Playing it safe was a good call | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Playing it safe was a good call

phinfan27

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We played it safe because Fiedler sucks. Had we had a good QB, then yes, we could have passed it a little. But since our RB is the strongest part of our offense, we have to give it to him in that situation and then we expect our good kicker to finish it for us. They did it right, and would do the same thing again. The game is over 9 .5 times out of 10 in that situation. If we had a good QB, then we don't have to play it so safe because they don't have as increased of a chance to throw an int than Fiedler does. How many times does Mare miss anything under 35, or get it blocked? Prisco and others would have said we should have played it safe had we threw and Fiedler threw an INT. Everyone would say " Wanny is an idiot, all he had to do was let one of the best kickers in the league finish it with a chip shot."

Personally, I have NO problem with them playing it safe had it been the same situation MINUS the dirt. And, this is NOT a case of hindsight is 20/20... I was screaming at the TV for them to go for the TD BEFORE the first missed kick, because too many kicks have been missed of that dirt in the past two years.

I'm willing to bet the percentage of kicks MADE off the infield dirt in Pro-Player is less than 20% over the past two years, but nobody keeps that as an official statistic.

stop being sensationalist

Originally posted by phinfan34
We played it safe because Fiedler sucks. Had we had a good QB, then yes, we could have passed it a little. But since our RB is the strongest part of our offense, we have to give it to him in that situation and then we expect our good kicker to finish it for us. They did it right, and would do the same thing again. The game is over 9 .5 times out of 10 in that situation. If we had a good QB, then we don't have to play it so safe because they don't have as increased of a chance to throw an int than Fiedler does. How many times does Mare miss anything under 35, or get it blocked? Prisco and others would have said we should have played it safe had we threw and Fiedler threw an INT. Everyone would say " Wanny is an idiot, all he had to do was let one of the best kickers in the league finish it with a chip shot."

We played it safe (as I mentioned in another post) because that was the correct thing to do according to coaching 101. Plain simple, that's it. The only coach that would've porbably gone for the td would be Mike Idiot Martz. Otherwise 99.9 % of the coaches would've went for the field goal whether it was Trent Green,Brett Farve, Chad pennington, etc..Behind center, the only exception to the rule is if the kicker is terrible (see SF) or if the kicker is injured (see Giants).

NFL football is about percentages and there is a greater risk and repercussions when trying to go for the TD. We have a fumbler for a RB. A qb who has a penchant for putting together game winning drives and also putting the ball in the db's hands, and we have wr's that could possibly cough up the ball. Even the teams that have a sure handed rb like priest Holmes would go for the FG. WHY because you end the game there, avoiding further injury, and preventing the chance of a costly turnover, hence the coach securing your job for another day. You kick the field goal on third down because if the snap is botched or the hold is botched the ball can be spiked.

HELLO this isn't college football were margin of victory is factored in..

So saying it was because of Feidler, without talking about most coaches would've opted for the kick, whether they had a future hall of famer behind center, a perenial all pro behind center, or a lifetime 70. qb rating qb behind center is rediculous.

You have a 2 million dollar kicker on your roster, who has an above 90% accuracy within 40yds, you kick the ball. It's that simple. Mare gets paid that much to make those winning field goals and not miss wide right.

My problem with that drive, is I would've liked for them to take a shot on second down to get closer to the endzone, instead of that cop out RW run. And that was the "high percentage run to center the ball in the field" call. He coached it perfectly, Mare just missed.

EVERYBODY SAY IT WITH ME FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME, OLINDO MARE COST US THAT GAME. HE MAKES THE KICK, GAME OVER.

DID RW have a fumble returned for a td on that last drive? No
DID JF have a fumble or pick returned for a td on that last drive? No
Did any of the skilled players cough the ball up and NE returned it for a td? NO
You could make a case that the safeties cost us the game, which is true or maybe even the pass rush, however Mare Makes that kick and we win. plain and simple.

Exactly. Who would have thought Mare would have missed?

i agree. it's been posted a million times in other threads: this isn't madden. it's a real football game with real professionals playing for both teams. you have to play it safe. good post.

Originally posted by DPlus47
i agree. it's been posted a million times in other threads: this isn't madden. it's a real football game with real professionals playing for both teams. you have to play it safe. good post.

Thanks. We can talk about how bad Fiedler is ( which he is) all day, but in all reality, we should be 5-1 going into a very winable game next week with a crappy Fiedler and O line. Playing it safe was the right call by far. We would have had to score to get out of the dirt seeing the dirt runs from about the 15 yd line in between the hashes anyways.....I would have loved to see the message board blow up had Fiedler thrown an INT if we tried to put it in.

Back
Top Bottom