Player Comparisons | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Player Comparisons

He's faster than Landry but not so much that it changes the complexion of his game completely away from Landry's game, IMO. They're the same dimensions. They play with strength and attitude. They run after the catch. They have tremendous hands. Neither of them really separates much when it comes to a foot race.
Would you draft him for Miami. In spite of inconsistently being able to separate? Do you think he's worthy of the #3 pick.

Last edited:
I've never been much of a tape guy but I've been trying to get better at it.

While I've seen alot of Harrison comps for Smith, I also see alot of Greg Jennings in him.

2:10 in that video is something Jennings was very good at and I see Smith being able to replicate that at the next level. imo

Would you draft him for Miami. In spite of inconsistently being able to separate? Do you think he's worthy of the #3 pick.
Well, if he's faster than Landry but similar in physical attributes, that's a high pick.

I know Landry went in round two, but he probably should have been top 20.

The question to me is Chase versus the other top receivers and Pitts.

I can picture using Pitts and Gesicki in the same offense. But it's a good point. I'm not sure Miami would view it that way.
If we need a tough yard, which of those TEs can handle the edge on their own?

Marvin Harrison was a great player but not as quick and elusive as Devonta Smith. Watching Smith this year was just amazing how elite DBs cant stay with him even when they are fast as well. Its just so hard to get an angle on him to tackle- it seemed like tacklers are always tackling him from behind. Plus he has great radius reaching and catching the ball.
The Etienne/ Aaron Jones comp is a great one. Jones had ball security issues this year, would prefer Harris over both.

Toney isn’t even close to the level of an all around playmaker that Harvin was imo. If it weren’t for the health issues Harvin would’ve been really special in the nfl.

And then the Devonta Smith to Marvin Harrison comparison I see so often made on here is....well they are both skinny but people forget Marvin had Peyton tossing him the rock. Not saying Marvin wasn’t good but Reggie Wayne put up similar numbers with Peyton as well. Basically everyone put up huge numbers with Peyton.

Well, you've got to play to players strengths. Both are really receiving tight ends, who can block a little.
Block a little...on a line in its second year?

Pitts is nice for fantasy purposes, but to take him in the top 10...?

tumblr_n35xlcaazu1s5pkz8o3_250.gif

Toney isn’t even close to the level of an all around playmaker that Harvin was imo. If it weren’t for the health issues Harvin would’ve been really special in the nfl.

And then the Devonta Smith to Marvin Harrison comparison I see so often made on here is....well they are both skinny but people forget Marvin had Peyton tossing him the rock. Not saying Marvin wasn’t good but Reggie Wayne put up similar numbers with Peyton as well. Basically everyone put up huge numbers with Peyton.
Don't forget Dallas Clark...and Edgerin James/Addai.

My favorite player growing up was Mark Duper. There was nothing quite like watching him torching past CBs and Safeties. There have been a lot of wasted picks by GMs trying to replicate that game breaking ability by signing pure athletes. I'm looking forward to seeing if Eskridge and Waddle can do better than Ross and Ruggs at it.

Block a little...on a line in its second year?

Pitts is nice for fantasy purposes, but to take him in the top 10...?

tumblr_n35xlcaazu1s5pkz8o3_250.gif
I would compare him to the top three receivers rather than to tight ends. But I don't know if Miami will see it that way.

I'd actually be surprised if the Dolphins took him.

I really don't agree with the Harrison/Smith comparison. Their play styles are very different. Harrison struggled with and avoided contact. Smith is among the best in CFB at contested catches. He has a large catch radius and is great at creating space with his elbows. When DBs try to get physical with him, it is usually ineffective.

Back
Top Bottom