Playing Time for Tua | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Playing Time for Tua

The idea that Tua needs game reps this year is more fan longing than reality.
While I'm not saying he absolutely needs those reps this season, it makes me nervous that if he doesnt, it'll be almost 2 straight years without taking a meaningful football snap when he gets his opportunity next year...

While I'm not saying he absolutely needs those reps this season, it makes me nervous that if he doesnt, it'll be almost 2 straight years without taking a meaningful football snap when he gets his opportunity next year...

Didnt Aaron rodgers go 3 years without meaningful reps?

But the Dolphins need to know what he is..... should the opportunity to draft a superior QB come to pass.....

But the Dolphins need to know what he is..... should the opportunity to draft a superior QB come to pass.....
What leads you to believe they don't?

Don't conflate what fans know with what the coaches know.

I agree, you never know for sure, until the chips are down, and the pressures on, but folding under pressure is not one of my biggest concerns with this particular player.

If Tua was your normal, run-of-the-mill draft pick, there would be no problem with letting him sit all year. BUT, Tua suffered a serious injury and has not played a snap of football since he was hurt. The doctors have cleared him, so they must think that he's healthy. However, NO ONE can 100% guarantee that he can take a big hit and keep playing; it's possible that a big hit could knock him out of football. Sure, the odds are that he'll be okay, but it would be a HUGE gamble for Miami if they head into the next draft without seeing Tua play. (Practice doesn't count, as I'm sure no one is allowed to clobber Tua in practice!) Suppose Tua sits all year, Miami uses those early draft picks on other positions, and then one big hit in next preseason puts Tua on IR or out of football permanently. They'll be without their franchise QB; the season might not be a bust but they'll be using a back-up QB all year, and they'll probably not be in a position to draft another top QB in the following draft. IF Tua is fragile, then they need to know that before this season ends. With extra early draft picks for next year, it's Miami's best chance at selecting a new "QB of the future" should Tua prove to be too brittle to play.

Heading into next season without seeing Tua take a hit would be a completely stupid move. IMO, cutting Rosen before knowing if Tua can take a hit was a stupid move. I'd expect idiotic decisions like this from Philbin and Gase, but I was hoping the Flores regime would be different. All Tua needs is a little bit of playing time. Let's see him take a few hits. Will he jump right up ready for the next play? Great! If he can't get back up, that would be a bad break for Tua, but the team would be in position to get a replacement in the 2021 draft. Giving Tua some playing time THIS season is the logical thing to do!

We wouldn’t have dumped Rosen if they didn’t already have the conviction that Tua’s ceiling was higher.

pro fans are like HS parents. They aren’t at practice and they assume the coaches can’t see players for what they are in practice.

very few players are different in practice than in games.

If Tua was your normal, run-of-the-mill draft pick, there would be no problem with letting him sit all year. BUT, Tua suffered a serious injury and has not played a snap of football since he was hurt. The doctors have cleared him, so they must think that he's healthy. However, NO ONE can 100% guarantee that he can take a big hit and keep playing; it's possible that a big hit could knock him out of football. Sure, the odds are that he'll be okay, but it would be a HUGE gamble for Miami if they head into the next draft without seeing Tua play. (Practice doesn't count, as I'm sure no one is allowed to clobber Tua in practice!) Suppose Tua sits all year, Miami uses those early draft picks on other positions, and then one big hit in next preseason puts Tua on IR or out of football permanently. They'll be without their franchise QB; the season might not be a bust but they'll be using a back-up QB all year, and they'll probably not be in a position to draft another top QB in the following draft. IF Tua is fragile, then they need to know that before this season ends. With extra early draft picks for next year, it's Miami's best chance at selecting a new "QB of the future" should Tua prove to be too brittle to play.

Heading into next season without seeing Tua take a hit would be a completely stupid move. IMO, cutting Rosen before knowing if Tua can take a hit was a stupid move. I'd expect idiotic decisions like this from Philbin and Gase, but I was hoping the Flores regime would be different. All Tua needs is a little bit of playing time. Let's see him take a few hits. Will he jump right up ready for the next play? Great! If he can't get back up, that would be a bad break for Tua, but the team would be in position to get a replacement in the 2021 draft. Giving Tua some playing time THIS season is the logical thing to do!

Oh my, someone sure needs a hit of something

Flores pretty much has already said he’s not gonna do this. Tua May not play at all this season. Fitz has been up and down but consistently good enough to stay the starter. It’s looking more like Tua sits all year and maybe last game or 2 of the season if were mathematically eliminated from playoffs Tua starts
I do not want to panic or suggest we should have drafted Hebert. Herbert looks good, I thought he would. But Tua has not yet had his chance. His surgery was Dec 1, fewer than 11 months ago. The current (apparent) plan of being patient with recovery and learning has not shown itself to be wrong.

What leads you to believe they don't?

Don't conflate what fans know with what the coaches know.

I agree, you never know for sure, until the chips are down, and the pressures on, but folding under pressure is not one of my biggest concerns with this particular player.

I concede your point on the coaches, they no doubt have a far better perspective on the situation...but if we end up with the #1 overall pick (houston's)?

Back
Top Bottom