“playmakers”: Miami dolphins 2015 edition | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“playmakers”: Miami dolphins 2015 edition

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
Is Jesse James is “The next Rob Gronkowski!” ?

"Jesse is just a freak of nature," fellow Penn State tight end Adam Brenemen said. "I don't know how else to describe him."

Really, there's no other way to describe the 6-foot-7, 272-pound tight end. Coaches and teammates tried their best Saturday to brainstorm other fitting adjectives or ways to encapsulate the junior's ability. But, without fail, they kept returning to that same phrase.

Added strength coach Dwight Galt: "He's a freak. ... Athletically, talent-wise, there's not another tight end in the country better than him, for sure. He's got speed, he's got strength, he's got agility, he's got size. He's got everything."
For a team like Miami which is desperate for a lot of playmakers on both sides of the ball, James is a logical choice who can give opposing defenses matchup nightmares. He stands at 6’-7” and 257 pounds and moves well for his size, both as a pass-catcher and run blocker. James has proven particularly dangerous in red-zone situations with eight touchdown catches (on 40 overall receptions) in the last two seasons. He and Clay would instantaneously improve the team’s end zone problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg7nTsBWZNg

Extra bonus “playmaker”:

I know the Dolphins drafted a RB from the University of Florida in 2013, Mike Gillislee but Gillislee lacked two things that Jones has: Size, and top-level speed. Florida lists Jones at 6'2" and 226 pounds right now, but Will Muschamp told reporters he was slightly bigger than that in late April. Oh, and he was running pretty fast.

Will Muschamp said Matt Jones weighed 230 and ran a 4.4 40-yard dash at Florida's team "combine" other day. #Gators
— Thomas Goldkamp (@Goldkamp247) May 1, 2013

In a deep running backs draft, I think he will be a good value in the 4[SUP]th[/SUP]/5[SUP]th[/SUP] rds to pair with Lamar Miller. He could be a poor man’s Leveon Bell. The guy is nicknamed “the iceman” for good reasons, something the Dolphins lacked last season.

James is good, but he was inconsistent this year, and he needs to work to become a more physical player. He's a below-average blocker and he doesn't get up the field the way Gronkowski does, but he does have an awful lot of potential.

I wonder how these kids feel when they see they are called "freaks".

One of the things that separates Gronk from every other TE out there is he 'imposes his will' on the defense. In my view, this significantly adds to his overall dominance.

This kid Jesse James - nice ish player, but the play from 0.26 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg7nTsBWZNg&t=0m26s shows that he doesn't have this element of his game. He's listed at 272lbs and does not use this as an advantage against DB's that are probably in the 190-210lbs range by trying to demolish them as he runs which can change how the defense plays him - he appears to me on tape as being a bit soft.

6th/7th round development prospect.

One of the things that separates Gronk from every other TE out there is he 'imposes his will' on the defense. In my view, this significantly adds to his overall dominance.

This kid Jesse James - nice ish player, but the play from 0.26 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg7nTsBWZNg&t=0m26s shows that he doesn't have this element of his game. He's listed at 272lbs and does not use this as an advantage against DB's that are probably in the 190-210lbs range by trying to demolish them as he runs which can change how the defense plays him - he appears to me on tape as being a bit soft.

6th/7th round development prospect.

No freaking way this guy makes it to the 6th, no way!

The last freak of nature the Dolphins drafted was Dion "I can't get on the field even though I was the number 3 pick in the draft" Jordan. Do you really think the Dolphins need to strike out on another "freak of nature". Get us solid guys who can block, catch the ball, tackle and cover.

Back
Top Bottom