Players are not always fans | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Players are not always fans

Pelorus Jack

Active Roster
Reaction score
Dolphin fans expecting players to be as emotionally invested in the team may be expecting too much. Why, because all the NFL players are members of the NFLPA first, a labor organization.

Players then sign contracts to perform for a specific team or business if you prefer. That team's business goal is in filling the stands, selling merchandise, etc. and 'making money'. Nothing wrong with that as that is basic capitalism.

The Dolphin fan on the other hand, has it's full emotional commitment to seeing the team win. But win or lose the players still get paid and if they get released and they are even half good they know they most likely will be collecting a paycheck somewhere else. Many players are just employees working out their contracts and looking to get a more lucrative contract in the future. Being a Dolphin therefore is just a job for far too many of them.

When I look at the Patriots, for example, I see a team that has somehow gained the loyalty of (most of) it's players. The players appear to respect the coaches, the owners and pride themselves as Patriot players. I just don't see anywhere near this same level of loyalty with most of the current Dolphin players.

This to me is the basic reason for failure on the part of the Dolphin's organization and why whoever new they bring in will fail unless major changes are made first at the top. I think getting rid of Ross and his show tunes football mentality is a good place to start. But bringing in the right owner to make the needed changes is imperative or the Dolphins will be mired in mediocrity or worse until this is done.

Winning is the only thing that earns that respect. People respected Shula because he won. People respected Landry, Lombardi, Walsh, Ditka, Cowher, etc...why? Because they won. You can't put the cart before the horse. Our owner is not the problem. He spends freely. He isn't afraid to allow his GM and coach to do as they see fit. His only fault was his loyalty to Ireland. And until 4 weeks ago, it looked like that was justified. Hindsight is 20/20. I think he sees what needs to be done. Give him time to get through this media blitz, and I think he will replace Ireland. Philbin is still up in the air. I like him, but he may be gone as well. Time will tell, but I think Ross truly wants this team to win.

Dolphin fans expecting players to be as emotionally invested in the team may be expecting too much. Why, because all the NFL players are members of the NFLPA first, a labor organization.

Players then sign contracts to perform for a specific team or business if you prefer. That team's business goal is in filling the stands, selling merchandise, etc. and 'making money'. Nothing wrong with that as that is basic capitalism.

The Dolphin fan on the other hand, has it's full emotional commitment to seeing the team win. But win or lose the players still get paid and if they get released and they are even half good they know they most likely will be collecting a paycheck somewhere else. Many players are just employees working out their contracts and looking to get a more lucrative contract in the future. Being a Dolphin therefore is just a job for far too many of them.

When I look at the Patriots, for example, I see a team that has somehow gained the loyalty of (most of) it's players. The players appear to respect the coaches, the owners and pride themselves as Patriot players. I just don't see anywhere near this same level of loyalty with most of the current Dolphin players.

This to me is the basic reason for failure on the part of the Dolphin's organization and why whoever new they bring in will fail unless major changes are made first at the top. I think getting rid of Ross and his show tunes football mentality is a good place to start. But bringing in the right owner to make the needed changes is imperative or the Dolphins will be mired in mediocrity or worse until this is done.

Agree with everything except for Ross. He let Ireland get people and opened the wallet. Everything else is GM and coaching pretty much.

You can't really "get rid" of an owner.

'Getting rid of Ross' a poor choice of words on my part.

Having an owner that can make the right choices in hiring effective and knowledgeable team management would have a been better choice.

Back
Top Bottom