Pick Mike Williams, Period | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pick Mike Williams, Period

Shouright

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
At #2 overall I want a potential superstar QB or a player who's potentially undefensible at his position to justify the money he'll make. The QB prospects are a long way from being sure things this year, and I don't think there are any RBs worthy of #2 overall money. They simply don't stand out enough from the other RBs in the draft class or in prior draft classes. In other words, I don't see a Marshall Faulk or an Emmitt Smith out there this year.

The one guy who's worth the money and is potentially undefensible at his position is Mike Williams. He's 6'5" 230 and runs a 4.56 40, and he'll be covered in the NFL by guys who on average are 5'11" 195. His 40 time may sound slow compared to the fastest WRs in the league, but does it sound slow compared to Terrell Owens or Jerry Rice?

Another thing is productivity. I don't think you'll find a more productive player in the draft than Williams. And Nick Saban has said there's no better predictor of future behavior than past behavior. Williams's past behavior includes 176 catches for 2,579 yards and 30 TDs in two seasons. Does it get any better than that in the college ranks?

Here is Williams's rundown from Scouts, Inc.:

Strengths: Has exceptional size and adequate speed for his size. Is too big, fast and strong to press on a consistent basis. One of the aspects of his game that makes him so rare is his ability to get to top speed so quickly for a big receiver. Is extremely smooth for his size. Gets in and out of his breaks without having to gear down too much. Shows smooth hips and tremendous body control for his size. Has long arms and big, strong hands. His overall ball skills are exceptional. He shows rare hand-eye coordination. Catches the ball away from his body and won't let it get into his pads. Is in the elite category when it comes to catching the ball over his shoulder in the vertical passing game. Can pluck and run with ease. Shows the consistent ability to adjust to the poorly thrown ball. Will make the tough catch in traffic. He's more explosive as a vertical route runner than he is as a runner after the catch, but he's still extremely difficult to defend. He plucks the ball very well on the run, which allows him to get upfield quickly after the catch. He shows a very strong and effective stiff arm. You must tackle him low in space in order to be successful.

Weaknesses: His weight is a bit of a long-term concern. He needs to keep his weight in check and show better self-discipline in terms of eating and working out during the season. He has a chance to get too big in the NFL (much like David Boston) and might have to move to an H-back type of role if he's not careful. He has adequate speed for his size, but his top-end speed is not good. Still can improve his awareness versus zone coverage. He has adequate but not great elusiveness. Is shifty and will make the first defender miss most of the time, but he's not overly elusive in the open field. Effort is somewhat inconsistent as a blocker. Has a great frame and good strength, but does too much positioning and walling off.

Overall: Williams, 20, tried and failed to get into the 2004 NFL draft. In two college seasons, Williams had 176 catches for 2,570 yards and 30 touchdowns. The All-America sophomore left USC shortly after the spring semester began. He hired an agent and followed Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett in declaring his eligibility for the NFL draft after a federal judge ruled that younger players could turn pro. But that ruling was stayed and Williams eventually was given official word that his college eligibility is gone, which means Williams simply will have to sit and wait between now and the April 2005 NFL draft. Williams had 176 catches for 2,570 yards and 30 touchdowns in two seasons at USC. Williams quickly became the nation's most explosive and dynamic receiver, and there is very little question about his physical maturity. Williams has elite size, strength, hand-eye coordination and body control. While he doesn't have great speed, he is a vertical threat with adequate speed, good acceleration and terrific size and leaping ability. There are, however, some concerns about Williams' mental maturity and weight. He got down to 229 pounds at the combine but it took a lot of work to get him to that point and there were reports coming from his training group in 2004 that he could easily eat his way to the tight end position if he didn't show more self-discipline. Furthermore, with Williams being unable to play the entire 2004 season, there has to be concern about him being rusty. Regardless, Williams is a physical-phenom and a dynamic WR prospect with the potential to develop into an impact No. 1 target in the NFL. In our opinion, Williams is a top-10 prospect.

Mike Williams would have gone around the 12th-15th picks last year. Somehow, he has actually improved his stock by not playing in the mind of some of you.

KB21 said:
Mike Williams would have gone around the 12th-15th picks last year. Somehow, he has actually improved his stock by not playing in the mind of some of you.

b/c the talent level is lower this year if for some reason we take a receiver I hope its Williams instead of Edwards

The talent level is not lower this year. There is more talent in the top 10 this year than there was last year. The running backs are tons better than the best the draft had to offer last year. Braylon Edwards is on par with Larry Fitzgerald as a wide receiver prospect. The defensive ends in this draft are very deep, and the corners are better than what was available last year.

IMO the only reason why Williams isnt the #1 player is because the lack of speed that he has. Boy if he had some wheels on him, the Niners would draft him in a heart beat with the #1 pick.

KB21 said:
The talent level is not lower this year. There is more talent in the top 10 this year than there was last year. The running backs are tons better than the best the draft had to offer last year. Braylon Edwards is on par with Larry Fitzgerald as a wide receiver prospect. The defensive ends in this draft are very deep, and the corners are better than what was available last year.

Not a chance, the picks from last year were much better in the top 10 especially they were all franchise players, this year the top 10 are good and could be franchise but not nearly in the same class, Rb is the only position where a this year is better then last years.

JAREDMANN said:
Not a chance, the picks from last year were much better in the top 10 especially they were all franchise players, this year the top 10 are good and could be franchise but not nearly in the same class, Rb is the only position where a this year is better then last years.

I agree 100%

KB21 said:

Do you know that for a fact, or is it your opinion? :)

JAREDMANN said:

What exactly are you basing your opinion on? Why do you say that last years players were 'franchise' players, and this years aren't? I hope your reasoning is more scientific than "because that's what the guys on the NFL network and ESPN are saying..."

i love both Braylon and Williams.
i think Williams is better, but then again, he didnt play last year, and that could really affect it.

KB21 said:

..disagree...Williams likely woulda been the 2nd or 3rd WR taken

I thought I remembered the draft gurus talking about him going in the top 5 last year if he was able...

KB21 said:
I seem to remember some talking about Williams being THE top pick in the draft last year had he been able to come out.

Back
Top Bottom