Pick Mike Williams, Period | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pick Mike Williams, Period

Mike Williams could have easily gone in the top 5 last year. At the very least he would have gone #9. Of course, the best WR taken was LSU's big and slow receiver ... Michael Clayton (#15). And the year before that was the other big and slow receiver named....Anquan Boldin.

The only part of his game that will suffer from time off will be timing. And he would have to re-establish timing with a new QB anyway. He has about 4 months to get that timing down and he could easily be the rookie with the most TD's behind his name at the conclusion of the season.

PhinstiGator said:
Mike Williams could have easily gone in the top 5 last year. At the very least he would have gone #9. Of course, the best WR taken was LSU's big and slow receiver ... Michael Clayton (#15). And the year before that was the other big and slow receiver named....Anquan Boldin.

The only part of his game that will suffer from time off will be timing. And he would have to re-establish timing with a new QB anyway. He has about 4 months to get that timing down and he could easily be the rookie with the most TD's behind his name at the conclusion of the season.

I'll take on anyone in a bet, that Mike Williams has at least 7TDs this year, even if he's drafted by the Bears. :eek:

If anyone is interested there is a real good Mike Williams article on espn.com.

KB21 said:
The talent level is not lower this year. There is more talent in the top 10 this year than there was last year. The running backs are tons better than the best the draft had to offer last year. Braylon Edwards is on par with Larry Fitzgerald as a wide receiver prospect. The defensive ends in this draft are very deep, and the corners are better than what was available last year.

I agree, it seems like every year people are down on the current draft until it actually happens, then they start liking it.

Some drafts are stronger in some areas and weaker in others, I get kind of sick of hearing about what an awful draft this is. They are all a crapshoot, teams that are good at evaluating talent seem to always draft well no matter how weak a draft is perveived to be, and teams that have bad personal evaluators seem to make bad selections even in the best of perceived drafts.

shouright said:
How fast is Terrell Owens?

There's a difference. Terrell Owens IS fast. Very fast. Perhaps one of the fastest in the league with the ball in his hands. Owens is a thick, heavy-legged receiver who builds up speed 10-15 yards downfield WHILE also possessing the ability to dominate intermediate routes.

In simple terms, give the ball to TO in space and he'll run by your DB's that tested out at 4.3/40 in NFL draft combines.

Mike Williams is a very talented receiver and I would have NO COMPLAINTS with him being selected in the top 7.... OF THIS YEAR'S DRAFT.

What I'm saying is that Mike Williams did not possess the ability of Larry Fitzgerald or Roy Williams, as KB eluded to. I record the draft every year and store it in my library (yeah, get a life, I know). If you look at those draft tapes, you'll see that Fitzgerald was a lock for the top 3, and that Roy Williams was a STEAL at #7. Reggie Williams, Michael Clayton, Lee Evans, and Mike Williams were in a log-jam for the #3 spot before Williams was kicked out of the draft.

The consensus Top 8 for the draft were as follows:
1) Larry Fitzgerald
2) Roy Williams
3) Lee Evans
4a) Mike Williams
4b) Michael Clayton
4c) Reggie Williams (reach)
7) Michael Jenkins
8) Rashaun Woods

When you watch the highlight clips of Mike Williams when he is selected, show me how many of them feature him RUNNING BY college (and emphasize that term) defensive backs. He is a possession receiver and a potentially great one at the next level... but a possession receiver none-the-less.

NYFCat said:
There's a difference. Terrell Owens IS fast. Very fast. Perhaps one of the fastest in the league with the ball in his hands. Owens is a thick, heavy-legged receiver who builds up speed 10-15 yards downfield WHILE also possessing the ability to dominate intermediate routes.

In simple terms, give the ball to TO in space and he'll run by your DB's that tested out at 4.3/40 in NFL draft combines.

Mike Williams is a very talented receiver and I would have NO COMPLAINTS with him being selected in the top 7.... OF THIS YEAR'S DRAFT.

What I'm saying is that Mike Williams did not possess the ability of Larry Fitzgerald or Roy Williams, as KB eluded to. I record the draft every year and store it in my library (yeah, get a life, I know). If you look at those draft tapes, you'll see that Fitzgerald was a lock for the top 3, and that Roy Williams was a STEAL at #7. Reggie Williams, Michael Clayton, Lee Evans, and Mike Williams were in a log-jam for the #3 spot before Williams was kicked out of the draft.

The consensus Top 8 for the draft were as follows:
1) Larry Fitzgerald
2) Roy Williams
3) Lee Evans
4a) Mike Williams
4b) Michael Clayton
4c) Reggie Williams (reach)
7) Michael Jenkins
8) Rashaun Woods

When you watch the highlight clips of Mike Williams when he is selected, show me how many of them feature him RUNNING BY college (and emphasize that term) defensive backs. He is a possession receiver and a potentially great one at the next level... but a possession receiver none-the-less.

I'm gonna just laugh at that :shakeno:

Where do you get this consensus from.

The so-called consensus was that Reggie Williams was the 3rd best WR. Buffalo actually took Lee Evans high as did Tampa Bay slightly with Clayton. Woods dropped a little bit. Those teams knew what they were doing though apparently. Mike Williams is in that top 3 of WRs. He would have gone most probably at 9 to the Jags.

Mike Williams will throw any CB off him who dares try and press him at the line. He was simply DOMINATING at USC. His hands are fantastic and naturely very big. He can get faster still. He'll never be incredibly fast, but he is faster than Plaxico on the field.

NYFCat said:
He is a possession receiver and a potentially great one at the next level... but a possession receiver none-the-less.
When he catches everything thrown to him in the red zone and scores PLENTY of touchdowns, that "possession receiver" term will take on a new meaning.

Actually the argument here shouldn't be where Williams would have rated with the other WR's. The argument here should be whether Williams inclusion would have pushed Clayton down to Miami or not since that was one of the 3 WR's Spielman had tagged before he avoided WR and picked up Carey. Who knows how that would have gone. Chambers & Clayton lining up together. Booker staying in Chicago, Different Ogun trade maybe. Perhaps walking into this draft with a 2nd 3rd round pick still. It's a domino effect.

Jaj said:
I'm gonna just laugh at that :shakeno:

Where do you get this consensus from.

The so-called consensus was that Reggie Williams was the 3rd best WR. Buffalo actually took Lee Evans high as did Tampa Bay slightly with Clayton. Woods dropped a little bit. Those teams knew what they were doing though apparently. Mike Williams is in that top 3 of WRs. He would have gone most probably at 9 to the Jags.

Mike Williams will throw any CB off him who dares try and press him at the line. He was simply DOMINATING at USC. His hands are fantastic and naturely very big. He can get faster still. He'll never be incredibly fast, but he is faster than Plaxico on the field.
yeah... it might be his consensus.

The real consensus, as you pointed out was...

Fitz
Roy Williams
Reggie Williams
Mike Williams
Lee Evans (rising)
Rashaun Woods (falling)
Michael Clayton
Michael Jenkins.

Clayton and Woods might be the wrong way round.

We had Clayton at the top of our draft board last year.

Back
Top Bottom