Player(s) You'd Pound the Table for in the Middle Rounds? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Player(s) You'd Pound the Table for in the Middle Rounds?

Not much pounding will be going on. Depending on whether you classify 81 as middle round, Miami only has a tail end pick at 156.

It is interesting that Flores was at Oregon's pro day. Maybe it was to double check on Sewell, but Holland certainly would help Miami.
If they want to move on from either Rowe or McCain then he could be in play. I don't believe Flores was there for Sewell. Highly doubt we moved back up to 6 to not draft a playmaker.

Not much pounding will be going on. Depending on whether you classify 81 as middle round, Miami only has a tail end pick at 156.
3 day will be boring seeing 75 players go off the board before we pick unless that is, we trade down from either 18,36,50 or 81 and get some extra picks in the 4th or 5th round.

Not sure how we're defining "Middle Rounds" but if you let me extend it to the 3rd round (where we currently do have a pick) here are the guys I'm absolutely pounding the table for if either is available:

1. OLB/DE Charles Snowden (UVa)
2. G/C Quinn Meinerz (Some school so small it has "Whitewater" in it's name ... seriously)

Snowden played at Virginia so he didn't get the press he deserved, then got injured and missed almost all of this past season ... and he's got to gain some muscle mass, so he'll likley drop down to the round 3 or 4 range. But, he's 6'7 is smart as heck with exceptional athleticism, great pass rush skills, tremendous tenacity, good tackler, non-stop motor, agility to play the OLB position at a high level and flexibility to dominate as a DE in both passing and running downs. He can even cover decently. Right now he's a bit of a "basketball player" build as our good friend @SF Dolphin Fan puts it, but he's bulking up to where he needs to be. He's a perfect fit for our hybrid role and complicated defense who will blossom into a fantastic player. He's probably 1 year away from really being a cornerstone of the defense, but he's got the talent and his head is screwed on right.

Meinerz is the small school kid who is 6'3 and 310 lbs who dominated the Senior Bowl. He might have been the most impressive lineman on either side of the ball. Unless our coaches were blind, we've gotta have him front and center on our radar. The only questions really are ... how long can we wait to draft him, and what position should he play? IMHO, he's a fantastic pulling guard prospect, and we don't really have one in our team atm. His functional strength is super-impressive, and I've seen him mocked to us as a C, but I'd rather he play G and let this kid move and hit.

I'm 100% pounding the table for these two guys. Both will probably be gone by the time we draft unless we acquire some middle round draft picks or pick one of them in round 3.

I'd sign up for both of those.

Saw the highlights of Snowden that you posted in another thread. His athleticism and non-stop motor stood out.

I wouldn't doubt that Flores pounds the table for Meinerz after working with him at the Senior Bowl.

If they want to move on from either Rowe or McCain then he could be in play. I don't believe Flores was there for Sewell. Highly doubt we moved back up to 6 to not draft a playmaker.
I love Sewell, but I also don't believe he's the pick.

Baron Browning - LB - Ohio St. he is predicted to go anywhere from round 2 to round 6.
Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky....either of these two

Walker Little OT out of Stanford. Dude has all pro potential he’s just been out of football due to injuries for over a year.

Justin Hilliard LB and Jonathan Cooper EDGE out of Ohio St are 2 guys that have a ton of talent just not the tape and production to back it up. Rounds 5-7 is where you’ll find these 2 and they have the classic look of better pro players than they were college players.

Talanoa Hufanga a Safety out of USC. Go watch the tape of the PAC 12 Championship game against Oregon. Dude just flies around the ball. Better in coverage than I expected and he’s a head hunter. Love love love his game. Maybe the most underrated prospect in the draft for me.

Camryn Bynum a CB out of Cal. Dude was all PAC 12 multiple times and is a team captain for multiple years. Doesn’t have great long speed but he’s exceptionally good in his technique.

Tyler Vaughns WR out of USC and Trevon Grimes WR out of Florida are 2 6th-7th round guys that have lots of potential. Both are former 5 star prospects coming out of high school that didn’t live up to their respective hype but still possess a ton of raw talent.

My theory for late round picks are to look for guys that have at least 1 trait that we can coach up. All these guys except for Bynum are former 5 star prospects and all possess loads of natural talent. It just needs to be coached up. It just so happens we now have a guy that’s exceptional at coaching and developing players in Flo and the staff. Would be thrilled to have any of these guys as a part of our draft class.
I am certainly not trying to attack your post but yours is an interesting way to view talent. As for me I see it nearly 180 degrees in reverse. I see football as a sport not played between the lines, but between the ears. Five star HS recruits who fail to put it on tape to me are much less likely to turn it on and find their way in the pros than those with less talent but just have a love and knowledge of the game, and understanding they are going to have to out work, and out study the next guy to be great. Knowing that from the start puts them in the right mindset IMO.

Five star guys were so much better than anyone around them in HS that there was no chip on their shoulders, and no reason to out work those around them. Dion Jordon comes to mind as a freakish athlete who had average tape and no work ethic. As opposed to a player like Zach Thomas who knew he had to be smarter, work harder and know the opponent better than the next guy to get it done.

Two different ways to look at the same issue and there are certainly many examples of your way winning the day as well. Cameron Wake was a freak who didn't get his head on straight until after he left college and was able to turn it on and become a superstar, and became willing to do the work to be the best he could. Both ways have produced superstars, I just relate to those willing to out work the other guy as opposed to the freakish talent. I have never had great talent but I know how effective hard work can be.

Back
Top Bottom