Pick Mike Williams, Period | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pick Mike Williams, Period

KB21 said:
The talent level is not lower this year. There is more talent in the top 10 this year than there was last year. The running backs are tons better than the best the draft had to offer last year. Braylon Edwards is on par with Larry Fitzgerald as a wide receiver prospect. The defensive ends in this draft are very deep, and the corners are better than what was available last year.

I agree with you. The only difference is the QB's are not hyped as much. Manning and Roethlisberger are the only 2 differences. Rivers is on par with Rodgers and Smith. He wasnt even highly regarded until the Senior Bowl, if I recall.

Rivers broke multiple NCAA records as a QB passing for 4,400+ yards w/a completion of 72%, threw 120+ passes w/out an INT, etc. while on a not-so-great team. At the time, I personally thought he was the best QB to be drafted but some wanted 'Eli' simply due to genetics. Big Ben is a good QB as well, not knocking him either. I have the feeling that Rivers is the Marino of last year's draft due to his uncanny unloading of the ball.

I don't know much in the way of college prospects. But this much I do know about a particular prospect.

Rushing totals:
2004 - 1834 yards
2003 - 1360 yards
2002 - 1293 yards
2001 - 1090 yards

It's very difficult for me to imagine one player available who warrants a higher draft pick than this guy.

EightyTwenty said:
What exactly are you basing your opinion on? Why do you say that last years players were 'franchise' players, and this years aren't? I hope your reasoning is more scientific than "because that's what the guys on the NFL network and ESPN are saying..."

The top ten from last year is better than the top ten projected this year, but the overall draft is deeper and stronger this year than the last several years. That opinion is that of the majority of the draftniks. The overall class of QB, for example is better this year...Obviously the top 2 guys this year fit in after the top 3 from last year, but the depth is much better into the projected second and 3rd rounds this year than last. The same with RBs...and OL other than LTs. The issue is that the quality of the top 4-5 elite players is less than that of most years.

I think this is one of the best threads in a week. The way I see it Coach Saban has to decide; improvement in which one of three positions will best help the team. The QB position is the biggest crap shoot IMO, and a pick here may or may not improve what we have. RB and WR both have premier choices and would immediatly impact our starting lineup. I wonder who Feeley would choose. Knowing that you can line up in a two tight end alignment on 3rd and 3 1/2 with 8 men in the box and win a first down with 5 yard run can be powerfull. There are three RB's that could do that for us. Same situation, same lineup, two step drop to a quick slant by Williams or Edwards might go to the house. Tough choices, but at least we have some good options and we are not forced to pick some scrub as our very fist pick. The bottom line is that I won't be making the choice and neither will you. I want to start debating the picks we do take.... cmon draft !

LarryFinFan said:
The top ten from last year is better than the top ten projected this year, but the overall draft is deeper and stronger this year than the last several years. That opinion is that of the majority of the draftniks. The overall class of QB, for example is better this year...Obviously the top 2 guys this year fit in after the top 3 from last year, but the depth is much better into the projected second and 3rd rounds this year than last. The same with RBs...and OL other than LTs. The issue is that the quality of the top 4-5 elite players is less than that of most years.

I know that's what the 'draftniks' are saying, but I don't believe that the general statement 'this is a weaker draft in the top 10' is true. The only difference I see between this draft, and a 'normal' draft, is that there isn't a gunslinger Quarterback that everyone 'thinks' is going to be a can't miss player. Trust me- there are going to be 6 or 7 awesome NFL football players from this years top 10. Just maybe not a Quarterback.

OurHeartAndSoul said:
With Mike Williams I see Keyshawn Johnson's speed and route running, Randy Moss' hands and jump ball ability, and Terrell Owens' strength and body.

sounds pretty good to me :)

btw, I believe Saban will draft Edwards

I do not like the fact that Mike Williams threw his hat into the ring with a guy like Maurice Clarret.

That was the act of an immature kid.

KB21 said:
The talent level is not lower this year. There is more talent in the top 10 this year than there was last year. The running backs are tons better than the best the draft had to offer last year. Braylon Edwards is on par with Larry Fitzgerald as a wide receiver prospect. The defensive ends in this draft are very deep, and the corners are better than what was available last year.

In terms of High first round DB's, do you think Rolle and Pac-Man are better than Daunte Robinson and Deangello Hall?

KB21 said:
Mike Williams would have gone around the 12th-15th picks last year. Somehow, he has actually improved his stock by not playing in the mind of some of you.

That's funny. The way i remember things last year was that he was rated right up there along with larry Fitzgerald and Roy Williams. it was after Clarett's court denial to enter the draft, that made mike Williams ineligible for Ncaa and was said at that time that by sitting out a year that his stock probably would slip but would still be expected to a top 15 pick in 2005. As it is he is expected now to go sooner than that this year.

Actually, KB is dead on accurate here. Larry Fitzgerald was the top receiver all along, Roy Williams and Mike Williams were 2a, 2b IN MARCH. Williams ran a high 4.6 at nearly 240 pounds and dropped behind Lee Evans on most boards.

Before the 49ers traded down with the Eagles, he was the consensus #16 pick in a compilation of 8 mock drafts. I'll post it if I find it.

Speed is everything in today's NFL. Go with Braylon Edwards.. then Troy Williamson.

grrrrrrreeaaattt

DBoston80 said:
ok fine!!! We'll take M.Williams at #2

ok, its settled then...cant wait for training camp, im glad all this draft stuff is done with now...

KB21 said:
Mike Williams would have gone around the 12th-15th picks last year. Somehow, he has actually improved his stock by not playing in the mind of some of you.
Agreed... but Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith wouldn't have gone before Roethlisberger last year, and he went #11.

Last year Mike was the #4 rated WR, behind Fitz, Roy and Reggie. This year he is better than Braylon IMO, and the #1 rated WR.

I would love us to take Mike Williams at #2, but I can't see it happening.

NYFCat said:
Actually, KB is dead on accurate here. Larry Fitzgerald was the top receiver all along, Roy Williams and Mike Williams were 2a, 2b IN MARCH. Williams ran a high 4.6 at nearly 240 pounds and dropped behind Lee Evans on most boards.

Before the 49ers traded down with the Eagles, he was the consensus #16 pick in a compilation of 8 mock drafts. I'll post it if I find it.

Speed is everything in today's NFL. Go with Braylon Edwards.. then Troy Williamson.

Well, could be but i went and found one with him included. Alot of mocks, prospect lists didn't include him since he was ineligible for the draft last year.
here is one that has him going at the 3rd pick right behind Larry Fitzgerald. i'm sure there are more and probable some to the contrary as well. in any case tho, last year was very deep at WR and this year is pretty thin, so opinions will vary back and forth on it.

Back
Top Bottom