi Dooger said:
You can write that every day and it will be innacurate every day.

I mean, just look at the inverse of your argument. It shoots you down pronto and hysterical. THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE AS A WHOLE IS PREPARED TO TAKE MIKE WILLIAMS IN THE TOP TEN THIS YEAR. There is almost no chance he will fall below that. Presumably, the NFL team that selects Williams will remember/understand he did not play last year.

So you're telling us the NFL BELIEVES HE HAS IMPROVED HIS STOCK BY NOT PLAYING. That's if we accept your two obscene arguments, that Williams would not have gone in the Top 10 last year yet somehow "there is more talent in the top 10 this year than there was last year."

That's the most blatant Lost In Space "That Does Not Compute" since I joined this forum.

Come on, I'm all for diversity of opinion. If you don't like Mike Williams then pick apart his game. I'm more than willing to detail the mediocre instincts and elusiveness of a Ronnie Brown, regardless of his shuttle run times.

I don't know whose argument I am supporting, but off ESPN here is Pasquarelli's dish on Mike Williams

The dish: One of the great ironies of this draft is that Williams will go off the board higher in 2005, certainly among the top 10, than if he had been ruled eligible for the 2004 lottery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&page=wr_ratings

and Clayton also had a long article about how Williams improved his draft position this year by working with Chris Carter to improve his speed.

I say Braylon

# Name College Height Weight 40 Time

Braylon Edwards Michigan 6-2 and 7/8 211 4.48
Mike Williams USC 6-4 and 5/8 229 4.59 (he also ran a 4.6 last year when he was in top form so no 'he had a year off' excuses)

Braylon
Difference in height: 1 3/4 inches shorter
Difference in weight: 18 lbs leighter
Difference in time: .11 seconds faster

Remember....they're all young and their metabolism is going to slow down. That weight that is hard for him to keep down?...it isn't going to get any easier. It's a lot easier to add 15 lbs then to constantly maintain a low weight when your body wants to weigh more. He may start off at WR but I'll bet you see him at TE in the future. We've already got McMichael and I think Braylon's the better receiver anyways. Just my opinion.

[edit] Another thing....Williams only has 1 1/2 years of experience. Braylon gave up the opportunity to go to the NFL last year to return for his senior season. That shows dedication to his team and school while sacrificing money (potentially alot if injured) and in light of the Ricky situation his loyalty to his team and unselfishness sits well with me. [/edit]

From ESPN Insider (an abbreviated summary from Scouts Inc.):

Overall: Edwards' father, Stanley, played at Michigan and in the NFL with the Oilers and Lions. Braylon played in just six games as a freshman but had a breakout season as a sophomore in 2002 with 67 receptions for 1,035 yards and 10 touchdowns. He improved on those numbers as a junior in '03 (85-1,138-14), made a surprising decision to return to school for his senior season, and led the Big Ten with 87 receptions for 1,221 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2004. Edwards has always possessed rare physical tools and had flashed elite potential prior to 2004, but he finally took his game to the next level as a senior. In doing so, Edwards has solidified a spot early in the first round. In our opinion, Edwards is the best receiver in this year's draft class and is worth selecting in the top-five picks  if not No. 1 ... For complete overview, strengths and weaknesses, login above or become an Insider.

Give me Edwards !

Gotta' love the physical attributes Williams brings to the game, and if the Fins had the opportunity to grab him at the 2nd overall pick in the 2004 draft I'd do it in a heartbeat. Only thing that brings any doubt is the fact that he hasn't played in a year. Given that, gotta' take the best player at his position: Braylon Edwards .

Back
Top Bottom