Players Who Could Surprise | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Players Who Could Surprise

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Every year there are positive and negative surprises. Last year, the Dolphins had more than their share of the negatives. I expect many more positives this year. Here are players that I think will surprise.

1. Daniels -- I list him as a potential surprise because I think he'll see more playing time than we expect. Neither Howard or Tillman are sure starters and Daniels talent, versatility and knowlege of Saban's system gives him a chance to even start.

2. Feeley -- He's clearly the underdog in the qb race, but I've always wondered what he could do with more talent around him and better coaching. If Feeley can take his game up significantly, I think he will be one of the pleasant surprises.

3. KJ Harris -- He's now a long-shot, especially with Ricky coming back. But he definitely has the talent to make the roster and contribute.

4. Romero -- He's been under the radar, but has steady improved over the last few years. With Bowens set to retire, Chester injury prone and age at DT, Romero could play a lot.

5. Vickerson -- In a similar situation as Romero. The Dolphins need to develop a young DT so he'll be given a chance.

6. Bellamy -- My biggest long shot pick. Right now, he is probably the 6th receiver on the depth chart and not very likely to make the team. I like his potential, though, and wonder if he could flourish in a new system. He has a chance since Boston is injury prone.

I also think the TE from USC (sorry can't remember his name) has a shot to make the team. He's a good special team player and played well for the Trojans when healthy. Plus, I think Lee is a player who could wear out his welcome quickly under Saban unless his mistakes stop happening in a hurry.

Alex Holmes, TE, USC - I agree, BTW.

I think Daniels could do good things. Daniels and Poole might be our future at CB. Yes, Saban is a defensive coach, but he was a defensive backs coach - these two guys are going to benefit... as is Shirdonya Mitchell.

Here's a list of everyone I would consider to be a surprise for us: (I'll break it down by positions)

QB: AJ Feeley and Gus Frerotte. (Who knows...)
RB: Kay Jay Harris
WR: Kendall Newson, Josh Davis
TE: Alex Holmes
OL: Rex Hadnot, Stockar McDougle, Vernon Carey, Wade Smith (You never know) Seth McKinney (You NEVER know),
DT: Kevin Vickerson, Dario Romero
DE: Ronald Flemons
S : Yeremiah Bell, Travares Tillman Atari Bigby, Abram Elam (EDITED: Added Tillman and Bell).
CB: Alphonso Roundtree, Reggie Howard

Also not sure if they fit into this category, but you can't leave out Ricky Williams :infins: and David Boston :lifter:

I refrained from saying someone like Marty Booker or Reggie Howard or Chris Chambers because I would consider that to be improvements from them rather than surprises.

Frerotte will surprise those who doubt he cant be an effective qb in this system.

Harris will make the team but I dont see that as surprising.

In general I think the whole OL will be a pleasant surprise

I agree with the Daniels pick. I agree with the Vickerson pick as well but more because I think Saban can get him to be the solid performer he showed flashes of being in college.

My sleeper is Shirdonya Mitchell who will probably be placed on the inactive list since hes hurt but imo he could be our next Ogunleye type who comes off an injury and makes a big impact. He was probably a 3rd talent (who knows maybe 2nd the way CB's flew off thanks to shanahan) and had 4.34 speed. His ball skills are good as well so yeah i definitely like him as a solid contributor at some point.

I think Lee is going to surprise everyone and play well. He is a talented guy who played well as a rookie. Some players have set backs their second year. Heck Todd Wade had one his second and third year.

painnotpleasure said:
Here's a list of everyone I would consider to be a surprise for us: (I'll break it down by positions)

QB: AJ Feeley and Gus Frerotte. (Who knows...)
RB: Kay Jay Harris
WR: Kendall Newson, Josh Davis
TE: Alex Holmes
OL: Rex Hadnot, Stockar McDougle, Vernon Carey, Wade Smith (You never know) Seth McKinney (You NEVER know),
DT: Kevin Vickerson, Dario Romero
DE: Ronald Flemons
S: Atari Bigby, Abram Elam
CB: Alphonso Roundtree, Reggie Howard

Also not sure if they fit into this category, but you can't leave out Ricky Williams :infins: and David Boston :lifter:

I refrained from saying someone like Marty Booker or Reggie Howard or Chris Chambers because I would consider that to be improvements from them rather than surprises.

I like that list. Those seem like the guys who if they do surprise it could mean a huge difference for the team.

I'd add Josh Davis to that list too. I know we're deep at wr but I think he has a good shot at making the team. At least PS.

kingnate85 said:
I like that list. Those seem like the guys who if they do surprise it could mean a huge difference for the team.

Exactly, those guys are the key to success for this team..good post painnotpleasure

Yermiah Bell.

He's going to win the starting job and won't look back.

touborg said:
I think Crowder will see more action that anticipated.
I dont know if it's just me... but I'm seriously hyped about Channing. Before the draft he was one of the guys that I said I wouldnt mind us taking if we traded down to the bottom of the first round.

Ayabandejo..... Im not sure if thats how you spell it but I hope Saban doesn't forget about this guy because I think he can become a good linebacker and hes fast.

Aquanator B1000 said:
i think bua deserves to be on this list.
with all due respect to everyone on this board... bua is probably the most OVERRATED player on here.

Bell,Boston,Brown,Bua,Bigby,Chester,Crowder,Daniels,Edwards,Howard,Roth,Seau,Spragan

Back
Top Bottom