Players Mocked Too High? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Players Mocked Too High?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I don't want to say these players are overrated, they are just being mocked too high in my opinion. Here are a few....

Kadarius Toney Wr.
I'm actually a big fan of this guy. He gets some unreal separation, which is the type of player Miami needs. A real option in the slot for the Dolphins. But I've seen him mocked top 20 quite a bit and that just seems too high to me. I'm thinking more bottom 1, top 2 kind of guy.

Kwity Paye DE
In a year without a true #1 pass rusher, Paye could be first off the board. I'm a buyer top 20 or so, but not top 10.

Nick Bolton LB
Another player I really like, but I've seen a few mocks that have him top 15. I think he's a target for Buffalo later R1 if they lose Milano.

Rashod Bateman Wr.
First round, sure. Top 15 not so sure.

Dylan Moses LB
Not sure I'd look his way before R4. Just didn't look like the same player this year.

Others?

Paye is definitely benefiting from a weaker DE class. When you have question marks like Rousseau and will Phillips health hold up ect. Paye is very good and smart in the run game but seems to really need to step up in the pass rushing aspect.

I don't want to say these players are overrated, they are just being mocked too high in my opinion. Here are a few....

Kadarius Toney Wr.
I'm actually a big fan of this guy. He gets some unreal separation, which is the type of player Miami needs. A real option in the slot for the Dolphins. But I've seen him mocked top 20 quite a bit and that just seems too high to me. I'm thinking more bottom 1, top 2 kind of guy.

Kwity Paye DE
In a year without a true #1 pass rusher, Paye could be first off the board. I'm a buyer top 20 or so, but not top 10.

Nick Bolton LB
Another player I really like, but I've seen a few mocks that have him top 15. I think he's a target for Buffalo later R1 if they lose Milano.

Rashod Bateman Wr.
First round, sure. Top 15 not so sure.

Dylan Moses LB
Not sure I'd look his way before R4. Just didn't look like the same player this year.

Others?
In my time machine mock, I had Paye @10, Bateman @20, and Toney @32... and left Bolton and Moses out altogether, so I think we're close in opinion here.

My over-rated list is well known, Smith and Harris... both older players who were recipients of being on a stacked team. I'd add Trask who creeps into the first round many times and I think that it is nuts.

I see Tyson Campbell of Georgia mocked higher than Eric Stokes of Georgia all the time. They are both corners. Campbell is faster. Stokes is a better football player.

Campbell needs to improve, no doubt, but I think he's pretty good - definitely not bad - and he has the physical tools NFL teams are looking for. Slimm and I talked a lot about how Marlon Humphrey struggled a lot at Alabama. With that combination of speed, length, and agility, though, the Ravens turned him into a star. Not saying Campbell will be as good as Humphrey or that I'm positive he'll even work out.

But, after Chase made a bunch of big plays vs AJ Terrell, not many people saw him as a Top 40 pick, let alone a Top 20 pick, and he finished the year strong in Atlanta. He was ok at Clemson. Definitely flashed, but he wasn't consistent. Great athlete, though, and good enough to develop.

I haven't got into Stokes, but if Campbell tests the way people say he will, I think you have to take it seriously. He won't be breaking my Top 20, but if you have a 6'1 CB with some bulk who runs in the low 4.3's, and he was at least alright against SEC competition, I'm going to be interested in that pretty early.

Low 4.3's reminds me of Jamel Dean.

Campbell needs to improve, no doubt, but I think he's pretty good - definitely not bad - and he has the physical tools NFL teams are looking for. Slimm and I talked a lot about how Marlon Humphrey struggled a lot at Alabama. With that combination of speed, length, and agility, though, the Ravens turned him into a star. Not saying Campbell will be as good as Humphrey or that I'm positive he'll even work out.

But, after Chase made a bunch of big plays vs AJ Terrell, not many people saw him as a Top 40 pick, let alone a Top 20 pick, and he finished the year strong in Atlanta. He was ok at Clemson. Definitely flashed, but he wasn't consistent. Great athlete, though, and good enough to develop.

I haven't got into Stokes, but if Campbell tests the way people say he will, I think you have to take it seriously. He won't be breaking my Top 20, but if you have a 6'1 CB with some bulk who runs in the low 4.3's, and he was at least alright against SEC competition, I'm going to be interested in that pretty early.

Campbell stays in phase. His problem is he shits the bed when the ball arrives. You have to make a play. Being in the right position is not enough.

Campbell stays in phase. His problem is he ****s the bed when the ball arrives. You have to make a play. Being in the right position is not enough.

You're right that Stokes is better - betterinstincts, further along. In the the composite rankings I'm seeing, Stokes is ranked 49 overall, and Campbell is 50 overall. I like both in that range. Campbell is probably more athletic, but it looks like both players are sub-4.4.

Completely disagree on AJ Terrell at Clemson. Yes Chase tore him up in the title game but that was the worst game AJs Clemson career by far. Other than that he was absolutely spectacular and teams stayed away from him all the time. He was the best true CB we’ve had in quite awhile. Trayvon Mullen played opposite AJ and he was also a 2nd round pick of the Raiders and I promise you teams threw at Mullen much much more than they ever did Terrell. Tua threw Terrells way on the 1st possession of that 2018 title game and AJ housed it for 6.

Avoid the edge class in the first round
Disagree here as well although I see why you and others feel this way. Jaelan Phillips is not only 1st round worthy he’s top half of the 1st round worthy. Now that’s just my opinion and I’m sure he won’t be taken inside the top 15 but I consider him 1 of the best 10-12 players in this draft and he may have the highest ceiling of any defensive player in this draft. If he reaches anything close to his ceiling he’s going to be a multiple time all pro selection.

Kwity Paye I think is late 1st round worthy although he’s never going to be spectacular I believe it’ll take a couple years but he’ll be a very solid player for years.

Im also a lot higher on Carlos Basham than most and I believe he’s late 1st round worthy. Has great athletic ability for a guy that’s 6’5 285/290 pounds. Sets the edge pretty damn well and has the ability to rush the passer as evidence more by his junior tape than senior tape as his sack numbers fell off somewhat this year but I also though he was better at setting the edge his senior tape than his junior tape. He’s another one of these guys that has versatility. He can set the edge outside for you or slide inside and push the pocket from the interior. Guys that possess major versatility are higher on boards for me personally. It’s a reason I like JOK so much. I love players that are versatile and that can be moved around and help at multiple positions and that tends to push guys up the board for me personally.

But I do totally understand why people are down on this DL class as a whole but as always they’ll be 2/3 guys that come out of this class that will be star players. It’s just not as obvious as most years when theirs a Chase Young or Myles Garrett or Nick/Joey Bosa available. Like I said though I fully believe Jaelan Phillips is top 15 worthy and if he’s there at #18 I’d love to see Miami select him and yes even over Rousseau who I think is highly over rated but again that’s just me.

Completely disagree on AJ Terrell at Clemson. Yes Chase tore him up in the title game but that was the worst game AJs Clemson career by far. Other than that he was absolutely spectacular and teams stayed away from him all the time. He was the best true CB we’ve had in quite awhile. Trayvon Mullen played opposite AJ and he was also a 2nd round pick of the Raiders and I promise you teams threw at Mullen much much more than they ever did Terrell. Tua threw Terrells way on the 1st possession of that 2018 title game and AJ housed it for 6.

Saying he's the best Clemson CB isn't saying much tbh. I liked AJ way more than most, but he had stuff to work on.

Saying he's the best Clemson CB isn't saying much tbh. I liked AJ way more than most, but he had stuff to work on.
That’s not saying much? Besides AJ Terrell...

Trayvon Mullen
Cordrea Tankersley
Mackensie Alexander
Bashaud Breeland
Coty Sensabaugh
Byron Maxwell
Crezdon Butler
CJ Gaddis
Tye Hill
Justin Miller

No that’s not a ton for going back all the way to 2002 but I’d say that’s pretty solid. Also I’m not talking about how any of these guys were in the NFL I’m talking about what they were at Clemson bc of the post you wrote that I responded to. AJ Terrell was the best CB we’ve had since since Tye Hill. Of course he had things to get better at I mean what player doesn’t but AJ was very very good at Clemson. Much better than ok and he was absolutely consistent. He absolutely lived up to his 5 star ranking out of high school.

Back
Top Bottom