Player Retention Rates Since 2009 Week 17

JerryD

Active Roster
Reaction score
Player Retention Rates Since 2009 Week 17. Interesting Metric

Miami is 9th Best for Retention Rates:
Rank Team Backups Starters IR Total Retention Rate
9 Dolphins 27 17 7 51 .836

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/18906/where-every-nfl-team-ranks-in-turnover
Check the link for the formatted table of all teams & further analysis, it doesn't c/p well

Rosters throughout the league will change significantly again as teams comply with 53-man limits in September.

The chart shows how many Week 17 starters, backups and players from injured reserve remain with their 2009 teams. The retention rate divides those totals by the sum of 53 plus all players who were on IR lists in Week 17. The starter totals can be somewhat misleading for teams that rested key players before the playoffs, but the retention rates apply equally. Every team had 53 players on its roster in Week 17.

In double-checking totals, I noticed that teams have parted with 107 of the 294 players listed on IR in Week 17. That works out to 63.6 percent retention for players who were on IR, compared to 82.1 percent retention for players who were on 53-man rosters. The total retention rate -- 79.4 percent -- reflects both sets of players.

The chart breaks down totals based on rosters I have updated through moves made Thursday. I also accounted for the Denver Broncos' reported release of quarterback Tom Brandstater, who was with the team in Week 17. I'm counting unsigned franchise players (Aubrayo Franklin) and unsigned restricted free agents as still being with their 2009 teams, based on the fact that their teams hold rights to them.

Back
Top Bottom