Playing Time for Tua | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Playing Time for Tua

I concede your point on the coaches, they no doubt have a far better perspective on the situation...but if we end up with the #1 overall pick (houston's)?
That would be interesting, to say the least. At that point, the organization will have to make a decision that will have far reaching ramifications for many years to come.

Personally I dont think you base today's decisions on that highly unlikely eventuality.

Forget Tua this year. Not going to happen. They obviously made the wrong choice, and Tua aint blowing it up in practice like they hoped for. The guy simply ain't NFL ready. How a guy don't start for a 5-11 team is beyond me. Now Flores is back to the Hip. He was 100% healthy 3 weeks ago. Hoping we trade our entire draft and Tua for Trevor Lawrence.

Forget Tua this year. Not going to happen. They obviously made the wrong choice, and Tua aint blowing it up in practice like they hoped for. The guy simply ain't NFL ready. How a guy don't start for a 5-11 team is beyond me. Now Flores is back to the Hip. He was 100% healthy 3 weeks ago. Hoping we trade our entire draft and Tua for Trevor Lawrence.
df137803.gif

If Tua was your normal, run-of-the-mill draft pick, there would be no problem with letting him sit all year. BUT, Tua suffered a serious injury and has not played a snap of football since he was hurt. The doctors have cleared him, so they must think that he's healthy. However, NO ONE can 100% guarantee that he can take a big hit and keep playing; it's possible that a big hit could knock him out of football. Sure, the odds are that he'll be okay, but it would be a HUGE gamble for Miami if they head into the next draft without seeing Tua play. (Practice doesn't count, as I'm sure no one is allowed to clobber Tua in practice!) Suppose Tua sits all year, Miami uses those early draft picks on other positions, and then one big hit in next preseason puts Tua on IR or out of football permanently. They'll be without their franchise QB; the season might not be a bust but they'll be using a back-up QB all year, and they'll probably not be in a position to draft another top QB in the following draft. IF Tua is fragile, then they need to know that before this season ends. With extra early draft picks for next year, it's Miami's best chance at selecting a new "QB of the future" should Tua prove to be too brittle to play.

Heading into next season without seeing Tua take a hit would be a completely stupid move. IMO, cutting Rosen before knowing if Tua can take a hit was a stupid move. I'd expect idiotic decisions like this from Philbin and Gase, but I was hoping the Flores regime would be different. All Tua needs is a little bit of playing time. Let's see him take a few hits. Will he jump right up ready for the next play? Great! If he can't get back up, that would be a bad break for Tua, but the team would be in position to get a replacement in the 2021 draft. Giving Tua some playing time THIS season is the logical thing to do!
Can you do that for anyone?

Can you do that for anyone?

I was going to clarify that remark, but didn't want to make my post too long. So... No, you can't guarantee that a player can take a hit and keep playing. And, any player at any time can be hurt, whether it's a minor injury, a serious injury, or knocked out of football for good.

After an injury, a player rehabs and heals, until the medical staff says he's ready to play again. Then the player will attend practices, and if he looks to be back to normal (or close enough), the coaching staff will play him on Sunday. According to what we've read, Tua is healed. But, is Tua being hit in practice? I doubt that Flores would take that chance. If not, then Tua's durability is a question mark until he gets in a game and takes a few hits.

I've always thought since the beginning of the year that if Fitz has just TWO bad games in a row, Tua will start. Flores wants to win, he did last year when the team was much worse. Fitzpatrick has followed up a bad game with a great game all year

He had surgery on said hip last November. Why is his health not a factor in this dynamic?

If Tua never gets hurt, Miami never gets him. And he plays game 1. But he did, we did and he didn't get the start.
He had surgery on said hip last November. Why is his health not a factor in this dynamic?

If Tua never gets hurt, Miami never gets him. And he plays game 1. But he did, we did and he didn't get the start.
So he injured his hip just shy of a year ago, but has been "fully cleared for all football activities" at the beginning of the offseason. Given this information, there are really only a few possibilities for why Tua isn't playing:

1. All the injury reports and doctors claims are false. His injury is not healed.
2. Flores is afraid to put him in because he doesn't believe the Dr reports
3. Tua is physically healed, but is emotionally scarred and not ready to play
4. Tua is healed, but is not picking up the playbook or is not able to perform to his draft position
5. Flores doesn't know how to handle his players

Pick whichever you like, but one or all of these are really the only things that make sense. Honestly, I think Tua is probably not living up to his draft hype, whether it is as a result of the injury or a mental thing, and Flores believes more time to "heal" will fix it. At this point, I doubt we will see him this season, and in typical Dolphins fashion, we won't know what we have until the end of next season when it is too late to leverage our awesome number of draft picks to potentially draft another "elite" level talent at the position. But hey, if the Dolphins didn't mismanage personnel and fail to plan for the future, it wouldn't really be the Dolphins, would it?

So he injured his hip just shy of a year ago, but has been "fully cleared for all football activities" at the beginning of the offseason. Given this information, there are really only a few possibilities for why Tua isn't playing:

1. All the injury reports and doctors claims are false. His injury is not healed.
4. Tua is healed, but is not picking up the playbook or is not able to perform to his draft position

Pick whichever you like, but one or all of these are really the only things that make sense. Honestly, I think Tua is probably not living up to his draft hype, whether it is as a result of the injury or a mental thing, and Flores believes more time to "heal" will fix it. At this point, I doubt we will see him this season, and in typical Dolphins fashion, we won't know what we have until the end of next season when it is too late to leverage our awesome number of draft picks to potentially draft another "elite" level talent at the position. But hey, if the Dolphins didn't mismanage personnel and fail to plan for the future, it wouldn't really be the Dolphins, would it?
A lot of hyperbole in this post.

Fitzpatrick has more wins than Burrow and Herbert combined this season. The simple truth is he will start until he plays poorly or we are eliminated from the playoffs. There is zero reason to put Tua into a game for garbage time week 5. Handing off the ball 3 times and punting is not meaningful snaps.

Just say you don't like Tua and go

Or the coaching staff and front office just decided Tua wasn't going to play this year from the very start...

I keep going back to Mahomes... when did he first get a shot in KC his rookie year.... game 16 and he's turned out pretty good.

Also, as someone with a medical understanding of Biomechanics and injuries, I really, truly don't believe Tua's hip injury is anything to worry about going forward..... The mechanism of that injury was absolutely freakish. I watched the Tua documentary and the only reason his hip broke is because a 300 lb lineman fell directly onto his back while his flexed knee got stuck in the turf. Something like the equivalent of maybe 1000lbs of force was driven through his femur into the socket of his hip joint. That would break anyone's hip so I really don't think there's a greater likelihood of suffering the same injury unless he got his the exact same way (like to the single degree of knee and hip flexion precise). I'd be much more concerned about him coming off a broken collarbone.

In summary, if the hip bone is 100% healed I don't think there's any issue or risk with him playing so it's got to be a concerted plan from the staff to let him learn and be ready for 2021.

Completely disagree with everything you just wrote, except the last sentence.

Let the young man sit and learn. His time is coming and you and the other Tua haters will get your chance to legitimately trash him.

Flores has been consistent from the start and has not wavered...Flores will play the players he thinks gives the Dolphins the best chance to win. Every week after watching film the coaches discuss and decide.

The other variable I heard Flores allude to last week was when he said regarding Tua playing that he thinks of how he would feel if a coach put in his kid after a significant hip injury that happened 10 months before.

This is not a make or break year for Flores as he is under contract through 2023. I respect the approach he is taking. He coaches every week to win, while he understands the big picture. This team is still early in a full rebuild. Tua will play when and not before the coaches decide it is the right time regardless of what impatient fans want.

Back
Top Bottom