Pick our poison | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pick our poison

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
What to do, what to do?????
I know our offense is going to have a definate slant to more running by Ricky and Lucas. I don't think our coaches are dumb enough to go into this game trying to air it out......my question is, What is going to be our defensive strategy?

Do we sell out to stop the pass, and let AG rack up the yards between the 20's, or do we stack the line and make Farve beat us?

The former strategy has been effective twice, against Indy and Buffalo, both teams got lots of yards from EJ and TH but only one TD between them. Both games were winnable from a defensive standpoint, in other words the game plan was what I would consider a success. It's all about the points and neither running back made any difference in that department. (*note* this is not an invitation to Bills fans to debate ....this is my opinion, if you disagree, tough, I don't want to hash this out again.) So do we run the same strategy in this game or not?

I know it sounds like a simple answer, " Of course, You shut down Farve and take your chances with Green, are you on glue?????!!!!???"

But I think, if Farve is injured, then perhaps it might be best to force them to pass the ball.

"But it's not his arm that is injured!!!"

This I know but,....it is his knee and that will possibly effect his mobility and escapability, which is not a good thing when you have one of the fastest speed rushers in the NFL playing on the D-line across from you. I think the Packers are aware of this also and are probably going to come into this game with something much similar to our offensive game plan. Run Ahman run......so, if we can shut him down, force them to pass and THEN get pressure on Farve, I think we will be able to get some TO's.

I think when it comes to defense, stopping the run should be first and foremost because of the old saying about passing the ball.......

"Only three things can happen when you pass the ball, and two of them aint good."

Of course, last time we sold out to stop the run, TrInt Green lit us up for a career day so what do I know?:goof:

Hopefully actually getting some pressure on the QB can change all that.

What do you guys think?

I say you shut down Ahman Green.

This is no disrespect to Favre. But we've got the best CB tandem in the NFL. IMO, you have to let those guys earn their money. You never dare a team that can run the ball to run it. You make them one-dimensional. If we can handle Buffalo's passing attack, then we stand a good chance against the Packers'.

Then again, we shut down Priest Holmes in KC without committing an extra man to the run. So maybe we can do it again. This time we'll have Surtain and a much improved Fletcher back there. So it gives us a little flexibility either way.

I agree. Take away the run first. GB does not exactly have the most impressive WR's.

Originally posted by JTK
I agree. Take away the run first. GB does not exactly have the most impressive WR's.

However Farve has one hell of a gun. Did you see that bomb he layed out earlier in the season?? That distance was incredible.

I say don't go into this with the focus being on either or. Play them both evenly and throw a few wrinkles in here and there.

Ahman Green is no EJ and Brett doesn't have the Moulds/Price/Reed/Rimersma/Centers package to work with. So I don't see us having to over compensate. I say we play them the same way we did last year with a few wrinkles.

take away the run. Let JT put pressure on farve.

You guys are too funny.

First in regards to Favre's mobility. Word is he has the same mobility with the brace on as he did without it. There was a problem with mobility when he had the brace plus tape, but he no longer is using tape. Of course the proof in the pudding will be game time as to how mobile he is. Additionally, unlike other QBs, Favre does not have to plant his feet to throw. ;)

So you want to shut down Green? Hmmmmmm trying the reverse of what the Pats did (they focused on the passing game). :o

You think out WRs are nothing to be concerned with?

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.

What I do know is all 5 of our WRs are not afraid to go after the ball (as Freeman and Schroider were), and more importantly

Favre is very comfortable airing the ball to them (like the 65 yard throw to Driver during the MNF against the Bears).

While the Pack has its glitches (as do the Fins) the team is definitely not one dimensional.

How do you think Ray is going to do with KGB breathing down his neck along with Holliday? And then he has to contend with Sharper and Anderson.

And lets not forget that the Pack's D leads the league in TO ratio. And they are getting better at it every game.

For sure this is going to be a good game. And I think it will go down to the final minutes (don't you just hate blow out games? I know I do) and the winner will be the one who makes the least mistakes. :D

I agree with everything u said basically. But our secondary is one of the best in football. Ur recievers are goin to have a tough time against madison and surtain. Fletcher may be our weak point, but he has shown glimpses of being player he was supposed to be. I dont think the packers o can be completely shutdown, but i think we'll have success on 3rd and long. Turnovers and special teams will decide this and i think thats to our advantage!!

:billsbite

Well Stan I have learned a valuable lesson in all my years of watching the NFL.

Just when you think your team is going to come out like there's no tomorrow they show up like a little old ladies sewing circle. Players who excell one weak, look like a pop warner wanna be could beat the crap out of them.

I have seen teams who statistically have the greatest O, D, ST's whatever playing against a team that by all rights would make even the Bengals look like SB contenders, fall apart.

Looking forward to see what both the Pack and the Fins bring to the game Monday. :D

Favre has a history of playing well after an injury.

He also plays VERY well on MNF.

That said..he has never had a knee injury....I look for a lot of Ahman. If Miami takes away the run and puts it on Favre..it's gonna be tight....very tight.

BTW...you Dolphin fans are pretty high on your DB's...we got a pretty good group back there too....Ray is gonna have a long night throwing...don't con yourselves into thinking Carter is a magic pill...Packers would love to see this guy get popped right out of his shoes.

If Ricky is on...we got problems....but your O line had better step up.

Don't worry. Nobody here is expecting Carter to light things up Monday night. It's just unrealistic at this point. He'll catch a few balls. Maybe even a TD. But I don't see him getting over 35 yards receiving, if that.

We are high on our DB's... they are one of the top 2 or 3 sets in the NFL, and very arguably THE best. They are truly the strength of the Defense right along with JT and Zach.
Were not knocking Green bay's DB's. Nobody is saying that they arent very good, but unless your team is from Philly then they arent in that same elite group as ours. Most of the yards gained against our D comes against our LB's on those short routes over the middle.

Yes, Favre is awsome on monday night, but so is Miami.

Also, if Ray is throwing alot on Monday night then your right, it will be a long night. We have great recievers, but against Buffalo Lucas couldent get the ball to them even though he had time and open recievers. After that I think it's safe to say that none of us are hoping for Lucas to carry the team... Miami fans everywhere are hoping for Ricky to carry the ball about 25-35 times this week. Because thats the ONLY way that Miami wins this game is to grind it out.

Originally posted by thefisherking
Favre has a history of playing well after an injury.

He also plays VERY well on MNF.

That said..he has never had a knee injury....I look for a lot of Ahman. If Miami takes away the run and puts it on Favre..it's gonna be tight....very tight.

BTW...you Dolphin fans are pretty high on your DB's...we got a pretty good group back there too....Ray is gonna have a long night throwing...don't con yourselves into thinking Carter is a magic pill...Packers would love to see this guy get popped right out of his shoes.

If Ricky is on...we got problems....but your O line had better step up.

You should know our DB's quite well. They shut you down completely after some early jitters last year.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
You should know our DB's quite well. They shut you down completely after some early jitters last year.

that's funny I dont remember the Packer's playing the Phins last year in the regular season:lol: if you're trying to bring up pre-season smack ,oh man,I will have to bust a gut and cry with laughter :lol:

I believe he was refering to the year before last (2000) when Favre went 21/34 for 194 Yards, 0 TD's and 1 INT. Was sacked twice and fumbled once.

i say Miami needs to stop the run, we got the best CBs

Back
Top Bottom